TTC Delays and Disruptions

Brimley does not typically suffer from traffic even in rush hour. Only sometimes coming out of SCT south to Ellesmere there is a little traffic but after that its pretty smooth. At least it's been my experience over the years.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Andythagiant said:

4480 has derailed at Lakeshore and Kipling.

Dang. I wonder what the damage extent could be, if it sort of just skids along a paved road and doesnt hit anything like curbs or light standards.

14 hours ago, Andythagiant said:

4480 has derailed at Lakeshore and Kipling.

5 hours ago, jameskoole said:

17 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Dang. I wonder what the damage extent could be, if it sort of just skids along a paved road and doesnt hit anything like curbs or light standards.

Ouch!  I was wondering about the extent of the damage too.  The last articulation joint might have been damaged pretty badly.  I've never seen one pinched shut so tightly.  The two solid sections of car body are almost touching there in that picture.  Think about how overstretched the other side has to be and what this must have done with all the mechanical and electrical linkages joining those two sections of the car.

6 minutes ago, Shaun said:

I understand that Line 3 is shut down because of the cold. Do we know what the exact problem is? 

Where they shovelling the line by hand yesterday?  Is that why it took them so long to get it back and running? 

No. ST-1 has brushes and was operating a few days ago. Line 3 is closed because the weather is causing the trains to "give up".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

506 and 512 aren't running but I'm not sure I believe the TTC's reasoning of bad weather because all of the extra streetcars were dumped on to other routes.

All the 512 cars were changed to NIS and pulled off the line en masse at about 7 AM from both directions. By that time some shuttles were running but not nearly enough.

What are the reasons for pulling all streetcars off of some lines? 

31 minutes ago, 63 Ossington said:

All the 512 cars were changed to NIS and pulled off the line en masse at about 7 AM from both directions. By that time some shuttles were running but not nearly enough.

What are the reasons for pulling all streetcars off of some lines? 

They don't run streetcars on the 512, 501L or other sections of the network during Ice storms. They can't keep the overhead free of ice

1 hour ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

No service to Dufferin Loop or Distillery Loop due to icy roads. I guess service on the 504 isn't frequent enough to keep the roads clear. ?

510 also turning back at Queens Quay due to "weather conditions" while the 509 runs. ?

504A has a wheel trans vehicle running to Distillery from King, 504B has no substitute they say use the 29 

2 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

They don't run streetcars on the 512, 501L or other sections of the network during Ice storms. They can't keep the overhead free of ice

There wasn't any accumulation occurring up on Gerrard earlier, until about 10 AM. Ice pellets didn't stick, and then looked more like snow than anything. And it's not accumulating much downtown now.

Looking at the radar, the precip has mostly pushed off to the south.

Is there somewhere in the city where the ice is building up? Seems like an over-reaction to me.

Last good ice storm I remember, I tried to use Queen East from Broadview ... and they could keep that free of ice ... it slowly came to a virtual standstill ... spent forever (over 10 minutes) going between Carlaw and Jones ... by which point I was just trying to stay dry in the streetcar waiting for the Jones bus to appear. :)

44 minutes ago, nfitz said:

There wasn't any accumulation occurring up on Gerrard earlier, until about 10 AM. Ice pellets didn't stick, and then looked more like snow than anything. And it's not accumulating much downtown now.

Is there somewhere in the city where the ice is building up? Seems like an over-reaction to me.

Last good ice storm I remember, I tried to use Queen East from Broadview ... and they could keep that free of ice ... it slowly came to a virtual standstill ... spent forever (over 10 minutes) going between Carlaw and Jones ... by which point I was just trying to stay dry in the streetcar waiting for the Jones bus to appear. :)

It's all part of their ice storm plan: http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Route_diversions/Ice_Storm1.jsp 

55 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Looks like some good ice build up to me.  

IMG_20190206_170052.jpg

Does anyone know what the slow order is SB on Line 1 south of Dupont Stn, clearing about midway to the Spadina crossover? It's not stacking on the approach to St. George as regular speed (or at least series power) is run without further interference from there on. The backup isn't as bad as before, with trains generally crawling/stopping only after the final curve on the approach to the descent into Dupont. But the slow order appears to be ~15km/h and has reappeared after disappearing during the latter half of last week.

Well, it took long enough but the SRT finally took a crap due to a disabled train, not only that they've got no comms with Transit Control.

Edit: they've got comms re-established, trying to get a line mechanic to the disabled train at Lawrence East. Precious minutes passing while freezing rain is coming down with no train movement. I've got a feeling there may be issue with ice on the power rails even if they get this train moving.