Jump to content
Express691

2018/2019 Electric Bus Project

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

My photos of the Novas can be found on the wiki

This is more of a wiki edit, but can you append the CMBC page to include the 6 additional buses that were recently approved?

For reference, see page 12 of the most recent board meeting:
https://www.translink.ca/-/media/Documents/about_translink/governance_and_board/board_minutes_and_reports/2019/march/2019_22_03_Open_Board_Meeting_Report.pdf

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The recent board meeting also included references to the future Marpole Transit Centre, which will accommodate both battery buses and diesel electric hybrids. Completion is due in 2023. Sounds like they won't be using VTC for the battery bus fleet at least  initially.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VTC will be the trolley depot while MTC will be the non trolley depot.  I wouldn't be surprised if the 9600's at VTC get replaced with battery buses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Brando737 said:

VTC will be the trolley depot while MTC will be the non trolley depot.  I wouldn't be surprised if the 9600's at VTC get replaced with battery buses.

Will MTC be a satellite for VTC meaning you can sign trolley/diesel work at both? Or will they be signed as individual depots? There will be days when trolley routes become dieselized and they will need to use MTC for that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Phillip said:

Will MTC be a satellite for VTC meaning you can sign trolley/diesel work at both? Or will they be signed as individual depots? There will be days when trolley routes become dieselized and they will need to use MTC for that. 

It sounds odd when you dieselize the trolley buses and use the battery buses. The fans need to come up with a different term lol. (Refer to the 4 and 7 right now).

I think there will be enough battery buses in the fleet for trolley replacement, should such a need arise.

...if of course there are chargers built in other places

Edited by Express691

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Express691 said:

It sounds odd when you dieselize the trolley buses and use the battery buses. The fans need to come up with a different term lol.

How about 'Ebustitute'

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Express691 said:

It sounds odd when you dieselize the trolley buses and use the battery buses. The fans need to come up with a different term lol.

Even dieselize is already outdated because of hybrid buses! Or like you said battery buses in the near future!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

How about 'Ebustitute'

"Unplug"

3 minutes ago, Phillip said:

Even dieselize is outdated because of hybrid buses! Or like you said battery buses in the near future!

"Dewire"

Works for any trolley (or in TTC's case streetcar) substitution

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Phillip said:

Will MTC be a satellite for VTC meaning you can sign trolley/diesel work at both? Or will they be signed as individual depots? There will be days when trolley routes become dieselized and they will need to use MTC for that. 

Maybe they won't need to do that for special events. One scenario is that TL will buy battery-trolleybuses with In Motion Charging as well as a fleet of battery electric buses. In which case detours will be handled by the trolleybus having say 20km off wire range.

 

3 hours ago, Express691 said:

It sounds odd when you dieselize the trolley buses and use the battery buses. The fans need to come up with a different term lol. (Refer to the 4 and 7 right now).

I think there will be enough battery buses in the fleet for trolley replacement, should such a need arise.

...if of course there are chargers built in other places

That is one of the downsides of using opportunity charging.  The BEBs can only run on routes where there are chargers at the terminals.

Overnight charging is more flexible on routing but has the downside heavy battery weight and possible range problems in cold weather.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I've heard MTC will be its own depot so I'm not sure how that will work for trolley routes needing wireless buses either for long term or short term.  There will be a 2 year gap between MTC opening and the earliest retirement time for the current trolley's and I highly doubt they would replace them before they reach 20 years of service.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, neopasturquoise said:

It is already June...

Marpole Loop Bay 5 20190603.png

They still got like 30ish more days to meet their deadline. Translink never said it would be done on the first of June. And if they did Translink is almost never on time (except for the launch of the Canada Line)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how accurate the positioning of the bus needs to be, in order to connect with the pantograph coming down from the charging unit. In some countries they install a small hump in the paving so the driver can "feel" when they've reached the right place to park and charge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20190607_084914.thumb.jpg.b60f0b61e9d98118649e550d674658ae.jpg

Novabus LFSe max capacity is around a dozen less than the usual load.

Weight concerns and the fact that this is among Nova's first experience with making BEBs are likely contributors as to why the maximum capacity is lower than that of other 40" buses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Express691 said:

20190607_084914.thumb.jpg.b60f0b61e9d98118649e550d674658ae.jpg

Novabus LFSe max capacity is around a dozen less than the usual load.

Weight concerns and the fact that this is among Nova's first experience with making BEBs are likely contributors as to why the maximum capacity is lower than that of other 40" buses.

From my observations worldwide, it is normal that BEBs have a restricted passenger capacity because of weight regulations. The shortfall seems to be around 15% to 20% e.g. the  Marcedes e-Citaro in Germany or the Solaris BEB version of the Urbino, made in Poland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, martin607 said:

From my observations worldwide, it is normal that BEBs have a restricted passenger capacity because of weight regulations. The shortfall seems to be around 15% to 20% e.g. the  Marcedes e-Citaro in Germany or the Solaris BEB version of the Urbino, made in Poland.

Just what the 100 needs, weight regulations that results in less capacity. (Sarcasm for those who don't get it)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Express691 said:

20190607_084914.thumb.jpg.b60f0b61e9d98118649e550d674658ae.jpg

Novabus LFSe max capacity is around a dozen less than the usual load.

Weight concerns and the fact that this is among Nova's first experience with making BEBs are likely contributors as to why the maximum capacity is lower than that of other 40" buses.

That's 1998 C40LF capacity. What's the capacity of a comparable trolley?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Community Shuttle said:

 That's 1998 C40LF capacity. What's the capacity of a comparable trolley?

Depending on the seat layout, the maximum load on a 12 m trolleybus is 78 passengers but I have seen 73 suggested.  Either way the BEB seems to have a shortfall of about 12 passengers (about 16%) compared with either diesel or trolleybus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, martin607 said:

Depending on the seat layout, the maximum load on a 12 m trolleybus is 78 passengers but I have seen 73 suggested.  Either way the BEB seems to have a shortfall of about 12 passengers (about 16%) compared with either diesel or trolleybus.

Is it the same for the D40LF/R? The wiki just says 39 (seated)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

Is it the same for the D40LF/R? The wiki just says 39 (seated)

I believe they are capped at 73 or 74 (standing).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FlyingPig said:

I believe they are capped at 73 or 74 (standing).

NoSubs are capped at Sixty-Nine

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They’ve installed the overhead charger over the weekend at Marpole loop. 

Edit: Added a couple of photos. 

652B1653-C403-4498-8C46-B52A4D37CF9A.thumb.jpeg.94bcf40ccff8ec412633b7696e4fa292.jpeg

DDC8690C-54B2-4F89-93F7-903E6B73A0BF.thumb.jpeg.8a07adac3cd1b5ffa05e374ee55618c5.jpeg

 

Edited by translink
Added photos
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...