TTC Delays and Disruptions

It's still down for revenue service. They're still running test trains simulating full service, but there are still issues with power delivery along parts of the line most notably between Kennedy & Lawrence East, with operators reporting shuttering and jerking and heavy sparking along those parts from the power rail.

Who knows, maybe tomorrow? I think they should give it a go with revenue service tomorrow if they have any hope of having it run on Monday, where a ~5cm snowfall is expected.

If not, jeez I just don't know.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

SRT is supposed to be running revenue service soon. Lets see how it shakes out.

They seem to have a lot of issues with the VOBC's (onboard computers) today while running the test trains. I wonder if the several days sitting frozen solid might have affected the vintage 80's electronics.

I'm not sure how they store trains in the yard, if there is any heat in them at all.

• Like 1

Signal problems again this evening on the SRT, this time at Kennedy with the switch.

Update: they are mailing it in for the evening again, running trains to the yard, they cannot fix the signal issue.

The next board meeting should be interesting, I'm sure a lot will be said about the SRT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haha wow, they are scared to run it at all in any sort of snow forecast eh... Even though today at last until the evening its mostly just rain or wet snow that doesn't stick.

The forecast has been downgraded anyway, with far less snow than originally predicted.

• Like 1

They wasted an entire day of possible service. At 11pm there's barely 2-3cm of accumulation in Scarborough. If they are now worried about a light forecast like that, then they might as well just shutter the SRT right now.

They are running a storm train, so it hasn't been really affected at all.

8 minutes ago, MK78 said:

They wasted an entire day of possible service. At 11pm there's barely 2-3cm of accumulation in Scarborough. If they are now worried about a light forecast like that, then they might as well just shutter the SRT right now.

They are running a storm train, so it hasn't been really affected at all.

To be fair, the TTC has apparently has trouble running standard subway service when there is a trickle of rain or snow on the subway lines themselves so I dont blame their lack of faith with the SRT. This is just today alone:

Feb 2nd @ 8pm

image.thumb.png.16f6d735b47c240c825e1ee44ebf9d5b.png

Feb 2nd @ 3pm

image.thumb.png.0cf185784ae04dd6f41e5e78cafdbd3a.png

• Service alert: All 900 series express buses will service local stops except the 900 Airport Express and 927 Hwy 27 Express.

• 7 Bathurst, 13 Avenue, 29 Dufferin, 36 Finch West, 47 Lansdowne, 50 Burnhamthorpe, 52 Lawrence West, 66 Prince Edward, 71 Runnymede, 76 Royal York, 84 Sheppard West, 96 Wilson, 109 Ranee: Some bus stops along these routes are being removed from service due to weather conditions. Signs will be posted explaining where the closest stop is. Visit ttc.ca to stay up-to-date on all service changes.

• Routes 12 Kingston Road, 16 McCowan, 20 Cliffside, 23 Dawes, 25 Don Mills, 39 Finch East, 42 Cummer, 53 Steeles East, 54 Lawrence East, 67 Pharmacy, 69 Warden South, 92 Woodbine South, 95 York Mills, 100 Flemingdon Park, 102 Markham some bus stops along this route are being removed from service due to weather conditions. Signs will be posted explaining where the closest stop is. Visit ttc.ca to stay up-to-date on all service changes.

What the heck is this? This is the biggest overreaction to such a tiny amount of snow i've seen ever. Did the Snowmageddon break TTC's logic?

5 minutes ago, MK78 said:
  • Service alert: All 900 series express buses will service local stops except the 900 Airport Express and 927 Hwy 27 Express.

• 7 Bathurst, 13 Avenue, 29 Dufferin, 36 Finch West, 47 Lansdowne, 50 Burnhamthorpe, 52 Lawrence West, 66 Prince Edward, 71 Runnymede, 76 Royal York, 84 Sheppard West, 96 Wilson, 109 Ranee: Some bus stops along these routes are being removed from service due to weather conditions. Signs will be posted explaining where the closest stop is. Visit ttc.ca to stay up-to-date on all service changes.

