TTC Delays and Disruptions

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

The delays today must have been really frustrating for commuters. 

Could the TTC have handled the situation better? Perhaps running shuttle busses after the morning rush to help alleviate the delayed passengers? 

Could routing trains through lower Bay allowed them to add more trains in the morning? Instead of using the bottom loop, which is where the problem spot was? 

I just feel like them saying sorry is not good enough. There must be mechanisms put into place to help people.  Perhaps running more buses between east and west stations to allow customers to use the yonge line? 

I just feel like they are always apologizing for stuff that goes wrong and don't really do anything during the crisis to help accommodate passengers. 

Remember TTC doesn't have money for hiring extra operators to chill and wait till there's a major delay. Running more buses on EW routes means NS routes would loose buses.

Toronto really needs more lines. If they separate the University line from the Yonge line, most problems would have been solved. A delay on one portion of Yonge would lead to a gap on the Spadina half an hour later. The relief line would have been better.

I agree the TTC could have done better. I find that they don't seem to have a good plan when things go wrong. Instead of having people slowly traveling down Spadina to St George or on Yonge, they could have just shutdown St George to Union and removed the excess trains. Instead they just run every train through the delay area hoping to service every station while causing everyone else a lot of trouble. It's like detouring the 506 down Queen and Coxwell for a complete line which causing more delays.

What was more annoying is there was a delay last night at Spadina Station causing the same stretch a ton of problems. The delay lasted from around 9pm to end of service. The entire Yonge line was affected.

13 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Remember TTC doesn't have money for hiring extra operators to chill and wait till there's a major delay. Running more buses on EW routes means NS routes would loose buses.

Toronto really needs more lines. If they separate the University line from the Yonge line, most problems would have been solved. A delay on one portion of Yonge would lead to a gap on the Spadina half an hour later. The relief line would have been better.

I agree the TTC could have done better. I find that they don't seem to have a good plan when things go wrong. Instead of having people slowly traveling down Spadina to St George or on Yonge, they could have just shutdown St George to Union and removed the excess trains. Instead they just run every train through the delay area hoping to service every station while causing everyone else a lot of trouble. It's like detouring the 506 down Queen and Coxwell for a complete line which causing more delays.

What was more annoying is there was a delay last night at Spadina Station causing the same stretch a ton of problems. The delay lasted from around 9pm to end of service. The entire Yonge line was affected.

To respond to your first point- can you imagine what people would say if the TTC just had a bunch of standby buses waiting for delays? Wasting taxpayer dollars!! How dare they just pay drivers to sit around!!! Wait, Didn't that actually happen a few years ago? 

Just now, yrt1000 said:

To respond to your first point- can you imagine what people would say if the TTC just had a bunch of standby buses waiting for delays? Wasting taxpayer dollars!! How dare they just pay drivers to sit around!!! Wait, Didn't that actually happen a few years ago? 

It's not the same back then. They have operators on spareboard assigned to runs but don't have buses for them to drive as they are stuck on hoists or waiting for parts. They fix most of that problem and increased the MDBF from 5000km to over 15000km with a higher spare ratio.

An easy solution would be to short turn half the trains at union and have them go back up to finch. 

Park some of the excess trains in tail tracks or at Davisville yard until the problem cleared. 

This would mean less trains but more space for the trains to travel meaning faster travel times. 

The trains would be fuller but at least they would be moving. 

I just don't understand why they can't put into place simple Solutions like these.

Im sure if they offered overtime, there could have been drivers that would be willing to work shuttle service during the outage. 

Don't tell me that they dont have 20 spare buses that are not scheduled for maintenance during the day. And 20 operators who would work overtime. 

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

An easy solution would be to short turn half the trains at union and have them go back up to finch. 

Park some of the excess trains in tail tracks or at Davisville yard until the problem cleared. 

This would mean less trains but more space for the trains to travel meaning faster travel times. 

The trains would be fuller but at least they would be moving. 

I just don't understand why they can't put into place simple Solutions like these.

Im sure if they offered overtime, there could have been drivers that would be willing to work shuttle service during the outage. 

Don't tell me that they dont have 20 spare buses that are not scheduled for maintenance during the day. And 20 operators who would work overtime. 

Short turning half the trains won't work. It will only work in an ideal situation theoretically but not in the real TTC environment.

