TTC Delays and Disruptions

Shuttle buses out on Lake Shore, replacing streetcars.

Anyone know what the "emergency road repairs" that are causing this are? Seems to have started yesterday evening. Water main break?

ETA: it's Rogers, digging holes at Superior and Lake Shore. It looked like they could have kept the streetcar tracks open, if they really wanted to. I guess not. :rolleyes:

To add, it seems like 4002 is trapped somewhere between Humber loop and Park Lawn. Maybe I'll have a chance to check it out this afternoon.

• Like 1

Anyone have any information on why the TTC has begun crippling subway service by reducing speeds on all open cut sections throughout the system? There's really no reason for this since we havent had any recent inclement weather that would cause this kind of non-sense to happen regularly.

18 minutes ago, lip said:

Anyone have any information on why the TTC has begun crippling subway service by reducing speeds on all open cut sections throughout the system? There's really no reason for this since we havent had any recent inclement weather that would cause this kind of non-sense to happen regularly.

There has been the noise issue on the BD, and leaves on track (though they should all be gone already), but also what seems like an unusually high number of track defects requiring emergency repairs during service hours (though these have not been exclusive to open cuts).

On a separate note, the switching from wayside to ATC at Dupont is highly variable in terms of smoothness - sometimes it seems like a normal stop with no extra time needed, but sometimes we're dwelling for over 30 seconds after the platform is sufficiently serviced. However I wonder if that is due to ATC holding the train for service spacing, or if there are difficulties with hooking up the train to ATC.  I'm wondering if that's the case, due to the fact that the SB direction is much smoother transitioning to wayside/manual mode than NB into ATC. But if ATC does auto-regulate service regularity, it doesn't explain why there are still ridiculous gaps during the morning peak hours...

1 hour ago, Kelvin3157 said:

What appeared to be a bomb threat at King closed Bloor-Yonge to Union

That was part of the slew of North America-wide bomb threats made today.

For a while, trains were turning back at St. Andrew during the suspension. The TTC announcements kept saying it was for an "off property" TPS investigation at King, but according to the TPS post, the subject of the bomb threat was King itself..

36 minutes ago, MK78 said:

It was horrific injuries, I won't describe them here because it would likely be moderated. But I heard it on the EMS radio, and it was an extremely difficult rescue for Toronto Fire, who had to use airbags.

Apparently the person dropped something on the tracks and went to go pick it up... and they didn't see the train

8 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

Unfortunately I've seen the video. Pretty disturbing watching it nevermind seeing it in person. 

Yeah, same here. And to think they actually rescued the person by pulling him under the platform, is pretty messed up.

I don't really think sharing it publicly is appropriate, particularly as you may get some younger members clicking on it without fully realizing the consequences of what they're diving into.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

I don't really think sharing it publicly is appropriate, particularly as you may get some younger members clicking on it without fully realizing the consequences of what they're diving into.

Unfortunately this is the reality that subway operators have to deal with a little too often. 

17 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Sadly, we're still waiting on when platform screen doors become a reality to prevent these unfortunate events

I think the TTC & emergency services should use this incident as part of public awareness, since it wasn't a suicide attempt.