TTC Delays and Disruptions

1 hour ago, Orion VI said:

I hear you; yesterday as I am shoveling my driveway, 1025 was skidding as it accelerated from a stop and I could see the frustration on the operators face. 

Kind of expecting this tonight: 

Tromping on the accelerator does not make the bus go faster in the snow, it creates a slicker surface, but hey not his or her bus they  didn't buy it so F it Tromp away 

6 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Are TTC drivers given training specifically in regards to snow driving?

If you do initial training in winter you do, otherwise you just drive according to weather conditions.  Little bit of snow doesn't really matter, but when you have as much as we have tonight there isn't much you can do as the tires on the bus suck in deep snow. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

If you do initial training in winter you do, otherwise you just drive according to weather conditions.  Little bit of snow doesn't really matter, but when you have as much as we have tonight there isn't much you can do as the tires on the bus suck in deep snow. 

**If you do initial training in winter you do**  <---- LOL 

6 hours ago, raptorjays said:

Looks like there is a problem at Islington Station Bus Bays..

Islington Station: 37, 50, 937 will be boarding at the north east corner of Islington and Bloor and 110 will be boarding at the south west corner of Islington and Bloor, due to roadway conditions.

A number of stations had similar notices posted earlier today... from what I remember from this morning, Scarborough Centre (both TTC and GO) was another station that had all buses serve the stops "on street" (although the exactly location was not specified) until snow clearing inside the station had taken place.

Islington would probably be particularly susceptible to issues like this with the amount of tight turns that need to be made.

Wow the SRT is still not running as of 6pm today... I still hear the dispatch giving directions to the ST-1 locomotive. I wonder what equipment it could be pushing or pulling, i wonder if the snowblower I saw a picture of once actually works.

5 hours ago, Articulated said:

A number of stations had similar notices posted earlier today... from what I remember from this morning, Scarborough Centre (both TTC and GO) was another station that had all buses serve the stops "on street" (although the exactly location was not specified) until snow clearing inside the station had taken place.

Islington would probably be particularly susceptible to issues like this with the amount of tight turns that need to be made.

Lawrence was street level boarding this morning and Kipling also. Pioneer was street boarding this evening

5 hours ago, Articulated said:

As I mention in the Today's Sightings thread, 9084 jackknifed on the turn into Scarborough Centre Station, blocking access to the south side of the terminal for about an hour. All buses entered the terminal from the Brimley and exited onto McCowan. The buses stuck in the tunnel entering from McCowan behind 9084 used the taxi driveway to exit the station.

51 minutes ago, MK78 said:

SRT down again due to weather. Cant be the snow cuz it was running today, must be the cold?

There was door problems at McCowan, and other trains could probably not function properly so headway's would be horrible, so they probably figured buses would work better 

Yeah, i can't see this crap lasting that much longer. It's not just the trains, but the whole infrastructure is crumbling. Well past it's service life, like the CLRV/ALRV's.

I think they would be better off just shutting it down and replacing it with a permanent, more frequent LFS Artic shuttle, going along Brimley, stopping only at Lawrence & Ellesmere.

They'd have to build some bigger bus shelters on Lawrence & Brimley, but there's lots of room there, since a lot of people transfer from 54 to the RT.

I wonder why there hasn't been even talks of implementing bus lanes on Brimley to accommodate rush-hour service. They could just be part-time so that traffic wouldn't be clogged during off-peak service.

And speaking of crumbling infrastructure, it seems like there are similar problems just down the 401...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/detroit-people-mover-closed-wednesday-evening-due-to-bitter-temperature