2018/2019 Electric Bus Project

Express691

19 minutes ago, 8010 said:

I was on 19303 today, the driver was told to not bother charging in Marpole and to just keep going. I was a bit skeptical that it was going to make it to 22nd Street Station but it made it.

I was told that the XE40 has enough range to go for a full day, but that they are to charge at each end regardless of the need. Good news for the Nova, which I was also told has a very limited range of just 40 km (supposedly).

• Like 2

With 19302 & 303 on the road now for the past month & a half or so HTC is still booking out the 4 electrics for the AM & PM rush. You would figure with this amount of time of being out on the road that the book outs would've been longer by now? I don't recall of hearing any bugs that have to worked out? Has anyone heard a timeline of when when their hours will be increased?

• 2 weeks later...

But I like them wires...

I wonder if the LFSe that we have right now will be modified for longer range... or if we will get new ones from the factory to test.

I also hope we will see more of them in service come December... Weekend runs seem like a good way to test all-day service...

9 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

But I like them wires...

I wonder if the LFSe that we have right now will be modified for longer range... or if we will get new ones from the factory to test.

I also hope we will see more of them in service come December... Weekend runs seem like a good way to test all-day service...

Let's have a fleet of half electric/trolley's. But as a smart bus to figure out when to put the trolley parts away (like detours or out of service to destinations or garage to name some). Yes i believe our trolleys can run on very very minimal battery mode but not "electric bus" style. Put them both together. Name it "battery trolley network". 

Or. Let's have a fleet of non functioning battery buses. What if the battery's die and can't be charged (can't turn bus on if it's full electric that way). We loose money on implementing a non functional battery network. Yes this is just a test/trial. But we have 4 of these battery buses with 6 more coming (8 in total next year). Buses do die. Same as batteries. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2019 at 12:15 AM, Busmanic92 said:

Let's have a fleet of half electric/trolley's. But as a smart bus to figure out when to put the trolley parts away (like detours or out of service to destinations or garage to name some). Yes i believe our trolleys can run on very very minimal battery mode but not "electric bus" style. Put them both together. Name it "battery trolley network". 

Or. Let's have a fleet of non functioning battery buses. What if the battery's die and can't be charged (can't turn bus on if it's full electric that way). We loose money on implementing a non functional battery network. Yes this is just a test/trial. But we have 4 of these battery buses with 6 more coming (8 in total next year). Buses do die. Same as batteries. 

Could you please explain the value of having a non-functioning fleet?

On 10/28/2019 at 12:15 AM, Busmanic92 said:

Then it gets fixed, just like any other bus 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i wonder if anybody can help with a technical question please. I seem to recollect that in addition to the fast chargers at Marpole Loop and 22nd Street Station, there are also some depot chargers installed at HTC itself. I've just reviewed this thread but can't find a reference, so I'm not sure whether this a fact or my imagination.

If there are depot chargers at HTC, how many are there and will the number increase to meet the increase in the size of the fleet to ten?

It seems as if the Electric Bus project is not going over so well since being launched over 3 months ago? 19301 was last in service on the 11th of Dec, 19302 was last in service on November 28th & 19304 was last in service on November 18th. Furthermore they are only assigned to AM & PM trippers M-F with the exception of 19303 which has been assigned on some weekend work of over 11 hours of service. 

1 hour ago, dover5949 said:

It seems as if the Electric Bus project is not going over so well since being launched over 3 months ago? 19301 was last in service on the 11th of Dec, 19302 was last in service on November 28th & 19304 was last in service on November 18th. Furthermore they are only assigned to AM & PM trippers M-F with the exception of 19303 which has been assigned on some weekend work of over 11 hours of service. 

Testing is exactly that, testing. And there is a very good reason why there is a testing phase.  It's full of ups, downs, hiccups and everything in between, it takes time to iron out everything.  To draw any conclusion during a testing phase is silly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

There is one charger at the depot. 

There are some issues, but this is still relatively new technology.  Our system is also unique in that were using two different manufacturers which have some differences and two different enroute charges which are different as well.  Several variables at play here as to why it's a bit of a struggle.  There's a reason why the trial is 2 years instead of just 6-12 months.

I'm sure once it hits the 1 year mark, all 4 will be running smoothly everyday.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...