If you could bring back any retired vehicle from your transit system what would it be?

OC Transpo: 1993 Classics (Are we supposed to pick one, or as many as we want?) If it can be more than one bus, also any D40, Fishbowls, 1991-1998 Orion Vs, or any other kind of Classic.

STO: 1996-1997 Classics

Reasons for OC: The Nova Classics were retired six years too early in my opinion. The other OC classics were at least 22 years old when they all were retired. 8792 almost made it to 23. They should have lasted at least into 2012. 9307 seemed to be the one that held up the most. As for the Vs, I never rode a '91 or '92, so I would like to see what it is like to ride one. The '97s and '98s, I loved them except for the seats, but IF it was possible, I would retrofit them with the pink Otaco seats. I never rode fishbowls either. And for the other kind of Classics, why not? If I'm bringing back the Novas, might as well bring the rest of them back. Plus, you just can't go wrong with a Classic, unless it's one of the S50 ones.

Reasons for STO: They were the only Classics that went fast on the highway, plus the S50 sounds really good in a Classic. S50 Classics often have rust and electrical issues though.

Just now, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

OC Transpo: 1993 Classics (Are we supposed to pick one, or as many as we want?) If it can be more than one bus, also any D40, Orion V, or any other kind of Classic.

STO: 1996-1997 Classics

Sure you can choose more than one vehicle!

On 2017-09-25 at 10:05 PM, ONQCBusFan said:

Sure you can choose more than one vehicle!

Then make it any of those OC buses mentioned!

For STO, I would also bring back all three of the ex OC Classics specifically, plus the two 77xx fishbowls!

For the STO, hands down no question it would be either 8307 or 8308, as these were single-door Fishbowls once equipped with washrooms for charter service:

STO8307.jpg

For OC Transpo, probably one of the ex-Santa Monica Fishbowls before they were refurbished to match OC's other buses:

OC1770.jpg

4 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

For the STO, hands down no question it would be either 8307 or 8308, as these were single-door Fishbowls once equipped with washrooms for charter service:

STO8307.jpg

For OC Transpo, probably one of the ex-Santa Monica Fishbowls before they were refurbished to match OC's other buses:

OC1770.jpg

A fishbowl with a washroom in it? Cool! Where'd they locate it, though?

3 hours ago, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

A fishbowl with a washroom in it? Cool! Where'd they locate it, though?

It was located at the back on the door side, the same place as a Greyhound coach.  I can't recall what the CTCRO did with the nearby side window--it was likely fogged or blacked out--though the washroom did not have access to the back window.  However, the washrooms were later removed, so by the time I got to ride or photograph one of the 1983 buses, the washrooms were long gone.

1 hour ago, tomsbuspage said:

It was located at the back on the door side, the same place as a Greyhound coach.  I can't recall what the CTCRO did with the nearby side window--it was likely fogged or blacked out--though the washroom did not have access to the back window.  However, the washrooms were later removed, so by the time I got to ride or photograph one of the 1983 buses, the washrooms were long gone.

OK, that makes sense.

3 minutes ago, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

OK, that makes sense. Random question, but does anybody know if 8001-8005 were original STO fishbowls?

Please ask that some where else. your off topic!

How about this bad boy here:

TTC 1982 GM New Look #2311

They were the workhorses of Toronto for 50 years. Since #8058 and #8752 (#2252) are being refurbished, they could be used again similar to STO #7901 did given the fact the TTC has a number of streetcar deliveries behind schedule and a number of streetcar routes are resorting to use buses.

• Like 1

For OC Transpo: 1991-92 Orion V's. I love the sound of the Detroit Diesel 6V92TA engine with the Allison HTB-748 transmission combination. 

• Like 3

What would actually be interesting is if people actually specified a specific bus and why.

Not this generic, basically anything and everything with a 6V92TA, or any high floor, or any New Flyer, or anything  that started off with "T" in the model number etc.

I do salute the Captain though. Can't go wrong with a BBC trolley coach.

Mine? 

It's a bit of a toss up between ETS 30, 510, 515, 531 and to a lesser degree, 550, as they all mean a lot to me. 

510 was the last 1966 ETS 5303 on the road. Got a significant ride on it in 2000 from West Edmonton Mall on a PM tripper on the #2 to Clareview, which was then promptly followed up by photographing RaiLink/ Rail America FP9u 1401. My first and only F unit hauling freight.

515 was the last Ferrier (my local garage) 5303 on the road, and I had a good ride and few pics of it on the 67 (local route)/ 87 interline.

531 was the last ETS 5303 on the road. Tracked her down during the summer of 2001 when she was running a 2001 IAAF shuttle out near Jasper Place. Naturally, she was retired after the IAAF games that summer.

550 was the last 1972 5307 out of Ferrier. 

30 though.... The "Slim Jim's' were few in the ETS fleet, but, I encountered them on my local route, the 67, which was how I came to know that they existed. Trust me. Without really knowing that the internet existed in 1998, finding out that GM built a bus shorter than a 40' and your City runs a tiny fleet of them numbered below the ELF's is pretty much mind blowing to a 15 year old transit fan. 

A few buses were retired, the fleet was consolidated, and they disappeared from the 67. The summer of 1998 they were parked in the Ferrier Compound, often that meant the death of a bus. However, that fall a few of the "Slim Jim's", including 30,  disappeared from the yard. I inferred they weren't scrapped as other stuff was still in the yard that was clearly retired. To track them down I didn't use technology. It didn't exist!! I looked at other retired "Slim Jim's" and the routes they were last used on, as evident from their roll signs... I looked at my photos of the buses in the Ferrier Compound... taken with film and developing paid for from delivering flyers... I decided to stake out this route 80 and see what I found. That meant though going to the Centennial Library- the only place I could get the appropriate paper route brochures.

