2018 SkyTrain Procurement

Express691

On 7/7/2019 at 10:36 AM, 8010 said:

From the looks of it they moved all of their metro products under a single brand, the Innovia Metro brand has been discontinued but the actual product is still in production.

Looks like INNOVIA is still active for People Mover and Monorail. Looks like this is correct.

1 hour ago, briguychau said:

The newer Mk 3 trains (429+) seems to have dropped the Evergreen Extension branding from the in-train route diagram.

Not surprising. Most of the signage I’ve seen installed after the opening of the extension has done likewise. (And for the better. The “Evergreen Extension” branding appearing so prominently was a wayfinding nightmare.)

• Like 1

Just now, dpogue said:

440 had some issues yesterday afternoon, probably pulled from service until some more testing is done.

It was pulled out of service: Yesterday it had its emergency brakes on and red lights flashing at Metrotown pocket track.

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.d5f50a11f797017044f16c8e048a5728.png

An observation I made while checking out the Expo extension page. The chart states that the estimated amount of new trains ordered will be either 25, 35, or 55 depending on how much of the extension is built. Neither of those three numbers is a multiple of 4 - but they are all divisible by 5. Could this be a hint pointing to 5-car trains on the Expo Line soon?

24 minutes ago, FlyingPig said:

image.thumb.png.d5f50a11f797017044f16c8e048a5728.png

An observation I made while checking out the Expo extension page. The chart states that the estimated amount of new trains ordered will be either 25, 35, or 55 depending on how much of the extension is built. Neither of those three numbers is a multiple of 4 - but they are all divisible by 5. Could this be a hint pointing to 5-car trains on the Expo Line soon?

There's already been much news of the new extension getting 5 car instead of 4 car trains.

I think 5 car trains are all but confirmed at this point for future orders.

For the next order (Mk 1 replacement + Arbutus extension), they recently did the the survey asking about what seats people want and stuff. It's going to be sizeable order too, where 25 trains will replace the Mk 1s and the rest will be for expansion. Interestingly, sources differ on the number of train cars, but I've seen either 200 or 203. If it's 200 then it'll probably be 40x 5-car trains. If it's 203, one possibility would be 35x 5-car (175) + 7x 4-car (28), as stated on the wiki.

If the order is indeed for 203 cars, I wonder if the 4-car trains will be Mk 3s while they'll have a new design/train type for "Mk 4s".

13 hours ago, briguychau said:

If the order is indeed for 203 cars, I wonder if the 4-car trains will be Mk 3s while they'll have a new design/train type for "Mk 4s".

If it's a Bombardier order all cars will be Mark 3 cars. The Mark 3 design can go up to 6-car trains I believe.

11 hours ago, 8010 said:

If it's a Bombardier order all cars will be Mark 3 cars. The Mark 3 design can go up to 6-car trains I believe.

New types in 1984 (mk1), 2001 (mk2), and 2015 (mk3). The mark 4 isnt due until 2030-ish, so I agree that this next order will/should be for mk3s. 

I disagree, however, with the speculation that middle cars will be added to current trains. It was speculated in 2001 and 2009 for the mk1s, but we found out that doing so made it so that the middle car would be much younger than the 2 end cars.

What they can do to achieve an odd-car setup, however, is to remove the dead-end of 2 cars and permanently join them together to make continuous 4 or 5 car trains. It's been done in Malaysia for a mark 2, as I edit this post to find the link.

I also remember that certain models of mark 2 can operate in single-vehicle fashion: Airtrain and Yongin everline.

======================

We will not be getting a FIVEFIVEFIVE SkyTrain. Either the entire order of mark 3 trains goes to 525-528 or they start a new order of 501-544.

What is conclusive is that the next order for 200+ cars will be starting with car number 601.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2019 at 11:22 AM, Express691 said:

We will not be getting a FIVEFIVEFIVE SkyTrain. Either the entire order of mark 3 trains goes to 525-528 or they start a new order of 501-544.

What is conclusive is that the next order for 200+ cars will be starting with car number 601.

1. I assume you mean 485, instead of 525.

2. Is it confirmed that the "remaining" 44 cars for the Mk 3 order for 2024 is not part of the 205+ in the RFP from the other thread?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...