Jump to content
Dr. BusFreak

2017 Alexander Dennis Enviro 500 trial

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, TranslinkKid said:

I recall seeing a photo of 1009 with a triple bike rack. Any reason why it was switched with a double bike rack?

Headlights? (Same reason the LFRs use that custom double bike rack.) Was it a standard double rack, or the custom one used on the LFRs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

Headlights? (Same reason the LFRs use that custom double bike rack.) Was it a standard double rack, or the custom one used on the LFRs?

Pretty sure it is a standard double rack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

Headlights? (Same reason the LFRs use that custom double bike rack.) Was it a standard double rack, or the custom one used on the LFRs?

Then I wanna say that perhaps TransLink doesn't want to give the impression that if they were to actually go and order them, that they would be able to carry 3 bikes (rather than the standard two).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Express691 said:

Then I wanna say that perhaps TransLink doesn't want to give the impression that if they were to actually go and order them, that they would be able to carry 3 bikes (rather than the standard two).

If that were true, they’d probably remove the USB charging ports too.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Citaro said:

If that were true, they’d probably remove the USB charging ports too.

Or at least de-activate them. Thats what happened when I tried charging my tablet on 1008 around 1 week ago. Wouldnt work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2017 at 3:02 PM, LegoNovaLFS2001 said:

Well, since we are going to bring up the Altoona report...

 

  • The Altoona report indicates there are 87 USSC seats in the Enviro 500. The wiki says there's 86 of 4ONE Aries and Lazzerini seating, so there is some proof of the engine being refit to have an ISX. It has a larger liter displacement than the ISL9, and bus builders/transit companies have been known to reconfigure the interior of a bus to support a new engine (An example is Montebello Bus Lines of California: They had sent their 1991 RTS to Complete Coach works to be refitted with Detroit Diesel Series 50 engines, and the rear seating was raised to support the size of the Series 50 engine. Additionally, nearly every bus with the ISM engine has received a body extension/modification to support the size).  

USSC is now 4ONE, most use the names interchangeably.

Meanwhile, the count is off by one... that is not "proof of the engine being refit to have an ISX."

 

The S50 repowers on vehicles meant to take a V-style engine were among the only repowers I'm aware of that required a seating configuration change (due to the giant cylinders configured straight versus more, smaller cylinders in a V configuration). This made the S50 a very tall engine... I would not use this unique engine and the handful of repowers a decade and a half ago as "evidence."

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, northwesterner said:

USSC is now 4ONE, most use the names interchangeably.

Meanwhile, the count is off by one... that is not "proof of the engine being refit to have an ISX."

 

The S50 repowers on vehicles meant to take a V-style engine were among the only repowers I'm aware of that required a seating configuration change (due to the giant cylinders configured straight versus more, smaller cylinders in a V configuration). This made the S50 a very tall engine... I would not use this unique engine and the handful of repowers a decade and a half ago as "evidence."

 

I don't see why you chose to continue a debate that was settled over a week ago. Unless you were late to the party, your response was unnecessary. 

 

But, while people still see point to come here, my point was that the change in overall capacity suggests the bus was returned to Alexander Dennis and was reconfigured to have an ISX. Since you seem to love my evidence, here's some more for you:

  •  A charter company by the name of MARTZ (from Camden, NJ, if I remember correctly)has had a handful of MCI E models rebuilt at Atlantic Detroit Diesel to use a Series 60 with an Allison transmission (previously CAT C13/ZF Astronic). To counter my point and to somewhat agree with yours, the few repowers done within the last 10-20 years have not really required an interior change, because the engine used for repowering fits in the cavity reserved for it (NYCMTA #4899 is an example).

 

  • Another model that has required modifications for an engine that may not fit is the Orion V. Buses with the Series 50 engine equipped had the middle portion of seats removed to better support the height of the engine, as you say.

 

  • Another example is Greater Bridgeport Transit, of Bridgeport, CT. All of their LF series buses were repowered to utilize the ISL (previously Series 50 EGR). Some more of my "evidence" that could support the idea that an engine of a somewhat larger size could be fit into a transit bus.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LegoNovaLFS2001 said:

 

I don't see why you chose to continue a debate that was settled over a week ago. Unless you were late to the party, your response was unnecessary. 

I read through the responses before and after in the thread, and there is no evidence of the debate being "settled." 

