TTC Delays and Disruptions

I dont know exactly where to comment this so lemme know if this isn't the place. Earlier today i saw 5 buses all heading north on Jane bunched up together. It was a 35A, two 35B's, a 935 Express and another 35A. None of those buses at the time they passed Trethewey were short turning. I can't get over that. I understand if it was one A, one B and the express but 2 A's, 2 B's and the express all together is insane! Im willing to bet the gap southbound was enormous!

2 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

I dont know exactly where to comment this so lemme know if this isn't the place. Earlier today i saw 5 buses all heading north on Jane bunched up together. It was a 35A, two 35B's, a 935 Express and another 35A. None of those buses at the time they passed Trethewey were short turning. I can't get over that. I understand if it was one A, one B and the express but 2 A's, 2 B's and the express all together is insane! Im willing to bet the gap southbound was enormous!

Probably this isn't the right place since what you witness is a regular daily event. 

If they short turned a couple, then all the riders waiting for the northbound buses at Lawrence, Wilson and Sheppard won't all fit on those remaining buses. The problem with long busy routes is the great influx of riders. Sometimes they all appear and sometimes they don't appear leaving buses either running behind or ahead of service. Then throw in the traffic at the 400 interchange area. Short turns also screw up operator's timing to arrive at their relief points which is a problem. 

The only solution would be gap buses during busy times and active line management to insert buses to relief any gaps or heavy loading. They could even install cameras and sensors to monitor busy stops but here in Canada, they fear more of privacy issues than having jammed pack buses.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Probably this isn't the right place since what you witness is a regular daily event. 

If they short turned a couple, then all the riders waiting for the northbound buses at Lawrence, Wilson and Sheppard won't all fit on those remaining buses. The problem with long busy routes is the great influx of riders. Sometimes they all appear and sometimes they don't appear leaving buses either running behind or ahead of service. Then throw in the traffic at the 400 interchange area. Short turns also screw up operator's timing to arrive at their relief points which is a problem. 

The only solution would be gap buses during busy times and active line management to insert buses to relief any gaps or heavy loading. They could even install cameras and sensors to monitor busy stops but here in Canada, they fear more of privacy issues than having jammed pack buses.

Ta for informing me and yeah, i see your point but 5 different buses all heading in my direction all together still seems absurd to me. From my 12th storey apartment, it did look like a couple of the buses were near as makes no difference empty so i guess that one or two were short turned somewhere, surely. It's a mess to be sure. They have found a way to add more frequency and buses to a high use route and somehow make it worse than it used to be. The problem on Jane isn't the frequency. It's just that the buses being used on the route aren't up to the task. Jane is like Keele and Dufferin. It needs articulated buses, even if that addition meant slightly lower frequency. I hope the ttc cooks something up soon because Jane gets busier every year with all the housing and shopping destinations along it and soon Line 5 will be within earshot of it. For future reference, i'll find a more appropriate place to post absurd/unexpected ttc sightings. 

31 minutes ago, lifty4ever said:

Ta for informing me and yeah, i see your point but 5 different buses all heading in my direction all together still seems absurd to me. From my 12th storey apartment, it did look like a couple of the buses were near as makes no difference empty so i guess that one or two were short turned somewhere, surely. It's a mess to be sure. They have found a way to add more frequency and buses to a high use route and somehow make it worse than it used to be. The problem on Jane isn't the frequency. It's just that the buses being used on the route aren't up to the task. Jane is like Keele and Dufferin. It needs articulated buses, even if that addition meant slightly lower frequency. I hope the ttc cooks something up soon because Jane gets busier every year with all the housing and shopping destinations along it and soon Line 5 will be within earshot of it. For future reference, i'll find a more appropriate place to post absurd/unexpected ttc sightings. 

Articulated buses aren't the solution. It won't solve the bunching issue. In fact they are worst in traffic jams as operators are less likely to proceed through an intersection when they don't know if they will clear it before the light turns red. That was a major issue at Dufferin Station northbound during construction season. There was a line of artics but only one could go through every light cycle. 

16 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Articulated buses aren't the solution. It won't solve the bunching issue. In fact they are worst in traffic jams as operators are less likely to proceed through an intersection when they don't know if they will clear it before the light turns red. That was a major issue at Dufferin Station northbound during construction season. There was a line of artics but only one could go through every light cycle. 

