TTC Delays and Disruptions

4 minutes ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

If it was any other nation or jurisdiction, where they don't play with drug use and actually impose harsh sentences for vagrancy and drug use, we would not be dealing with over half of the savagery that plagues the TTC. Just goes to show that when drug use is enabled through extremely destructive and downright dangerous decisions like Tory opening up those "safe injection sites", this is the end result. 

That's 100% correct. They are putting the law abiding, tax paying public at risk... Safe injection sites? Yeah they're called the subways, lol...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

If it was any other nation or jurisdiction, where they don't play with drug use and actually impose harsh sentences for vagrancy and drug use, we would not be dealing with over half of the savagery that plagues the TTC. Just goes to show that when drug use is enabled through extremely destructive and downright dangerous decisions like Tory opening up those "safe injection sites", this is the end result. 

How exactly does this "go to show"?

You need to present evidence that safe injections caused this. Just because you believe this to be true, doesn't mean that I have to believe you.

ETA: and I don't much care what the Toronto Sun believes, either.

• Like 1

It is beyond horrible when such disruption like this is happening during the rush hours.

I was trying to get home (Etobicoke) from my work, and I heard there’s no service on Line 2 from Keele to Jane which directly impact my communte back home.
I saw twitter that Keele Station is a mess right now. 

I ended up taking the GO train to Kipling

Weren’t there a policy which you can use GO train with the TTC fare when there is a major disruption on the subway line?

I don’t know what is a hold-up for the TTC not integrating fare with the GO transit

11 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

You need to present evidence that safe injections caused this. Just because you believe this to be true, doesn't mean that I have to believe you.

It is something that I have noticed ever since Tory was inaugurated as mayor and those drug injection sites opened. In addition to the fact that I have lived in Toronto for close to 24 years, and recall how prior to Tory being mayor, I have never seen the TTC be as dangerous to be on from these vagrant and junkie savages as it is right now.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

No, there's no evidence that this was caused by a vagrant, junkie or a mental patient, but their numbers in the system since COVID began has increased by a lot, and they're really not doing much about it.

And they do terrorize the staff & passengers on the system on a daily basis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To add to the TTC's problems today, the SRT will has been down for about an hour and will not resume today, because there is a large section of power rail damaged between midland & SCT, as well the train that was disabled with pieces ripped off the power delivery parts.

29 minutes ago, MK78 said:

To add to the TTC's problems today, the SRT will has been down for about an hour and will not resume today, because there is a large section of power rail damaged between midland & SCT, as well the train that was disabled with pieces ripped off the power delivery parts.

Like I've said for the umpteenth time, that line can't be demolished sooner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

It is something that I have noticed ever since Tory was inaugurated as mayor and those drug injection sites opened. In addition to the fact that I have lived in Toronto for close to 24 years, and recall how prior to Tory being mayor, I have never seen the TTC be as dangerous to be on from these vagrant and junkie savages as it is right now.

You complain, but you sound like one of those people who are against tax dollars going towards funding mental health treatment, prescription medication, and drug rehabilitation. You get what you pay for.

11 minutes ago, 2044 said:

You complain, but you sound like one of those people who are against tax dollars going towards funding mental health treatment, prescription medication, and drug rehabilitation. You get what you pay for.

Actually, I am all for rehabilitation and treatment. However, I am not for actual enabling of addiction with "safe injection sites". If you want to help an addict, you actually put him or her in a rehab facility, and ensure the addiction is completely cured and the addict has recovered, no matter how difficult it is or how much of a fight an addict puts up in the process. But enabling them by a means of their next fix like "safe injection sites", that is just pouring fuel on the fire, especially when public safety is now at stake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

Actually, I am all for rehabilitation and treatment. However, I am not for actual enabling of addiction with "safe injection sites". If you want to help an addict, you actually put him or her in a rehab facility, and ensure the addiction is completely cured and the addict has recovered, no matter how difficult it is or how much of a fight an addict puts up in the process. But enabling them by a means of their next fix like "safe injection sites", that is just pouring fuel on the fire, especially when public safety is now at stake.

Exactly. They don't commit those people to treatment, its just catch & release. I am all for funding such facilities and services.

