2018/2019 Electric Bus Project

Express691

15 hours ago, translink said:

They’ve installed the overhead charger over the weekend at Marpole loop. 

Edit: Added a couple of photos. 

652B1653-C403-4498-8C46-B52A4D37CF9A.thumb.jpeg.94bcf40ccff8ec412633b7696e4fa292.jpeg

DDC8690C-54B2-4F89-93F7-903E6B73A0BF.thumb.jpeg.8a07adac3cd1b5ffa05e374ee55618c5.jpeg

Interesting how it's a different model used at 22nd. I wonder when they will do the testing like they did at 22nd with both models a few weeks back

Given the different rhythm of battery bus operation (regular charging breaks etc.) I wonder how the scheduling department is planning for the introduction of the BEBs on the route 100. Do they have two different sets of paddles for the different types of bus? Or do they just have one set of working timetable and put the BEBs out on any run and see how they cope? Either way there could be a risk that over the day the service becomes disjointed, for example if battery buses fall behind with their charging requirements.

Of course, that is one of the reasons for doing a 2.5 year trial. 

6 hours ago, martin607 said:

Given the different rhythm of battery bus operation (regular charging breaks etc.) I wonder how the scheduling department is planning for the introduction of the BEBs on the route 100. Do they have two different sets of paddles for the different types of bus? Or do they just have one set of working timetable and put the BEBs out on any run and see how they cope? Either way there could be a risk that over the day the service becomes disjointed, for example if battery buses fall behind with their charging requirements.

Of course, that is one of the reasons for doing a 2.5 year trial. 

Well either way, they need to be charged at the stations. So if they're late because of traffic and such you can't turn and burn. I would think they should be able to put them on any regular block because there should be at least 4-7 minute recovery time at both ends at allow the operator to use the washroom, grab a bit and such.

Sundays will be interesting because almost everything is tight and turn and burn. 

• Thanks 1

From what I've heard, they will have 15 minute layovers at each end, 10 minutes for charging and 4 minutes for the computer on the bus to do it's thing (don't know the details at what it'll be doing) and 1 minute buffer I guess.  I would assume they will have four blocks specifically for the BEB's and of course signable for any op wishing to do the work.  Not sure if they will be all day or just trippers to begin with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brando737 said:

From what I've heard, they will have 15 minute layovers at each end, 10 minutes for charging and 4 minutes for the computer on the bus to do it's thing (don't know the details at what it'll be doing) and 1 minute buffer I guess.  I would assume they will have four blocks specifically for the BEB's and of course signable for any op wishing to do the work.  Not sure if they will be all day or just trippers to begin with.

Regardless, I think they're going to add an extra run without changing the frequency, so as to increase layover time.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

Is vancouver getting more XE40? Cause I’ve seen some on flatbed trailer in Winnipeg at new Flyer with the blue on top

There's an order of 6 additional battery-electric buses, although no information on the manufacturer was ever mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering why there was such a difference between the chargers at both ends of route 100. They in fact come from different manufacturers entirely: Marpole Loop used Siemens equipment while 22nd Street Station uses equipment from ABB.

So this Electric Bus trial is going to be one giant and super-interesting interoperability and integration test, after all...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, translink fan said:

Doesn't look like it. Saw 19302 on July 4th while I was at Prevost dropping a bus off. It was inside on the hoist.

20190704_123143.jpg

I hope this isn't a repeat of the inspection issues the 2018 Nova hybrids had back in August.

12 minutes ago, 8010 said:

I hope this isn't a repeat of the inspection issues the 2018 Nova hybrids had back in August.

Chatted with the branch manager and mentioned a couple weeks back they had some AC work done on them. But other than that, they should be ready for service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2019 at 11:36 AM, Millennium2002 said:

I'm frankly starting to get impatient (sorry) at how long it is taking for this trial to get started. Does anyone know the inside scoop on the latest happenings?

Dropped another bus to Prevost today and saw an Electric Nova one bay over from my last picture posted previously. Will ask if I pick up a bus from Prevost tomorrow.