OC Transpo/STO Fan

STO 89xx-95xx Classic Spottings/Retirement Watch

7 hours ago, dudebrains said:

It is with great sadness...

That I announce the retirement of STO 9131, 9133 and 9224

These coaches were found stripped of parts at the STO Hull garage last night around 11:00 during volunteering for La Grande Guignolée des Médias and confirmed dead by a supervisor.

These coaches will be forever remembered for their longevity and as very reliable and comfortable.

Please take the time to remember these coaches.

Rest in pieces 9131, 9133 and 9224

We were unable to obtain pictures of 9224, but it has been confirmed as dead. It can be seen through the driver's window in the second picture

No funeral will be held

Here are the descriptions for the pictures below:

1- 9131 awaits scrapping on "death row"  (notice the seat under the front wheel)

2- 9133 await scrapping stripped of all valuable parts (notice 9224 can be seen [also retired] through the drivers window)

3- 9133 is seen from another angle (again, notice the seat under the front wheel)

4- The front mirror of 9133 is seen, almost broken off.

More photos of retired Classics and of 7901 can be found on my Flickr photostream.

STO 9131 (1) STO 9133 (1) STO 9133 (3) STO 9133 (2)

Could a wiki editor please mark these coaches RETIRED.

Thank yo

Great information, thank you!

What a waste of money the sto spent on renewing three of the classics license plate stickers just to be retired almost 5 months later.

Just checked my photo album, I have a ride on route 76 on 9224 recorded at 4K 60 frames per second! Definitely posting that tonight as tribute.

2 hours ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

Great information, thank you!

What a waste of money the sto spent on renewing three of the classics license plate stickers just to be retired almost 5 months later.

Just checked my photo album, I have a ride on route 76 on 9224 recorded at 4K 60 frames per second! Definitely posting that tonight as tribute.

Not nesessarily....they couldve got some use out of the buses but it wouldve been too costly to repair a failure ultimately leading to the removal from service. Maybe a major component failed such as the motor, which a replacement would be upwards of $20k

Just now, Enviro_1203 said:

Not nesessarily....they couldve got some use out of the buses but it wouldve been too costly to repair a failure ultimately leading to the removal from service. Maybe a major component failed such as the motor, which a replacement would be upwards of $20k

Fair point

Now that 2019 is just around the corner I will create a list of the ex-Calgary Transit Classics.

Since this will be the last year for them, please make every last moment of them count until we are down to the very last unit.

green = active + last spotted

red = retired

• 9131 - Retired
  • 9132 - Active as of February 21st
  • 9133 - Retired
  • 9134 - Active as of February 15th
  • 9135 - Active as of February 21st
  • 9136 - Active as of February 6th
  • 9137 - Active as of January 16th
  • 9138 - Retired
  • 9224 - Retired
  • 9225 - Active as of February 4th

37 minutes ago, STO_1601 said:

Now that 2019 is just around the corner I will create a list of the ex-Calgary Transit Classics.

Since this will be the last year for them make every last moment of them count until we are down to the very last unit.

green = active + last spotted

red = retired

• 9131 - Retired
  • 9132 - Active
  • 9133 - Retired
  • 9134 - Active
  • 9135 - Active
  • 9136 - Active
  • 9137 - Active
  • 9138 - Active
  • 9224 - Retired
  • 9225 - Active

Thats what the Wiki is for...

6 minutes ago, TTC 9701 said:

Thats what the Wiki is for...

This is for the spottings of 2019 (Because every moment of this count more than ever). Nothing as happened yet since 2019 hasn't happened yet. Nobody is going to keep consistently editing this in the wiki day to day about the spottings.

1 hour ago, STO_1601 said:

This is for the spottings of 2019 (Because every moment of this count more than ever). Nothing as happened yet since 2019 hasn't happened yet. Nobody is going to keep consistently editing this in the wiki day to day about the spottings.

If you bothered checking, I do update the wiki often. 

Seen friday:

9137 -> 731 ÉCOLE SECONDAIRE DE L'ÎLE (Seen ± 7:50 AM @ Cégep Gabrielle-Roy layup)

9136 -> 734 ÉCOLE SECONDAIRE DE L'ÎLE (to Terrasses de la Chaudière) (seen ±3:10 pm @ de l'Île)

1 hour ago, STO_1601 said:

Spotted 9225 today downtown during the afternoon rush hour don't know what route it was though. 

Probably a 25. It's the most common route in the twenties to receive a classic since that route is a peak period route which mainly supplements service with regular routes in the community of Atmosphere (sounds weird, I know...) for students who come from schools in Ottawa. Most common routes I see a classic on in general; 20's, 40's, and 50's (I.e peak period routes with occasional regular route runs).

Also, before December 2018, (and from what I remember in December 2017) out of 5 trips, the first two trips on route 88 would be high floor buses. That has now since been eliminated as of December 2018 due to route 88 now being an accessible route. in fact if you look through my Google photos album on the sto classics you can see a video of mine on bus 9131 on route 88. You can view my album here on my Google Photos Album.  For the video of 9131 on Rte. 88, click the buttons here (Part 1)(Part 2)(Part 3). Also, MY FIRST STO video was a ride on 9108 on Rte. 88.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two spottings today;

-9134 on the 767 École secondaire de l'Île AM trip

And les fortunate;

-9138 broken down on the side of highway 5 southbound around 3:20.

I think we can say 9138 will probably be the next one not to go... :(

9 minutes ago, dudebrains said:

Two spottings today;

-9134 on the 767 École secondaire de l'Île AM trip

And les fortunate;

-9138 broken down on the side of highway 5 southbound around 3:20.

I think we can say 9138 will probably be the next one not to go... :(

Thanks, that leaves 9135 the only unit not spotted this year.

Don't forget to check out my list above.

Well I’m back with more sad stuff...

according to 2 separate inside sources, there are only classics left, 9134, 9136, 9137 and 9225. This means everything else has been retired (Now I really feel bad about not getting a pic of 9138 dead on the highway)

I will try to get in touch with the STO to see about getting info for the last day of service, but it now seems the sto is kinda merciless, and as soon as one breaks, it’s dead for good.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

36 minutes ago, dudebrains said:

according to 2 separate inside sources, there are only classics left, 9134, 9136, 9137 and 9225. This means everything else has been retired (Now I really feel bad about not getting a pic of 9138 dead on the highway)

I will try to get in touch with the STO to see about getting info for the last day of service, but it now seems the sto is kinda merciless, and as soon as one breaks, it’s dead for good.

Very interesting. A lot has changed since my first visit in 2015. There were a stack of Classic's and 7901 out every day.

1 hour ago, dudebrains said:

Do you have an idea of when the buses were retired? I can assume 9138 was out on February 15th (the same day OC 4213 was retired).