Dr. BusFreak

2017 Alexander Dennis Enviro 500 trial

Since sightings of double deckers are starting, that means there will probably be the need for this thread very soon. So I decided to create the thread now before future discussions about the double deckers start cluttering other threads that have absolutely nothing to do with the double deckers. 

Please post any of the following here: 

- Sightings regarding the double deckers

- Photos of the double deckers

- Discussion that involve the double deckers

Are you sure it's super lo height ones? This one I saw just said "low height" on the left side. They were showing it off to the operators here at RTC all week. 

11 hours ago, Large Cat said:

I like deckers.

I like sandwiches.

Double decker sandwiches....

Made with 100% composite materials to satisfy all your double decker sandwich needs.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2017 at 10:36 PM, Phillip said:

Are you sure it's super lo height ones? This one I saw just said "low height" on the left side. They were showing it off to the operators here at RTC all week. 

The one that was at RTC is 13'6" tall.  Or so said the Alexander Dennis Rep.  I am pretty sure that makes it a Super Lo Height model.  We were told that it WILL fit in the tunnel and will fit anywhere a legal height tractor trailer will fit.  The rep also said that Alexander Dennis has a number of shows to attend before they will be delivering our trial models and they will have a 'transit configuration seating' rather than the configuration on the demonstrator that he was driving.  We will likely not get the trial units until Late September or October according to what the rep told me.

• Like 1

The demo you have is not the SuperLo model. The SuperLo in 3.9 metres tall.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ADB said:

The demo you have is not the SuperLo model. The SuperLo in 3.9 metres tall.

I sit and type corrected.  Thanks.  To the best of my recollection the bus that was at RTC was the same type/style as the ones we will be testing.  As long as it fits the tunnel.  The SuperLo must have even less head room on the upper and even on the lower decks.  I am not all that tall and had insufficient head room at the back of the lower deck.  Even the front of the lower deck was very low head room.  I have difficulty imagining actuall people on either deck of a coach just under 12'10' tall  !!

1 hour ago, NotQuite said:

I sit and type corrected.  Thanks.  To the best of my recollection the bus that was at RTC was the same type/style as the ones we will be testing.  As long as it fits the tunnel.  The SuperLo must have even less head room on the upper and even on the lower decks.  I am not all that tall and had insufficient head room at the back of the lower deck.  Even the front of the lower deck was very low head room.  I have difficulty imagining actuall people on either deck of a coach just under 12'10' tall  !!

Yeah, from the pictures, the bus you guys have is the 4.1 metre tall demo that was built in 2014. The head room on this one and on the SuperLo is the same on the upper deck. Where they reduced the height on the SuperLo is on the lower deck. I didn't notice too much of a difference. However I did find the roof already kind of low when sitting in the raised section in the lower deck of the standard height E500. The SuperLo has baggage compartments instead in that section. Attached is a view of the lower deck of a SuperLo.

IMG_2060.JPG

• Like 1

On 8/20/2017 at 11:21 PM, Large Cat said:

I like deckers.

I like sandwiches.

Double decker sandwiches....

Should've signed RTC Mr. Cat...

Just sayin'. ;)

• Like 1

In order to prepare for the trial, you need a bus with extremely large roof fairings. That is why 7190 has been restored. (The person who took these photos asked me to post them here)

FB_IMG_1505756640168.thumb.jpg.ff01a67580149d5ec6c77ab882991571.jpg

FB_IMG_1505756636097.thumb.jpg.df83758422317ea8185cfaf73c9038c6.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I figured that it was some sort of height trial when I saw 7190 earlier today coming into Tsawwassen with wood planks set above it. I presume it will run on all the routes that the double deckers will be running on.

1 hour ago, Express691 said:

Which is hilarious because Ive seen people commenting this photo as the "dream translink bus"

59c431a208f1f_download(3).thumb.jpg.6a388ea9d87fb2d16bc179e2a1654982.jpg

That bus looks like it would be so easy to flip over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buizel10 said:

"Highway coaches are nearing their retirement"

Is this true?

2 years is actually soon. I expect them to be 18-19 when retired.

23 minutes ago, Express691 said:

2 years is actually soon. I expect them to be 18-19 when retired.

Question -

Don't high floors (Orion V 2001) last longer than low floors? That's what I heard?

Btw, beside those suburban routes, do you think 49 is the good idea to trial the double decker?? Specially 49 was already moved out of the bus loop in Metrotown~~

10 minutes ago, Cathay 888 said:

Btw, beside those suburban routes, do you think 49 is the good idea to trial the double decker?? Specially 49 was already moved out of the bus loop in Metrotown~~

49 is a stop and go service. Unloading and loading would slow it down even further as people come down from the top deck. It's the same explanation why the decker's won't be a good fit on the 43, 99, 95, etc.

On most suburban routes, buses are actually given time to layover and unload unlike frequent, local routes. SS Park and Ride and South Delta exchange come to mind, as that's where most people on the bus get off.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Express691 said:

49 is a stop and go service. Unloading and loading would slow it down even further as people come down from the top deck. It's the same explanation why the decker's won't be a good fit on the 43, 99, 95, etc.

On most suburban routes, buses are actually given time to layover and unload unlike frequent, local routes. SS Park and Ride and South Delta exchange come to mind, as that's where most people on the bus get off.

What about the 620? Would it continue to use artics or will the route switch to double deckers?

1 hour ago, Express691 said:

I would respectfully disagree with your statement quoted above.  As a Spareboard Operator out of RTC I have driven many different suburban runs over the last few years.  With 'Service Optimization' in full swing there have been a significant number of times that runs have been 'scheduled' 3 minutes or less of 'recovery' time at Bridgeport Station during Rush hour.  This is insufficient to unload an single door coach with a narrow aisle.  Let alone to attend to personal needs etc. Particularly if the bus is full and may have a chair aboard.  And during rush hour it is seldom possible to actually arrive on time.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2017 at 1:12 PM, Cathay 888 said:

Noooooo... No, no and no.

Way too much passenger turnover for that.

• Like 3