TTC Delays and Disruptions

14 minutes ago, MK78 said:

A crane collapsed at Dundas & River, blocking the 505. Interesting situation because the Toronto Hydro high voltage lines have collapsed on top of the streetcar overhead wires, and even though the TTC cut their feed there is still voltage being carried. I hope that does not damage any streetcars that are trapped within the area.

There's a good picture on the CP24 article where you can see the Toronto Hydro lines resting on top of the streetcar wires.  That'll energize the streetcar wires for sure until Toronto Hydro shuts off those transmission circuits.  It'll be interesting to see if the surge management and lightning arrest gear on the streetcars themselves plus the TTC power infrastructure prevented any damage from happening because it's a bit tough to tell from the pictures, but from the insulators on the poles, it looks like that might have been 13.8kv utility primary that came down on the streetcar wire.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, TTC7447 said:

A minor disruption of interest this morning:

As you can see in the video, the beaver is now in the safe hands of Toronto Animal Services.

Is that...Barney the safety Beaver???? Sure looks different.

He’s not being very safe. How disappointing.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TTC7447 said:

Looks like there was no train service on the entirety of Line 1 at some point today due to a mix of signal issues, and scheduled subway closure.

Yeah they had a lot of ATC trouble. Shuttle buses were a mess on that side.

Makes me wonder, how is ATC so unreliable? I hear ATC issues all the time on TTC radio. Whole point was to make it more reliable than the old system.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 5:28 PM, MK78 said:

Yeah they had a lot of ATC trouble. Shuttle buses were a mess on that side.

Makes me wonder, how is ATC so unreliable? I hear ATC issues all the time on TTC radio. Whole point was to make it more reliable than the old system.

It is pretty much all electronics and a computerized system. Especially since the program has to do many calculations per second. New technology will always present issues until it becomes more stabilized with all the logistics involved. 

Not only more reliable, but to also accommodate more trains closer together compared to the fixed block system where trains have to be divided between the safety blocks. Helpful during the peak periods to maximize capacity on the Yonge side of Line 1. 

2 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

It is pretty much all electronics and a computerized system. Especially since the program has to do many calculations per second. New technology will always present issues until it becomes more stabilized with all the logistics involved. 

Not only more reliable, but to also accommodate more trains closer together compared to the fixed block system where trains have to be divided between the safety blocks. Helpful during the peak periods to maximize capacity on the Yonge side of Line 1. 

I don't really feel like rummaging around commission reports to see if one's been made public but it would be interesting to see a breakdown of where faults with the ATO system lie.  I don't think it comes down to hitting a limitation on the number "calculatons per second" that can be done though.  On one side, it's a limited number of routines running what are essentially physics equations for the most part.  On the other side, computing is unbelievably plentiful and inexpensive now.  Consider the iron they installed to run the Scarborough RT automation or better yet the Montreal Metro's automation couldn't play a funny cat video or display a still image from one but the smartphone in your pocket can.  A couple of rack units of servers can run the Yonge/University/Spadina line no problem and probably do some bitcoin mining on the side outside of rush hour.

I have heard several times over the past year, ATC is down, we are rebooting the servers.

So part of it might be buggy software (gee, there's a shocker in today's world), other issues may still be with the various sensors along the line.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is this true that in effect all of Line 2 is shut down right now? I can't imagine how horrible of an incident has to happen that would require shutting down the entire line, as opposed to just that one stretch of the line where it happened.

Screenshot_20210613-120652_Chrome.jpg

14 minutes ago, 81-717 said:

Is this true that in effect all of Line 2 is shut down right now? I can't imagine how horrible of an incident has to happen that would require shutting down the entire line, as opposed to just that one stretch of the line where it happened.

Screenshot_20210613-120652_Chrome.jpg

It was a typo, service alert updated with new tweet

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Something going on with the surface bus network today? All day I've heard about issues with comms, buses being left at stations and work refusals due to no comms, now transit control wants station managers to look for "abandoned" buses.

Also a whack load of radio tests going over tetra on the point to point with a bunch of buses, at least in the east end of the city.

Anyone experience any service delays? I had a day off today didn't go out.

32 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Something going on with the surface bus network today? All day I've heard about issues with comms, buses being left at stations and work refusals due to no comms, now transit control wants station managers to look for "abandoned" buses.

Also a whack load of radio tests going over tetra on the point to point with a bunch of buses, at least in the east end of the city.

Anyone experience any service delays? I had a day off today didn't go out.

Yep. All day today. The TTC's been hit with ransomware, all the times at stations and nextbus times were down, heard some drivers complaining about the VISION system not working either. I had to wait at Davisville for a 14 for about 25 minutes (the normal wait is about 15; was a nice driver tho, he explained to the pax what was happening). Whole bunch of TTC non-revenue fleet vehicles kept me entertained, passing thru the station. Subway station next vehicle times said "every ___ minutes" (the Yonge line was 4 mins), but no noticeable disruptions.

From the article: "TTC officials say they were made aware of “unusual network activity” on Thursday night and by midday Friday, the hackers “broadened their strike on network servers”

According to the TTC, they experienced loss of their Vision system which is used to communicate with vehicle operators, forcing them to use a backup radio system. They also lost vehicle information used to update trip planning apps and Wheel-Trans bookings were unavailable. Internal email service was also affected.

“This incident did not cause significant service disruptions and there is no risk to employee or customer safety,” the TTC said in a statement Friday night."

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2021/10/29/ttc-says-it-was-the-victim-of-ransomware-attack/