Im most certain they are. The TTC have tried literally everything at this point and none of it has worked. In fact, ridership on Jane has eclipsed the ridership of Dufferin now. It's a clear cut answer and any problems caused by highway interchanges and traffic aren't gonna be a long term issue. Jane is planned to get a Rapid TO lane from Steeles to Eglinton which just so happens to be where Jane is the busiest. Surely this would mitigate traffic problems for the buses and it would most certainly improve the express service's speed.

Even if not a perfect solution at first, it's surely better than what we have now and as i said, they've tried pretty much every possible solution they can think of and none of them are able to handle the massive crowds and keep somewhat reliable service. Perhaps they should've funded the Jane LRT all those years ago but they didn't so that would be the logical improvement even if there are still glaring problems to get through. One thing is for certain. Trying to leave Jane as is/or was pre covid is unsustainable. The ridership steadily increases each year due to all the affordable housing, parks and shopping destinations along the route. 

Like i said, i respectfully disagree with your thoughts that Articulated buses wouldn't help at all and that's fine. Agreement and disagreement make for good conversation. I think anyone on Jane could agree on one thing. The "Insane Jane" is one of the worst commuting experiences in all of Toronto. As a side note, one thing i did suggest to the TTC and i think i wasn't alone on this was, during their survey on our thoughts on the proposals for bus routes that would be affected by line 5's opening, i had the idea of taking their proposed 158 Trethewey and adding a second branch to that route that would run peak only from Keelesdale Station to Jane and Sheppard. 

This would increase service along a very busy stretch of Jane. IMO, Articulated buses would still be needed for 35/935 but if there was a 158B Trethewey running alongside them during rush hours, this would mean the TTC would be able to safely, slightly reduce the frequency on the Jane routes to better suit the higher capacity vehicles. Just something that was thrown around by myself and seemingly a few other people according to the survey. Whether the TTC follows up on that idea is up to them though. I hope salvation comes soon though. This has been a strong topic of debate for me since the ttc first ordered Artics back in 2012. But this overcrowding issue has existed since i first moved to Jane and Trethewey in 2005. 

Hope you stay safe and happy holidays!

6 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

Im most certain they are. The TTC have tried literally everything at this point and none of it has worked. In fact, ridership on Jane has eclipsed the ridership of Dufferin now. It's a clear cut answer and any problems caused by highway interchanges and traffic aren't gonna be a long term issue. Jane is planned to get a Rapid TO lane from Steeles to Eglinton which just so happens to be where Jane is the busiest. Surely this would mitigate traffic problems for the buses and it would most certainly improve the express service's speed.

When The Crosstown opwns and Jane gets split, that would be a a great help. At least for those south of Eglinton. I hope have high hopes for RapidTO along Jane. I would image a bunch of pissed off drivers driving on those lanes unless they have good enforcement. Since everyone would have to squeeze into one traffic lane, we'll likely see cars blocking the bus lane and be stuck as traffic would be at a standstill.

6 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

Like i said, i respectfully disagree with your thoughts that Articulated buses wouldn't help at all and that's fine. Agreement and disagreement make for good conversation. I think anyone on Jane could agree on one thing. The "Insane Jane" is one of the worst commuting experiences in all of Toronto. As a side note, one thing i did suggest to the TTC and i think i wasn't alone on this was, during their survey on our thoughts on the proposals for bus routes that would be affected by line 5's opening, i had the idea of taking their proposed 158 Trethewey and adding a second branch to that route that would run peak only from Keelesdale Station to Jane and Sheppard. 

Artics itself would be a great help on Jane IF AND ONLY IF they can get the buses moving. With poor line management, heavy congestion and non 1:1 standard to artic replacement ratio, they'll just be stuck with much worse bunch and wider gaps.

Jane isn't the only corridor that suffers from this problem. Steeles West, Sheppard West, Wilson, Lawrence West, Weston, Lawrence East, Kennedy and Don Mills all suffer from the same problems. I'm sure they can all use artics. Surely Dufferin and Bathurst have artics and yet they have huge gaps and bunching issues.

2 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

When The Crosstown opwns and Jane gets split, that would be a a great help. At least for those south of Eglinton. I hope have high hopes for RapidTO along Jane. I would image a bunch of pissed off drivers driving on those lanes unless they have good enforcement. Since everyone would have to squeeze into one traffic lane, we'll likely see cars blocking the bus lane and be stuck as traffic would be at a standstill.

