TTC Delays and Disruptions

12 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

You bitch about them getting prepared for a storm, you bitch is there a bus is stuck and you don't get any service. You can't have it both ways. And a lot of drivers already wouldn't service stops that are on hills when its snowing and slippery. Now they're just putting it in writing to let everyone know. 

LMAO, who's doing any bitching?? Are you sure you're reading the right post? I'm just asking about the logistics of such a large job. They are covering a considerable chunk of the city. As a bus driver I would expect you to be the first to realize that no one gets anywhere quickly in this city. And because I'm an adult, I also never did any bitching either about them getting prepared for the storm, or about buses getting stuck. But cheers for the assumption. ✌️

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, T3G said:

LMAO, who's doing any bitching?? Are you sure you're reading the right post? I'm just asking about the logistics of such a large job. They are covering a considerable chunk of the city. As a bus driver I would expect you to be the first to realize that no one gets anywhere quickly in this city. And because I'm an adult, I also never did any bitching either about them being unprepared for the storm, or about buses getting stuck. But cheers for the assumption. ✌️

Cheers to you too. As a bus driver I hear too much complaining. With information and forecast they had it made sense to make service changes.  No point in changing it halfway through the day when we didn't get the bulk of the storm hitting the city. Btw areas close to the lake still got a fair amount of snow. I know because I was driving in it. 

6 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

Cheers to you too. As a bus driver I hear too much complaining. With information and forecast they had it made sense to make service changes.  No point in changing it halfway through the day when we didn't get the bulk of the storm hitting the city. Btw areas close to the lake still got a fair amount of snow. I know because I was driving in it. 

I really suggest you re-read my posts again because at no point was I slagging the TTC off for implementing service changes as you seem to think I was. As someone who works with the public daily and also has access to online comments about the TTC I share your sentiment that there is entirely too much complaining in all public-facing services from people who have no clue what they're talking about.

All I ever intended to communicate through my posts is confusion and skepticism as to how exactly they planned to cover so much ground (a fair few of the routes listed are very long) and put those notices up at every out of service stop. Especially right now that the work force is still paralyzed by covid related staffing shortages. If they managed to complete the full extent of the job, all the more power to them.

Fair enough. It did seem like a lot of work to get signage up at all the stops. And I know for a fact even with signs posted some people would be standing at those not in service stops waiting for a bus. I've seen one stop that had two signs on the pole and 4 on the shelter, and concrete all around ripped apart and and people were still standing there waiting. 

• Like 1

So for those of you wondering, this is what one of the temporarily closed stops looks like:

51865997070_22ec3ca3e2.jpg

This one was the eastbound stop on Finch Ave E at Linus Rd - as indicated by others, in the middle of a long and steep uphill climb. This specific spot is where buses and other vehicles have spun out and gotten stuck during snowstorms in previous years.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, MK78 said:

Did he provide any information on what may have caused it?

The base of the pantograph was pulled of the roof of the car, and, as the pantograph is live as long as it's in contact with the overhead contact system, it grounded out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Something new I'm hearing on the TTC radio this evening in the early stages of the snow storm, they've assembled a "Storm Desk" for managing various things with regard to the snow accumulations, accidents etc... Currently using Events Channel 5, appears to have a number of surface supervisors from different regions on it (122's).

It had been reported (CP24: Diesel truck rollover on highway 427 near Pearson causing significant spill and road closure) that the 427 northbound had been closed (based on the camera feed) over the 401 due to a truck rollover.  Haven't seen any notices on the TTC's advisory page for the 900 AIRPORT EXPRESS (or even on GO Transit's routes into Brampton and beyond on the Kitchener corridor or the Milton express).  Are they all detouring off at Eglinton (and in the case of GO rejoining at Renforth)? 

31 minutes ago, Gil said:

It had been reported (CP24: Diesel truck rollover on highway 427 near Pearson causing significant spill and road closure) that the 427 northbound had been closed (based on the camera feed) over the 401 due to a truck rollover.  Haven't seen any notices on the TTC's advisory page for the 900 AIRPORT EXPRESS (or even on GO Transit's routes into Brampton and beyond on the Kitchener corridor or the Milton express).  Are they all detouring off at Eglinton (and in the case of GO rejoining at Renforth)? 

Apparently not (yet):

14 minutes ago, TTC7447 said:

Apparently not (yet):

Google is saying everything is running on schedule, even though their maps indicate the closure and subsequent backup on the 427.  If the drivers are able to make up the time using Eglinton, Renorth and Silver Dart then I don't think they'll notice especially since there aren't any stops between Dundas and Pearson.  Anyone want to confirm with a bus tracker?

9 hours ago, Gil said:

Google is saying everything is running on schedule, even though their maps indicate the closure and subsequent backup on the 427.  If the drivers are able to make up the time using Eglinton, Renorth and Silver Dart then I don't think they'll notice especially since there aren't any stops between Dundas and Pearson.  Anyone want to confirm with a bus tracker?

Why would they use that detour instead of Hwy 27 and Dixon?

Since there is no stops missed, I don't think they need to announce it unless it's significantly slower.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...