But the activists say its cruel to force treatment, but they'd rather them shoot up on the streets and subways, terrorizing the public in the process.

• Like 1

The city likes to whine that they dont have money to do X and Y, meanwhile they are out begging Queen's Park and Ottawa for cash on a daily basis. While it's true they have limited ways of generating additional funds, one thing they can do to actually help fund things such as additional special constables would be to re-institute fares for children. Doing something like that would easily help pays for additional resources that would help as a deterrence mechanism.

Of course it wouldnt solve the underlying issues causing these problems, but it's better than the absolute squat the city is doing about the safety problems now. However our fearless leader John Tory will just sit on his hands like he always does and do nothing.

On a side note, yes Dec 8th was an absolute s*** show across the TTC. Line 2 service was suspended from Keele to Jane, Line 3 was completely down, Line 1 was screwed up from St.Clair to Eglinton, the 504 was screwed up from Spadina to Exhibition Loop, the 501 was screwed up from Strachan to McCaul, and the list goes on. So basically, no one could get home in any kind of efficient manner.

11 hours ago, MK78 said:

Exactly. They don't commit those people to treatment, its just catch & release. I am all for funding such facilities and services.

But the activists say its cruel to force treatment, but they'd rather them shoot up on the streets and subways, terrorizing the public in the process.

You can’t rehabilitate them if they’re fucking DEAD.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

This is what people don’t understand.

And if you don’t care about the individual lives of people suffering drug addiction, you should at least care about the strain that would be on emergency services responding to mass overdoses and poisonings.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

Correlation is not causation, you know.

Perhaps there are one or more root causes. Safe injection sites may be another fallout of the root causes, just like an epidemic of overdose deaths and homeless and disturbed people on the streets--and in the TTC.

Perhaps Andy Byford's notion of getting rid of ticked booths is not helping in all this, either.

Let me tell you about the homeless guy who regularly stunk up the Sherbourne bus back when I was riding it in 1989....

13 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

Can you point to a jurisdiction anywhere in the world that actually does this? Do they do this with anyone caught DUI, or rowdy drunk at the local pub?

And as for anyone saying "Hey, they've opened safe injection sites, I haven't been into drugs, but I'm totally going to get hooked on heroin now! Yay!", I don't think so. As I said, correlation is not causation.

12 hours ago, MK78 said:

One of the goals of safe injection sites is precisely to get people to shoot up under supervision, not on some random street corner or alcove in a TTC station.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Except that in many cases they aren't the ones who end up dead, all too often it's unsuspecting people unlucky to cross paths with them.

Ideally they should absolutely be helped & rehabilitated in a safe environment where they can't harm anyone or be harmed themselves. But if & when they pose a direct & imminent threat to my physical safety (hypothetical scenario which luckily hasn't been put to test so far), their life would be the least of my concerns in the heat of the moment. I'm sure most people would feel the same (for any law-abiding gun owners out there, this would be a "shoot first ask questions later" situation).

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

I shouldn’t need to remind you that the Violent crime death statistics for Toronto don’t even touch that figure. 

Maybe not right now (hence why I said many cases not most cases, "many cases" being those we keep hearing about in the media), but it does seem to be on a steady upward trend, which is alarming to say the least.

30 minutes ago, 81-717 said:

Maybe not right now (hence why I said many cases not most cases, "many cases" being those we keep hearing about in the media), but it does seem to be on a steady upward trend, which is alarming to say the least.

Come to your own conclusions.

1A0DF80D-5E20-4719-82C7-F1C16430DB61.thumb.png.e68f59081a3352e2d471955477b065ae.png

You do you.

I don’t traffic in red herrings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 81-717 said:

but it does seem to be on a steady upward trend

Does it? Do you have any hard, emotionally disconnected data to suggest this is the case? Or is the media capitalizing on every story of a violent attack to stir up hysteria because it drives clicks?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T3G said:

Does it? Do you have any hard, emotionally disconnected data to suggest this is the case? Or is the media capitalizing on every story of a violent attack to stir up hysteria because it drives clicks?

“There’s a sucker born every minute”

-P.T. Barnum.