Artics itself would be a great help on Jane IF AND ONLY IF they can get the buses moving. With poor line management, heavy congestion and non 1:1 standard to artic replacement ratio, they'll just be stuck with much worse bunch and wider gaps.

Jane isn't the only corridor that suffers from this problem. Steeles West, Sheppard West, Wilson, Lawrence West, Weston, Lawrence East, Kennedy and Don Mills all suffer from the same problems. I'm sure they can all use artics. Surely Dufferin and Bathurst have artics and yet they have huge gaps and bunching issues.

Presently 89 uses some artics in addition to standard buses. Iirc so does Steeles west. The splitting on Jane may help some but i doubt it'll have any effect on the ridership and it may have only a negligible effect on the reliability. If anything, work should be done to perhaps try to widen Jane Street in some places so that RapidTO lanes don't affect car traffic too much. Im sure there are a few places this can be done. Perhaps improving the highway 400 interchange may also help with traffic between Wilson and Lawrence though i admit i have no clue how you'd do that. Maybe you could just close this interchange altogether and force this interchange to occur further south at Lawrence and beyond. 

13 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

Presently 89 uses some artics in addition to standard buses. Iirc so does Steeles west. The splitting on Jane may help some but i doubt it'll have any effect on the ridership and it may have only a negligible effect on the reliability. If anything, work should be done to perhaps try to widen Jane Street in some places so that RapidTO lanes don't affect car traffic too much. Im sure there are a few places this can be done. Perhaps improving the highway 400 interchange may also help with traffic between Wilson and Lawrence though i admit i have no clue how you'd do that. Maybe you could just close this interchange altogether and force this interchange to occur further south at Lawrence and beyond. 

89 is currently scheduled to use a mix of 40' and 60' buses since the November service cuts and the elimination of the 989. The extra artics came from the 7 (which is also scheduled to use the same 40'/60' mix). The artics on Steeles West were not scheduled, they were a "decision at the divisional level" to add extra artics, when available, to select runs that met factory dismissal times (and therefore experienced high peak loads).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Articulated said:

89 is currently scheduled to use a mix of 40' and 60' buses since the November service cuts and the elimination of the 989. The extra artics came from the 7 (which is also scheduled to use the same 40'/60' mix). The artics on Steeles West were not scheduled, they were a "decision at the divisional level" to add extra artics, when available, to select runs that met factory dismissal times (and therefore experienced high peak loads).

989 is not suspended. It's still operating this board period.

1 hour ago, wil9402 said:

989 is not suspended. It's still operating this board period.

Sorry... you are correct. I made the assumption that 989 was discontinued with the addition of articulated buses, while in reality it was because of reduced local frequency. I must have been thinking of the 85, which is getting artics added back on weekends due to the elimination of the 985.

That being said, I don't quite understand why TTC is keeping the express routes on many corridors but severely cutting service on the local branches.

8 hours ago, Articulated said:

Sorry... you are correct. I made the assumption that 989 was discontinued with the addition of articulated buses, while in reality it was because of reduced local frequency. I must have been thinking of the 85, which is getting artics added back on weekends due to the elimination of the 985.

That being said, I don't quite understand why TTC is keeping the express routes on many corridors but severely cutting service on the local branches.

All pre pandemic express routes remains operational during peak period this time. All the new express services got a cut except the 960 which is more of an reallocation.

unfortunately weekend express service has yet again taken another hit. It hasn’t even fully restored yet.

• Like 1

• No service between St Clair and College due to police activity.

• No service between St George and Victoria Park due to police activity.

Plan F at Bloor Station, apparently a bomb threat just outside the station..

But what's with the crazy turnback on the BD? Something wrong with the crossovers at Woodbine and Broadview? This is not the first time I've heard of it the past week.

Edit: All clear, service has resumed.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Wow. Just wow.

Line 1 Yonge-University: No service between St Clair West and Sheppard West due to mechanical issues caused by weather.
Line 2 Bloor-Danforth: No service between Kipling and Islington while we fix a mechanical problem.
Line 1 Yonge-University: No service between Bloor-Yonge and Lawrence due to mechanical issues caused by weather.
Line 3 Scarborough: No service between Kennedy and McCowan while we fix a mechanical problem. Shuttle buses are on the way.
Line 2 Bloor-Danforth: No service between Woodbine and Kennedy while we fix a mechanical problem. Shuttle buses are on the way.
All bus and streetcar routes affected by snow covered roadways. Customers will experience longer than normal wait and travel times.

