Changes to the application process

Hi everyone,

As anyone who has ever applied to be a Wiki editor probably knows, our old application process left much to be desired. Turnaround times could be quite long, and if you weren't accepted, you were left wondering why, or if anyone had even seen your post.

We're introducing a new system to remedy these issues. Starting now, you can visit the new 'Applications' forum to apply. We'll get back to you within a week, and we'll share info with you on why we came to the decision we did.

In addition, please give a warm welcome to our two new Wiki moderators - @Articulated and @Cappy! They'll be helping out with the new application process in addition to helping keep the Wiki itself running smoothly.

If you applied in the old thread after July 1, 2017, your name is in for consideration and we'll get back to you by August 11. Everyone else is welcome to apply again.

Thanks! :)

• Thanks 1

• 1604 pinned this topic
29 minutes ago, Abubakkar said:

I really want to join wiki editor

1604 has already mentioned above what a member has to do if he/she wants to be a Wiki Editor:

On 8/4/2017 at 11:13 PM, 1604 said:

We're introducing a new system to remedy these issues. Starting now, you can visit the new 'Applications' forum to apply. We'll get back to you within a week, and we'll share info with you on why we came to the decision we did.

When you visit the Applications subforum, read the instructions at the top before creating an application topic.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cappy said:

1604 has already mentioned above what a member has to do if he/she wants to be a Wiki Editor:

When you visit the Applications subforum, read the instructions at the top before creating an application topic.

We're is the new applications

30 minutes ago, Cappy said:

When you visit the Applications subforum, read the instructions at the top before creating an application 

10 minutes ago, Cappy said:

Click here.

10 minutes ago, Cappy said:

Click here.

What do I do now i did what it said

8 minutes ago, Abubakkar said:

What do I do now i did what it said

The application you created was immediately rejected for two reasons:

• You did not put in your username as the thread topic.
  • You did not mention what you would like to contribute in the Wiki.
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 6/16/2018 at 8:43 PM, FelixINX said:

Hi,

I'm not sure if I did my application correctly. It's been 3 weeks now and I'm not sure if I did something wrong or you guys are just in vacation.

Thanks!

I've had the same issue–it's a bit frustrating when I don't have an answer as to why I didn't get accepted. 1604 said in the first post that they would get back to us within 7 days, but I don't know what happened there.

I think they didn't reply because you aren't a good fit. I would like to know why I am not a good fit, not just telling me that.

1 hour ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

I've had the same issue–it's a bit frustrating when I don't have an answer as to why I didn't get accepted. 1604 said in the first post that they would get back to us within 7 days, but I don't know what happened there.

I think they didn't reply because you aren't a good fit. I would like to know why I am not a good fit, not just telling me that.

Its actually my second application. The first one they did get back to me in 7 days with the reason why I have been rejected.

On 6/18/2018 at 4:24 PM, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

1604 said in the first post that they would get back to us within 7 days, but I don't know what happened there.

On 6/18/2018 at 5:51 PM, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

Ask A Wong about it 

Life happens. At one point in time I updated Barp.ca weekly. Now I put something up a few times a year. Other things can compete with the time that people can devote to hobbies I'm afraid, and that can change over time.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

Life happens. At one point in time I updated Barp.ca weekly. Now I put something up a few times a year. Other things can compete with the time that people can devote to hobbies I'm afraid, and that can change over time.

I understand. I have made three applications since my first one that got a reply (got rejected), but got no answer for almost six months now. I get that they are busy, but to get no answer for almost half a year now is frustrating. 

The biggest problem with this wiki is... it is not a wiki. According to the inventor of the wiki :

A wiki invites all users—not just experts—to edit any page or to create new pages within the wiki Web site

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

When I do a edit on Wikipedia, I don't just correct a word, I update all the content. I do the same thing here : I don't just update a route name and division, I update all the 243 lines of the STM's system. And after the hours I pass to create a post in this board, nobody wants to edit it, because it's too much (and I understand).

https://cptdb.ca/topic/18690-stm-routes-changes/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FelixINX said:

The biggest problem with this wiki is... it is not a wiki. According to the inventor of the wiki :

A wiki invites all users—not just experts—to edit any page or to create new pages within the wiki Web site

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

When I do a edit on Wikipedia, I don't just correct a word, I update all the content. I do the same thing here : I don't just update a route name and division, I update all the 243 lines of the STM's system. And after the hours I pass to create a post in this board, nobody wants to edit it, because it's too much (and I understand).

https://cptdb.ca/topic/18690-stm-routes-changes/

The issue with that statement is that we have trolls who would change content in the pages. That's why they imposed the application process.

4 hours ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

The issue with that statement is that we have trolls who would change content in the pages. That's why they imposed the application process.

Is there a way to make edits approved by staff? This way I can make the edit directly into Mediawiki and they just click on accept, they don't have to copy and reformat what I post on the board.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2018 at 5:19 PM, FelixINX said:

Is there a way to make edits approved by staff? This way I can make the edit directly into Mediawiki and they just click on accept, they don't have to copy and reformat what I post on the board.

Not that I am aware of, no. The way it currently works is that you can only edit provided the staff designated you as a wiki editor in the first place.

I don't see any other issues with this though.

• 2 months later...

Question:

Now that @1604 (who created this is and no longer an admin) who is responsible for checking the applications that members send to become wiki editors?

As mentioned above,  Members who have applied don't seem to get replies within 7 days now that 1604 is no longer admin and become a wiki editor himself.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...