They probably even done that yesterday. For things to go smoothly, they have to turn back all turns at Union. Otherwise trains would be waiting to clear the switch area. As trains arrive unevenly (since TTC is at max operating capacity), there will be times that trains have to wait at the Sheppard West bound platform for the incoming train at the Finch bound platform to clear before crossing over. This will block the next Sheppard West bound train and cause it to hold at King and create a chain effect.

On a simple analysis, the short turning train would dwell twice as long to kick everyone off the train and create platform chaos when people tries to board. It already prone to delays. All of this happens during every delay. It does not work. It has to be a complete shutdown at that section.

---

Shuttle buses don't work downtown during rush hour. 20 buses will hardly do anything. Unless they reserve a lane down University, forgot it.

Additionally, the TTCs own policy basically restricts shuttle buses in scenarios like this. Something similar happened on the B--D line a few months ago and I called them explicitly telling them they should implement shuttle buses since travel times were getting out of hand (it took me an hour to get from Spadina to Runnymede).

That's when I was informed that they dont dispatch shuttle buses unless there is a complete suspension of service on a part of the subway line. I can understand this to a degree during the rush hour, but outside of the rush hour the policy makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

19 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

It's not the same back then. They have operators on spareboard assigned to runs but don't have buses for them to drive as they are stuck on hoists or waiting for parts. They fix most of that problem and increased the MDBF from 5000km to over 15000km with a higher spare ratio.

Actually no.  Sometimes there are not enough crews to be filled by spareboard operaters.  Hence they have to ait around for report.  Everyday at eglington every spareboard operaters are aasigned to a crew and dont sit around for report.

Major delay at Bloor/Yonge right now. Line 1 shut down Eglinton-Union and Line 2 St. George to Broadview, and all that's said is its due to a police investigation and it may last for a while. Anyone know what happened? Bomb threat?

Edit: delay lasted about a half hour. When I got back off the subway it was all clear. Good thing I was only going to Broadview anyway

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, yrt1000 said:

Major delay at Bloor/Yonge right now. Line 1 shut down Eglinton-Union and Line 2 St. George to Broadview, and all that's said is its due to a police investigation and it may last for a while. Anyone know what happened? Bomb threat?

Edit: delay lasted about a half hour. When I got back off the subway it was all clear. Good thing I was only going to Broadview anyway

http://www.cp24.com/news/police-searching-for-suspect-after-alleged-threat-on-subway-1.3544043

• 5 weeks later...

P1 at dufferin, no service ossington - keele, it started at around 3:50. 29 diverting around dufferin stn via college, ossington, dupont nb, and sb via dupont, lansdowne, college. Id assume buses were pulled from the 44\188, as TTC sent out an alert saying that all kipling south buses are running local. TTC has advised to take the up express as an alternate route to this closure.

• Sad 1

On 9/21/2017 at 12:21 AM, 63 Ossington said:

At around 4:30 there were numerous slowboxes deadheading WB along Bloor to the zone. Curious how they managed to keep Ossington's traction power on despite Dufferin being the very next station.

The changeover for the power supply would be at Ossington I am guessing. I know they did this at Broadview last year for the bridge work closures 

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Andythagiant said:

P1 at Runnymede right now. Listening in on the TTC Constable radio and it doesn’t sound pretty. Most likely gonna be down for a while.

I heard lots of emergency vehicles around 10:20-10:30 last night, must have been bad based on the amount of sirens i heard.

• Sad 1

On 10/25/2017 at 3:47 PM, H4 5600 said:

I heard lots of emergency vehicles around 10:20-10:30 last night, must have been bad based on the amount of sirens i heard.

a P1 call from TFS alone brings in a chief car, 2 pumper/rescue pumpers, an ladder truck and a squad (heavy rescue) . Plus TPS units and EMS units

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Was caught in that - TTC marshalled buses from Mount Denis, Queensway (even 8004), and Wilson.  When I passed Dufferin & Bloor around 3:20 there were six fire trucks on scene.

Subway shuttles are always an adventure, my only comment is that there should have been a police presence and Ossington & Keele Stations to help the flow of vehicles.

Another delay I was caught in was westbound Queen at Broadview. A construction truck winged eastbound 4041 and closed Queen west of Broadview.  Trapped quite a number of 501 & 504 cars and 501 & 502 buses.

• 2 weeks later...