There are also delays at Kennedy due to the roadway being blocked. Four Birchmount routes are cancelled for today due to the storm: 9 BELLAMY, 20 CLIFFSIDE, 23 DAWES and 62 MORTIMER.

Yeah I've been listening the TTC radio since the morning. absolute fustercluck.

Even the glycol trains couldnt make it in the Vic Park - Warden open cut in the morning and has been stuck there since.

• Sad 3

Yeah the city was completely unprepared for this, no matter what kind of cute excuse they try to give they clearly werent ready to handle this and it shows. I feel sorry for anyone who had to go outside and deal with this cluster**** today.

23 minutes ago, lip said:

Yeah the city was completely unprepared for this, no matter what kind of cute excuse they try to give they clearly werent ready to handle this and it shows. I feel sorry for anyone who had to go outside and deal with this cluster**** today.

I think you're being a little unfair here. there was over 30-40cm dumped in a matter of ~5 hours, since most of the heaviest snow fell from 5am-10am, as I review my camera footage. At some point you have to give a nod to mother nature, especially that we historically don't get anywhere close to this level of snowfall in this city.

Adding to the factor I'm sure are people being off sick with COVID-19, as well as those who were let go due to non vax compliance.

That said, i was blown away that my street got plowed mid afternoon, a small side street in Scarborough, where we easily had 50-60cm in non-drifts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MK78 said:

I think you're being a little unfair here. there was over 30-40cm dumped in a matter of ~5 hours, since most of the heaviest snow fell from 5am-10am, as I review my camera footage. At some point you have to give a nod to mother nature, especially that we historically don't get anywhere close to this level of snowfall in this city.

Adding to the factor I'm sure are people being off sick with COVID-19, as well as those who were let go due to non vax compliance.

That said, i was blown away that my street got plowed mid afternoon, a small side street in Scarborough, where we easily had 50-60cm in non-drifts.

Thing is: the city themselves even said that absenteeism due to COVID-19 didnt affect their snow removal operations.

There's no doubt there was a flurry of snow that was dumped on us in the morning hours (the most mainly in the early morning hours as you mentioned). But if it reaches a point where 400+ TTC buses are disabled in the snow by 4pm, and the Gardiner/DVP (the most critical arteries in the city are closed down) then i'm sorry but there's clearly an issue with where the priorities are with snow removal operations.

1 hour ago, lip said:

Thing is: the city themselves even said that absenteeism due to COVID-19 didnt affect their snow removal operations.

There's no doubt there was a flurry of snow that was dumped on us in the morning hours (the most mainly in the early morning hours as you mentioned). But if it reaches a point where 400+ TTC buses are disabled in the snow by 4pm, and the Gardiner/DVP (the most critical arteries in the city are closed down) then i'm sorry but there's clearly an issue with where the priorities are with snow removal operations.

You have to remember we have seen anything like this in a decade and thus they weren't prepared. The prediction was only 10-15cm on the outer edge but a shift of the storm can easily bring it close to 40cm. Certainly there is a number of absents among employees. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lip said:

Please learn what absenteeism actually means, and then stop using it in relation to COVID. 

2 hours ago, T3G said:

Please learn what absenteeism actually means, and then stop using it in relation to COVID. 

Please go read/listen to the City of Toronto's own press releases about the subject matter at hand, before you start commenting with fluff.

Whatever the term you want to use is, the bottom line is this: staff levels were at levels that were perfectly able to handle the storm. Over 1,500 pieces of equipment were out on scene yesterday (i'm assuming the mix is ~1100 road vehicles to ~400 sidewalk vehicles or something around that). So if the city themselves are saying that, then clearly there was an issue with deployment of those resources at hand.

36 minutes ago, lip said:

Please go read/listen to the City of Toronto's own press releases about the subject matter at hand, before you start commenting with fluff.

I know what their own press releases said about the subject matter at hand. Ditto Metrolinx's. Doesn't make it any less stupid of a choice of words on their part, nor does it make it a legitimate term to use in relation to the situation at hand, unless you wish to communicate to us that you're actually in favour of people with COVID coming to work anyway.

Either these groups are malicious enough to conflate people out sick with COVID as being shirkers, or they're too stupid to learn what the words that they're using mean before using them. Either scenario seems believable to me.

• Like 1