• Routes 12 Kingston Road, 16 McCowan, 20 Cliffside, 23 Dawes, 25 Don Mills, 39 Finch East, 42 Cummer, 53 Steeles East, 54 Lawrence East, 67 Pharmacy, 69 Warden South, 92 Woodbine South, 95 York Mills, 100 Flemingdon Park, 102 Markham some bus stops along this route are being removed from service due to weather conditions. Signs will be posted explaining where the closest stop is. Visit ttc.ca to stay up-to-date on all service changes.

What the heck is this? This is the biggest overreaction to such a tiny amount of snow i've seen ever. Did the Snowmageddon break TTC's logic?

I took the 939 today and it still made express stops although I did see some other express buses with the exposure "EXPRESS CANCELLED LOCAL SERVICE ONLY"

On 2/2/2022 at 12:59 AM, TTC7447 said:

In anticipation of snow this week, the TTC will be operating Line 3 with Shuttle Buses only starting February 2, until the weather clears.

Picsart_22-02-03_11-05-57-396.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Turning Express buses to local stops only is a common storm procedure at TTC - to the degree that there's been a PR sign programmed in for it for many years. The only time in recent memory this wasn't followed, for unknown reasons, was during "Snowmageddon" two weeks ago. I'm sure this time around, the TTC didn't want to be caught flat-footed like last storm, so they went and implemented policies in advance. If they didn't, they would have been crucified in the media for "not learning from the last storm". This storm both arrived later and was milder than initially forecasted, which is why these actions seemed "unnecessary" at the time. I'm also fairly certain, however, that in the case of Line 3, they would have preferred to not run the risk of trains with passengers stalling and needing to be evacuated (again).

Storm protocols aren't just about snow - it's also about ice. Tuesday was above 0 for the first time in weeks (causing snow melt), which was then followed by a day of rain, then the temperature dipped below zero. Perfect conditions for creating significant ice accumulation. Also, conditions in different parts of the city are different, so if whatever area you're in seems to be fine, buses in other areas may be having a more difficult time.

• Like 1

Yeah i know about the express thing. I shouldn't have pasted that. But the overreaction with the SRT and removing stops from service for the tiny amount of snow that fell, is ridiculous. I havent seen a single snowflake this morning into the afternoon. roads are cleared and black.

• Like 1

I just want to know what exactly they mean by "Signs will be posted explaining where the closest stop is". As in, physical signs they're going to put up at the out of service stops? With how many stops the TTC has? Good luck to them. By the time they get around to covering all these routes the inclement weather will probably be long over.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Yeah i know about the express thing. I shouldn't have pasted that. But the overreaction with the SRT and removing stops from service for the tiny amount of snow that fell, is ridiculous. I havent seen a single snowflake this morning into the afternoon. roads are cleared and black.

It does seem absurd. Yesterday was supposed to be above freezing until after PM rush-hour - so no reason to plan anything other than an early closure.

And by last night, it was clear most of the storm was going to track south of Toronto, giving us just some light snow - at least until late afternoon.

21 hours ago, MK78 said:

The stops removed from what I saw were stops in locations where buses might have difficulty servicing them safely, like on hills for example.

21 hours ago, T3G said:

I just want to know what exactly they mean by "Signs will be posted explaining where the closest stop is". As in, physical signs they're going to put up at the out of service stops? With how many stops the TTC has? Good luck to them. By the time they get around to covering all these routes the inclement weather will probably be long over.

Only the affected stops had signs put on them notifying customers that the stop was out of service.

1 minute ago, wil9402 said:

Only the affected stops had signs put on them notifying customers that the stop was out of service.

That's what I figured was the case, but that's also what I found to be ludicrous, considering the number of routes affected and the wide geographic range they cover. Who did they pull to do this job, anyway?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, T3G said:

You bitch about them getting prepared for a storm, you bitch is there are buses stuck and you don't get any service. You can't have it both ways. And a lot of drivers already wouldn't service stops that are on hills when its snowing and slippery. Now they're just putting it in writing to let everyone know. 

1 hour ago, T3G said:

That's what I figured was the case, but that's also what I found to be ludicrous, considering the number of routes affected and the wide geographic range they cover. Who did they pull to do this job, anyway?

Likely staff that are already expected to be on the road - for example, the on-road supervisors that respond to incidents.

• Thanks 1