OC Transpo/STO Fan

STO Classic Retirement Watch

What do you think will be the last Classic in service?

I'm voting on either 9136 or 9137 as they have plush comfortable seats.

24 minutes ago, STO_1601 said:

What do you think will be the last Classic in service?

I'm voting on either 9136 or 9137 as they have plush comfortable seats.

Last one will be whichever is in better condition. Could be any. Surprised they lasted this long with how the winter is in Calgary.

Just now, dudebrains said:

9225 spotted returning to garage right now!

BE721769-DD0A-4CCA-B02F-473456FEBCAA.thumb.jpeg.0608d623af25d30149c951f4a14f87d8.jpeg

That's great, Now all that leaves is 9135.

4 minutes ago, Tom1122 said:

I'm going to be in Ottawa tomorrow and Thursday. Where's the best place to see them in service?

At the corner of MacKenzie and Rideau

22 hours ago, Burnt Director said:

Here's my pictures of 9136  25/09/19 

20190925170601_IMG_2941.JPG

20190925170655_IMG_2951.JPG

Nice pictures! 

9137 Spotted this AM running the 834 -> École secondaire de l'Île!

Just now, Tom1122 said:

9137 on routes 25 and 27 today. I saw another Classic (I think it was 9134)

Did it have an orange destination sign? Then it would be 9134.

11 hours ago, STO_1601 said:

Did it have an orange destination sign? Then it would be 9134.

I didn't get a good look at the bus and I mostly saw it from the back.

I wrote to my contact at STO asking what the situation is with the Classics. She replied that they will receive 43 new buses in 2020. The expectation is that the Classics will retire then - but since ridership is increasing, there is a chance that their lives will be prolonged. We will see!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, SMS said:

I wrote to my contact at STO asking what the situation is with the Classics. She replied that they will receive 43 new buses in 2020. The expectation is that the Classics will retire then - but since ridership is increasing, there is a chance that their lives will be prolonged. We will see!

I am sorry to step in, but I think it is getting out of hand with the constant messages to STO every 5 minutes.

1 hour ago, Enviro_1203 said:

I am sorry to step in, but I think it is getting out of hand with the constant messages to STO every 5 minutes.

SMS is affiliated with the STO. He has contacts and he has the right sources which is good to get the right information instead of someone outside messaging STO facebook page every 10 minutes. Those at the front desk wouldn't know anything. I do get your point though. With 43 buses, I do not see the Classic's lasting much longer. I'm actually surprised to see these specific ones last this long with how the weather in Calgary is.

2 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

last this long with how the weather in Calgary is.

If I recall correctly, the Classics Sto got from Calgary were refurbished prior to being retired. The other main reason they have lasted this long, is Calgary uses sand (instead of salt) on the roads in the winter.

I hope they also do a ceremonial ride or something like that on the last day of service for these buses.

I just feels wrong not to do one as they have ran with the STO for 30+ years and were the most iconic buses in the fleet.

1 hour ago, STO_1601 said:

I hope they also do a ceremonial ride or something like that on the last day of service for these bus.

I just feels wrong not to do one as they have ran with the STO for 30+ years and were the most iconic buses in the fleet.

Doesn't really matter to be honest. Bus is a bus.

8 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

Doesn't really matter to be honest. Bus is a bus.

While it is "just a bus", it's a very specific bus that has us amazed to this day. GM MCI, and NovaBus built the best transit buses to date (except for NovaBuses  1996-1997 LFS and Classics...)

3 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

While it is "just a bus", it's a very specific bus that has us amazed to this day. GM MCI, and NovaBus built the best transit buses to date (except for NovaBuses  1996-1997 LFS and Classics...)

Uh, no.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Certainly looks recent as Construction on Parliament West block is complete

20 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Uh, no.

Name me a bus that lasted longer and didn't break down often like the GM new looks/Classics. In regards to North America, nothing has even come even close to lasting as long as those buses did. Orion, New Flyer, NovaBus (1995+)?

I'm curious to hear your opinion

Post 1993 Orion V.

With structural maintenance over the axles about every six years with heavy use, which the GM monocoque design also needed, you got a bus with more low end torque, higher top speed, and workable wheelchair lifts and A/C system, while keeping roughly the same fuel mileage of 6 MPG that the GMs got, despite the extra weight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2