I'm not new here. I don't make posts for the sake of increasing my post count. If I felt like replying, then I determined that my response was necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noticed that 1008 was pulled off its all-day 620 block and 1009 only did a block in the morning - presumably because they didn't want the buses out in the slippery conditions. Can't really say I blame Translink for that, but it makes me wonder what'd happen with 27 in the permanent fleet... hopefully they would plan ahead and have extra buses at RTC for the season just to be safe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ThatBusGuy said:

Noticed that 1008 was pulled off its all-day 620 block and 1009 only did a block in the morning - presumably because they didn't want the buses out in the slippery conditions. Can't really say I blame Translink for that, but it makes me wonder what'd happen with 27 in the permanent fleet... hopefully they would plan ahead and have extra buses at RTC for the season just to be safe

I imagine what would happen is the same as in Victoria, they'd just struggle like everything else. 

 

As for today, what I think is Translink didn't want to crash buses they don't own. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dane said:

I imagine what would happen is the same as in Victoria, they'd just struggle like everything else. 

 

As for today, what I think is Translink didn't want to crash buses they don't own. 

That is correct.  We were told during the Decker training that they would be pulled from service if it snowed because they are loaners and not owned by TL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

BOTH deckers were on Track 1 at RTC tonight. Not sure if this is significant though.

Isn't that one of the fueling/servicing tracks for all buses in the evening ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2017 at 5:21 AM, NotQuite said:

Isn't that one of the fueling/servicing tracks for all buses in the evening ?

I believe so.  Also, most mornings the decker(s) don't appear on the assigned track until shortly before their out driver report times.  They seem to be stored either in the shop or on the maintenance slots to the west of the shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have received word that decker training for Surrey drivers booked on line 301 starts some time within the next couple of weeks. A good friend of mine who has block 23/301 for the late night long haul goes in for her training on the 16th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThatBusGuy said:

1009 has joined its counterpart on the 555

Actually, each evening the DD's are swapped between RTC and PCTC.  Apparently RTC is the only depot currently able to service the DD's.  They don't fit into the service bays etc, other than at RTC.  So each night, the one at RTC is serviced and fueled and then driven to (currently) PCTC and the one at (currently) PCTC is brought back to RTC for fuel and service.  At RTC some modifications were needed to at least one service bay to allow the DD's to be raised on a hoist.  It is my understanding that STC will be handled the same way when testing begins on the 301. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/01/2018 at 12:30 PM, NotQuite said:

Actually, each evening the DD's are swapped between RTC and PCTC.  Apparently RTC is the only depot currently able to service the DD's.  They don't fit into the service bays etc, other than at RTC.  So each night, the one at RTC is serviced and fueled and then driven to (currently) PCTC and the one at (currently) PCTC is brought back to RTC for fuel and service.  At RTC some modifications were needed to at least one service bay to allow the DD's to be raised on a hoist.  It is my understanding that STC will be handled the same way when testing begins on the 301. 

It seems TransLink has stopped swapping the double-decker between PCTC and RTC. 1008 has been at RTC since the 5th and 1009 has been at PCTC since the 5th as well. Although I presume 1009 still goes back to RTC to re-fuel and get serviced?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

It seems TransLink has stopped swapping the double-decker between PCTC and RTC. 1008 has been at RTC since the 5th and 1009 has been at PCTC since the 5th as well. Although I presume 1009 still goes back to RTC to re-fuel and get serviced?

They're back to swapping - 1008 is on the 555 this morning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kmb3asv141 said:

Are both demos' engine hp is 380hp?

This debate took a few pages to clear up (but nothing came out of it). Drivers have no permission to open the engine hatch. 

 

Also:

I recommend if we stop posting when the DD buses will switch between RTC and PCT (and STC in the future). This might just get annoying, and besides: both are running on the 620 today anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Express691 said:

This debate took a few pages to clear up (but nothing came out of it). Drivers have no permission to open the engine hatch. 

 

Also:

I recommend if we stop posting when the DD buses will switch between RTC and PCT (and STC in the future). This might just get annoying, and besides: both are running on the 620 today anyways.

Since they don't have permission, this is just speculation.

I've asked quite a few drivers, and they all say 1008 is 380hp, with 1009 being 330hp. Both ISL9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×