#30 was the net result. I actually spotted #28 first, and just missed it. A 20 minute wait later and along came #30 into Southgate Transit Centre. I can literally still see in my head, very clearly, #28 Eastbound on 51 Ave at 106 St. That was the moment that I knew I actually knew what the hell I was doing and my time and guessing had paid off. Now, the 80 wasn't just the 80. It interlined at Capilano with the then #89, renumbered a few years later to the #99 (in honour of Wayne Gretzky after his retirement as the route passed the Coliseum). As a result, I rode #30 from Southgate to Capilano via the Route 80, and then to Belvedere via the 89. Follow the route on a map. You'll see the amount of time and distance I covered on that bus!

I can't say that they are pretty photos of #30.... behind a fence with growing trees, and then a flash shot, but, what the photo of #30 means to me on the 89 at Belvedere is simply beyond comparison.

A year later in 1999, and some further "retired roll sign" investigations, I would take my photography hobby to a new level by exposing my first Fujichrome Sensia II frames on #28 at West Edmonton Mall on the 108. 10 years later I would take #722 on my Farewell to GM charter to that same Potter Green's loop that #30 and siblings would have spent their last days running to (plus their usual 121/122/123 industrial routes). 

ets30-5.jpg
ets30-6.jpg

ets28.jpg
ets31-2.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

What would actually be interesting is if people actually specified a specific bus and why.

Well, It doesn't really matter how you answer the question. You can list as many as vehicle as you want and you can explain why if you want to.  I just put this thread up because I know a lot of you miss the good old days of these vehicle and wish you could go back in time just to ride them. 

Anyway, It's up to you what you want to do about it. 

The vehicles that should be brought back from retirement are:

OCTA

1995 and 1997-1998 New Flyer D40LFs: Garden Grove yard still has their 1997 and 1998 New Flyer buses that are used as training buses.

1999 New Flyer D60LF: These buses only lasted 11 years and all units reached 500,000 miles by 2010.

2001 New Flyer D60LF

LACMTA

2002-2004 NABI 40C-LFW CNG: These Compobuses never got a retank, and many people didn't like them; the front and back seats caused back pain if a rider were to sit in one of those seats. The only Compobus I rode was unit 7994 on Metro Local line 70.

1998-1999 New Flyer C40: Just because they have 8.9L Cummins Westport ISL G engines, doesn't mean that these high floor buses lasted long enough.

1999-2000 NABI 40-LFW CNG: There are 5 buses that are mostly used as training buses, but I never got the chance to ride one single unit.

1998 New Flyer D40LF: Metro didn't send these diesel buses after retirement in 2010 to MV Transportation since the Orion VI vehicles weren't subject for replacements back then.

1997-1998 Neoplan AN440A: 6435 is still in Division 12 but it has to be brought back into service along with other Division 10, 12, and CMF vehicles because the Orions are starting to disintegrate as a result of MV Transportation's improper maintenance procedures.

Omnitrans

2001 New Flyer C40LF: These vehicles (131-141) with Cummins Westport C Gas Plus engines disappeared from the fleet when I first went on the bus tracker website (www.transsee.ca) for Omnitrans and entered fleet numbers 1-10000. Then, it showed me units 101-125 are in service but it didn't include units 131-141.

Long Beach Transit

1995, 1996, and 1997 New Flyer D40LFs: Two units (9708 and 9714) are still in the fleet. The one bus I'm trying to ride is 9708 and I haven't rode this unit yet but it might still be in service.

2002 New Flyer D60LF: These buses only lasted 12 years before being replaced by the XN60s, due to their highly inferior Detroit Diesel Series 50 EGR engines. If these buses were rebuilt and got Cummins ISL engines, then these buses should've lasted much longer like the 9700s, 9800s, 2000s, and 2200s.

OCTA 7420.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

OCTA 5331.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ONQCBusFan said:

Well, It doesn't really matter how you answer the question. You can list as many as vehicle as you want and you can explain why if you want to.  I just put this thread up because I know a lot of you miss the good old days of these vehicle and wish you could go back in time just to ride them. 

Anyway, It's up to you what you want to do about it. 

That's it though. It's a foam fest.

Seems no one can actually come up with any creative writing? Nothing insightful into who/ what/ when/ where/ why?

How does this actually expand beyond a foam fest over everything and anything, instead of something that could actually lead to a creative discussion, and in the long run, something more in tune with this board as a 'discussion' board'?

I count 19 different combinations of year/ buses/ models/ agencies in OCTD 2039's post.

I guess I'm looking for some legitimacy and something that could lead on from here which doesn't exist, beyond a foam fest? :(

It's interesting how few so called "long term" or "senior" users have weighted in on this thread eh? Makes you go "hmmmmmm" doesn't it? They're the ones that could really weight in on the "good old days".

I tried to stoke something here- I see it's not worth my time and reaffirms my long standing point of view other discussion boards and my website are a more valuable use of my time. 

GO Transit: GM fishbowls; especially the 1120 series.

TTC: Gloucesters and Flyer D800s (If I had to choose between D800A and D800B, I'd choose D800B), Flyer trolleybuses (Never got to ride one), GM Artics.

Brampton: Flyer D800, 35 foot fishbowls.

YRT: Fishbowls, Flyer D900s.