TTC Delays and Disruptions

This thread is for any minor or major subway delays, to prevent countless threads somewhere along the lines of "Subway Delay" or "What Happened today."

I'll start with one today. I got to St. Clair West at 1:55 PM and immediately heard the announcement that there was a delay at Bloor-Yonge with an "emergency at platform level" (never heard that one before). As my H5 was entering Dupont, I heard it again but this time with shuttle buses between Union and Eglinton. As I switched to BD, I noticed there were very few people on my westbound T1, likely due to the delay. At Spadina, another announcement came on stating that all trains will be bypassing Yonge Stn. due to the emergency on the YUS platform. I heard this announcement at every stop and even while leaving Kipling Stn. on the 49.

This must have been serious if BD trains were bypassing Yonge, anybody know what happened and whether or not its been cleared yet? It's been 4 hours so I suppose everything is back to normal.

I'll start with one today. I got to St. Clair West at 1:55 PM and immediately heard the announcement that there was a delay at Bloor-Yonge with an "emergency at platform level" (never heard that one before). As my H5 was entering Dupont, I heard it again but this time with shuttle buses between Union and Eglinton. As I switched to BD, I noticed there were very few people on my westbound T1, likely due to the delay. At Spadina, another announcement came on stating that all trains will be bypassing Yonge Stn. due to the emergency on the YUS platform. I heard this announcement at every stop and even while leaving Kipling Stn. on the 49.

This must have been serious if BD trains were bypassing Yonge, anybody know what happened and whether or not its been cleared yet? It's been 4 hours so I suppose everything is back to normal.

I was at St.George Station at around 3:15pm, waiting for a northbound YUS train, and I read on the TV screens that the delay/problem at Bloor-Yonge Station was cleared, but I don't know the exact time when the problem was cleared.

-Ryan

I heard around 4pm on CP24 that the delay at Bloor was cleared but there were still longer than normal waits.

If you use quotes, it means your quoting someone, word for word. What you posted in ur comment is not a quote becuase thats NOT what was said, thats what u r saying. What actually was said was " emergency situation at track level".

And as someone said, it was a jumper and it was a bad one. took bout 2 hours to get the line going.

This thread is for any minor or major subway delays, to prevent countless threads somewhere along the lines of "Subway Delay" or "What Happened today."

If you use quotes, it means your quoting someone, word for word. What you posted in ur comment is not a quote becuase thats NOT what was said, thats what u r saying. What actually was said was " emergency situation at track level".

And as someone said, it was a jumper and it was a bad one. took bout 2 hours to get the line going.

Yes i seen the white powder they used to cover up the blood, but they didnt do a good job cause you could still see some of the blood stains, i was on one of the few trains through after the reopened the line

I guess that who ever jumped it must want to kill itself. What kind of a crazy person would do a such thing to cause trouble?

No need to guess here.. it's pretty obvious.

Unless the person had a sudden seizure as the train approached (highly unlikely) and happened to stand at the very edge of the platform at the same time, it's very, very obvious that the person wanted to end his/her life. Nobody sane is stupid enough to jump in front of the heavy 6-car train approaching at high speeds, in order to "cause trouble". I'd say the survival chance is 0%, and every person with half the IQ of Paris Hilton knows that.

I assume that many people had the misfortune to witness the shocking incident, because it was mentioned that it happened on the Southbound side of the platform, assuming that most of the passengers were waiting on the north side of the platform (the area closest to the stairs to the BD line and also where the train approaches the fastest when going southbound).

Why should it matter as long as we get the idea? (I did, at first glance) Maybe he meant that what was said was along the lines of... "emergency at platform level". In some cases (especially when there is confusion and people are unaware of the situation), it is not that easy to pay attention to the announcements, and sometimes the announcements are not clear enough.

Geez... talk about nitpicking :)

BTW, Nowhere (credible) does it say that a quote has to be word for word. I don't know where you got that from, as that is just too arbitrary.

I guess that who ever jumped it must want to kill itself. What kind of a crazy person would do a such thing to cause trouble?

Good guess, what did you think, they were trying to injure themselves? They're a human being not a 'itself', and not all people are crazy for doing that but sorry that it casued you trouble, dumbass.

Go back to school buddy, and learn what a quote is ok? Then start shooting ur mouth k?

BTW, Nowhere (credible) does it say that a quote has to be word for word. I don't know where you got that from, as that is just too arbitrary.

The word that you're looking for is 'paraphrase'.

Go back to school buddy, and learn what a quote is ok? Then start shooting ur mouth k?

Let me point out a few things..

1) Thank you for your very insightful (not!) advice :) I perfectly know what a quote is. I also know that a quote does not have to be word for word (exact), but something along the lines of what was said. You have absolutely no credibility to convince me, especially judging by the style of "ur"(sic) writing.

2) I find it highly ironic that someone using internet slang such as "ur", "k" is telling me to go back to school and learn what a quote is. :( If you want to look more credible, I suggest that you change your writing style, Mr. Teenager.

3) If you check any dictionary, and look up the word "quote"

1. to repeat (a passage, phrase, etc.) from a book, speech, or the like, as by way of authority, illustration, etc.

