502 Downtowner

TTC Delays and Disruptions

I was in Toronto on the Victoria Day weekend, as I usually am. I was on a subway train that was climbing the grade into Warden when power went out. My train did not have enough momentum to make the Warden platform, and stalled on the grade for about 20 minutes. There were several announcements about a trespasser on the tracks between Victoria Park and Kennedy, forcing a power cut in that entire zone. I was in the first car of the train.  I saw someone on the Warden platform, where a westbound train was stopped, using a big searchlight. There was no panic among the other passengers in that car, nor any attempts to force a door. I could not speak for the other cars, nor could the operator of the train, to whom I spoke when we reached Kennedy and he came out of his cab. Though I did not see any TTC employees during the delay, and had no word other than the announcements, I felt those involved handled a dangerous situation as best they could. 

There's currently no service on Line 2 BD between St. George & Ossington due to an electrical fire near Spadina station. A 600v feeder line has caught fire at track level.

Edit: the turnback has been extended west to Keele, due to the need to isolate circuit breakers at Ossington to cut power to the faulty cables so the electricians can work on them.

Edit: The delay has now cleared.

There's currently no service between St Clair West and St George on Line 1, due to an injury at track level at Spadina station. No details yet.

Update: Female victim, Code 5 (death), reports to have been cut in half by the train. No camera coverage of the incident whether it was intentional act or not. Yikes.

• Sad 4

I’ll be glad when channel one gets encrypted, so I don’t have to read about a mentally ill person’s final moments of pain in gory detail.

2 hours ago, MK78 said:

Update: Female victim, Code 5 (death), reports to have been cut in half by the train. No camera coverage of the incident whether it was intentional act or not. Yikes.

To who’s benefit -exactly, is this information for?

• Thanks 5

raptors celebration delays/disruptions:

-routes 6, 75, 97, and 505 are  completely suspended.

-504 suspended between bathurst and church.

-501 suspended between victoria and mccaul.

-routes 72 and 121 have major detours.

-routes 34, 51, 54, 56 are detouring both ways via redpath, soudan, and berwick, and are entering/leaving eglinton station onto berwick.

-Line 1 trains are not stopping at dundas station

12 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

I’ll be glad when channel one gets encrypted, so I don’t have to read about a mentally ill person’s final moments of pain in gory detail.

Ok, I may have overdone it with the details, but I think its important if even one person reads such a thread and it changes their mind, especially that many times the suicide attempt is not successful, at least not initially at the point of the incident, and the victims are rescued alive and taken to hospitals.

I've heard over a hundred of these incidents over the years on the scanner, and I would estimate that ~30% are not successful.

However if people don't want these updates posted (with out the gory details), I will stop.

Having walked a mile in her shoes,  I say you’re not helping and to please stop.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

My brother committed suicide a few years ago. Not by the way of TTC, but he did nonetheless. I wasn't doing this for my own amusement.

I will not post further Priority 1 events.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

You'd be amazed at the excitement P1s get. That's probably the number one question I get

Strange sequence of events right now; a fire investigation suspended the BD between Islington and Ossington 20 mins ago, clear within 3 minutes according to delay notice timestamps. Then 3 minutes later a power failure occurs Islington to Ossington, reported to be unknown cause. Delay is ongoing.

EDIT: Clear again as of 7:09 PM...

No service on the Scarborough RT due to a fire under a train at Kennedy. Unit 3006 is involved, or under it. They are trying to move it to the tail track but upon restoring power the smoke re-appeared.

They were able to limp the train to the McCowan car house. Cause of the smoke was apparently a hydraulic leak from car 3006.

Subway was shut down Broadview - Woodbine due to a police investigation at Donlands. Just cleared up now

• Like 2

Islington Station is absolutely chaotic right now.. as all 37, 50, 110 buses are utilizing ONE bus platform... 

MiWay buses aren’t even entering into the station as well

• Like 2

Around 9:30 this morning, something caused service on Lake Shore to be turned back at Kipling loop. West of there were a number of streetcars, all with their poles pulled down. I assume there was some issue related to overhead power, maybe one or both of the substations west of Kipling?

• Like 1

Wow, interesting. The delay on Line 1 between St. Clair & Lawrence is because of drilling above that punctured the tunnel, and some debris fell down and was run over by a train.

Edit: dang, apparently the drill bit actually contacted a train. Yikes. I can't quite put it from the conversation on the scanner where this happened. Got home a while after this happened.

Edit: According to the TTC themselves, it happened between Eglinton & Lawrence stations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

03E66D3D-DED3-4B10-B98B-7E0F7B48DA16.thumb.jpeg.a3cebde73df532397c0e29188fb6f9e1.jpeg

Some truck driver completely knocked off the barrier at Keele and St Clair. So much for getting home anytime soon.

Edit: shuttles are running. Several artics among them like 9013 and 9015

• Like 1

I just heard on the scanner that a tractor trailer took down pole & overhead wire at Coxwell & Eastwood (Gerrard).

There will likely be a significant disruption to the 506 Carlton route.

No service on Line 2 between Woodbine & Broadview due to a switch problem leaving westbound Greenwood Yard. They are going to clamp it down.

Edit: Service is resuming after the switch was clamped for mainline operation.

Looks like there's a massive fustercluck in the west end on Line 2, with a train partially derailed at Keele. Too bad there's no way to monitor the TTC on the scanner anymore, as TTC switched over to TETRA for the surface supervisors a few days ago.

• Like 1