2. to repeat words from (a book, author, etc.).

3. to use a brief excerpt from: The composer quotes Beethoven's Fifth in his latest work.

4. to cite, offer, or bring forward as evidence or support.

5. to enclose (words) within quotation marks.

6. Commerce. a. to state (a price).

b. to state the current price of.

NOWHERE does it say that a quote has to be word for word. My conclusion? Your idea of a quote simply having to be word for word is... simply your idea, and nothing more. Qsy6737's "quote" (as you claim he was trying to do) was not a void one.

4) It seems that you like to cause a stir over something very minor and trivial. I don't think that is such a good idea, as that can hardly be considered as a worthy contribution to this message board.

5) (The most important one).. In the thread starter.. HE NEVER MENTIONED THE WORD QUOTE, NOR DID HE STATE THAT HE WAS QUOTING SOMEONE. That makes your whole argument pointless.

If we're using quotes, should we use MLA or APA format? :) This isn't scholarly discussion here, it's casual conversation.

I think we can excuse people for not following the rules of essay writing.

Agreed. :(

Furthermore, Qsy6737's "quote" (or paraphrase, or whatever...) met the following criterias.

1. to repeat (a passage, phrase, etc.) from a book, speech, or the like, as by way of authority, illustration, etc.

2. to repeat words from (a book, author, etc.).

3. to use a brief excerpt from: The composer quotes Beethoven's Fifth in his latest work.

4. to cite, offer, or bring forward as evidence or support.

5. to enclose (words) within quotation marks.

Sometimes I wonder if people come here solely for the purpose of causing a stir (often because of something ridiculously trivial) for the sake of arguing. If they don't, it is beyond me why people nitpick over the most trivial things.

Doesn't this suicide happen like 4 times a week or somethin?

From what somebody posted on the board a year or two back it happens about once a week on the BD line, once a month on the YUS line and once in awhile on the Sheppard and SRT lines. Also, according to ttcrider.ca Ossington Station is romoured to be the popular station for people to commit suicide at which is very sad if you ask me, I feel sorry for the train operators.

Let's put the scholarly discussion behind us and get back to the "meaningless" reporting of subway delays. :P<_<

YUS is stop and go this morning as, as Rick Mercer puts it, "snow hit Toronto... again."

There seems to be chronic issues with the X5 and X7 signals southbound from Eglinton to Davisville that are prevent the signal from clearing. Delays have occurred a couple of times this week on the Y-U-S for this reason.

This afternoon put my mum off ever riding the subway ever again.

All was well until we arrived at Bloor-Yonge to travel westbound and then to the car at Wilson. The platform resembled a rush hour scene, and after waiting about 15 minutes, my parents decided to go east a couple of stops so I could be in the front through Lower Bay. As we were boarding an eastbound, an announcement said there was no westbound service on the BD between Broadview and Museum. At this point, my mum panicked, because she did not know how we were going to get back to the car which was parked at Wilson. I suggested that we get off at Broadview and take a 504 or 505 back west. We did the 505, a crush load to Dundas Station, then south and back north to Wilson.

At Broadview, 3 cops and 2 TTC supervisors were controlling crowds who were boarding 4161, 4105 and 6651 westbound.

This afternoon put my mum off ever riding the subway ever again.

All was well until we arrived at Bloor-Yonge to travel westbound and then to the car at Wilson. The platform resembled a rush hour scene, and after waiting about 15 minutes, my parents decided to go east a couple of stops so I could be in the front through Lower Bay. As we were boarding an eastbound, an announcement said there was no westbound service on the BD between Broadview and Museum. At this point, my mum panicked, because she did not know how we were going to get back to the car which was parked at Wilson. I suggested that we get off at Broadview and take a 504 or 505 back west. We did the 505, a crush load to Dundas Station, then south and back north to Wilson.

At Broadview, 3 cops and 2 TTC supervisors were controlling crowds who were boarding 4161, 4105 and 6651 westbound.

I heard lots of people saying that this is the last time they'll ever use the TTC due to the diversion and then later the signal failure wich slowed down the hole subway system.

I was just on the subway and when I was at Woodine Stn around 3:50 they annonced that a delay at Warden Stn was cleared and trains were now running between Vic Park & Kennedy. At Coxwell Stn trains were coming in as fast as they were at Museum Stn on the weekend, the platform was packed until the second train came in, there were still some people on the platform including myself when the second train left and when the third train came it was back to normal with no one on the platform and not yet full load on the train until Woodbine Stn.

I was just on the subway and when I was at Woodine Stn around 3:50 they annonced that a delay at Warden Stn was cleared and trains were now running between Vic Park & Kennedy. At Coxwell Stn trains were coming in as fast as they were at Museum Stn on the weekend, the platform was packed until the second train came in, there were still some people on the platform including myself when the second train left and when the third train came it was back to normal with no one on the platform and not yet full load on the train until Woodbine Stn.

I arrived at Kipling Stn. at 3:20 and heard nothing of this, so the delay couldn't have been more than 30 minutes.