Kasper Mini Bus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

In a letter to it's customers and the (now defunct) Manitoba Transport Board on February 27, 2018, Kasper Transportation announced that it will cease operating the Selkirk to Winnipeg Commuter Run. Please see the Kasper website at:

https://gokasper.com/2018/02/28/notice-cancellation-commuter-services-selkirk/

• Sad 1
  • 5 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:36 PM, ShermanOaks said:

In a letter to it's customers and the (now defunct) Manitoba Transport Board on February 27, 2018, Kasper Transportation announced that it will cease operating the Selkirk to Winnipeg Commuter Run. Please see the Kasper website at:

https://gokasper.com/2018/02/28/notice-cancellation-commuter-services-selkirk/

They never did cease it ...still operating. And they have also announced that they will in the next week or so start operating Thunder Bay to White River connecting with Ontario Northland.So that will give connectivity all the way from Toronto/Ottawa and east to Winnipeg.

• 10 months later...

Kasper announced via their Facebook page that they have picked up two buses. The buses in question are the two 2012 Stallion Sunliner SLC830 that originally belonged to Saskatchewan Transportation Company. They retain their STC numbers 900 and 901 as well. I believe they will be used primarily for the Thunder Bay-White River line run.

On 7/18/2019 at 12:15 AM, Chris W said:

Kasper announced via their Facebook page that they have picked up two buses. The buses in question are the two 2012 Stallion Sunliner SLC830 that originally belonged to Saskatchewan Transportation Company. They retain their STC numbers 900 and 901 as well. I believe they will be used primarily for the Thunder Bay-White River line run.

Interesting wondered when the ex STC buses would start re appearing. I know Mountain Man Mikes of Kaslo bc picked up a 24 seat bus ex STC to operate their new intercity scheduled service in the Kootenays to Vancouver from auction in Regina.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Kasper has announced effective Feb 1 they will operate all their Winnipeg schedules from 936 Sherbrooke St and share it with Maple Bus Lines. It would be good if we could see this as a Winnipeg Hub for future buses going West also.

On 1/31/2020 at 11:38 PM, roeco said:

Kasper has announced effective Feb 1 they will operate all their Winnipeg schedules from 936 Sherbrooke St and share it with Maple Bus Lines. It would be good if we could see this as a Winnipeg Hub for future buses going West also.

That's an interesting development. I think that means Winnipeg is down to two intercity bus terminals... The airport for Brandin Dauphin Air Shuttle, NCN Thompson Bus, and Highway 6 Express; and 936 Sherbrook for Maple Bus Lines,  Mahihkan, and now Kasper. If Rider Express (or someone else) ever opens a route to Winnipeg from Saskatchewan I hope they chose an existing Winnipeg terminal. (Rider previously announced the "Flying J" in Headingley, MB, as their "Winnipeg" terminal even though it's not in Winnipeg but as far as I know they never started running to Manitoba.)

17 hours ago, DavidW said:

That's an interesting development. I think that means Winnipeg is down to two intercity bus terminals... The airport for Brandin Dauphin Air Shuttle, NCN Thompson Bus, and Highway 6 Express; and 936 Sherbrook for Maple Bus Lines,  Mahihkan, and now Kasper. If Rider Express (or someone else) ever opens a route to Winnipeg from Saskatchewan I hope they chose an existing Winnipeg terminal. (Rider previously announced the "Flying J" in Headingley, MB, as their "Winnipeg" terminal even though it's not in Winnipeg but as far as I know they never started running to Manitoba.)

Mahikan Moved to the Airport at end Oct I believe it was. And Rider Express you will soon see them announcing a Calgary to Regina route. And last I heard Maple was looking at doing a Winnipeg to Brandon service also.

• 2 weeks later...

I bet it does. I'm not sure why ONTC decided to go well outside its Northeastern Ontario service region by running a bus to Thunder Bay, but I suspect it will benefit some passengers who wouldn't want a long layover in White River. (The timings don't quite match up.)

Still, I wonder why Kasper decided to go ahead anyway with the Guelph-Owen Sound route after Voyago got the contract. 

On 2/19/2020 at 1:29 PM, UrbanToronto said:

I bet it does. I'm not sure why ONTC decided to go well outside its Northeastern Ontario service region by running a bus to Thunder Bay, but I suspect it will benefit some passengers who wouldn't want a long layover in White River. (The timings don't quite match up.)

Still, I wonder why Kasper decided to go ahead anyway with the Guelph-Owen Sound route after Voyago got the contract. 

Its possible if Kasper had decided to do a seemless connection to match up in White River you may not see ONT expanding as it is.But maybe going forward we will see Kasper feed into ONT vs the service it currently provides. Like I assume ONT will drop the Hearst to White River portion of their service and maybe kasper could expand from Longlac to hearst?? 

59 minutes ago, roeco said:

Its possible if Kasper had decided to do a seemless connection to match up in White River you may not see ONT expanding as it is.But maybe going forward we will see Kasper feed into ONT vs the service it currently provides. Like I assume ONT will drop the Hearst to White River portion of their service and maybe kasper could expand from Longlac to hearst?? 

Kasper is a private company; Ontario Northland is a crown corporation. Not sure why you think they will work together, especially if Kasper is pissed off that ONT is encroaching into their territory (of which they currently have a monopoly).

I have no idea why you are promoting dropping the Hearst-White River portion of the route. The buses currently overnight there, and connections are available to points east along Highway 11, allowing residents to more directly access services in Sault Ste. Marie rather than riding all the way around to Timmins, North Bay, or Sudbury. With the current setup of the ONT schedules, you cannot run a coach directly from Thunder Bay to Sault Ste. Marie, as buses continue north to Hearst and east to North Bay. Drivers would exceed hours on a trip like you are proposing.

The smart idea, as you mentioned in the Ontario Northland topic, would be for Ontario Northland to offer an early morning eastbound trip from Thunder Bay to White River, connecting with the southbound bus from Hearst to Sault Ste Marie. This allows Kasper to still run its service connecting to the northbound bus from Sault Ste Marie to Hearst, and allows the corridor to have 2 daily trips at different times, more similar to the old Greyhound schedule.

Kasper has their base of operations out of Thunder Bay and Winnipeg, and all of the routes are set up and timed so the driver returns to their original base of operations at the end of the day. They do not want to go through the process of establishing an outpost in another city such as Hearst, and the cost/effort of setting up overnight accommodations for drivers. I do not think we will see Kasper operate any route between Thunder Bay and Hearst for that reason. Once Ontario Northland establishes a base in Thunder Bay, it is more possible for them to run that kind of a service instead, as they already have facilities in Hearst - only if demand warrants it, of course. Hearst and points east already have a connection to services in Sault Ste Marie, so there is limited demand to need to go to Thunder Bay, and there is zero development between Longlac and Hearst to serve additional riders. Hearst residents can also access Thunder Bay by connecting in White River, so a direct trip is not required.

On 2/20/2020 at 8:55 PM, Articulated said:

Kasper is a private company; Ontario Northland is a crown corporation. Not sure why you think they will work together, especially if Kasper is pissed off that ONT is encroaching into their territory (of which they currently have a monopoly).

I have no idea why you are promoting dropping the Hearst-White River portion of the route. The buses currently overnight there, and connections are available to points east along Highway 11, allowing residents to more directly access services in Sault Ste. Marie rather than riding all the way around to Timmins, North Bay, or Sudbury. With the current setup of the ONT schedules, you cannot run a coach directly from Thunder Bay to Sault Ste. Marie, as buses continue north to Hearst and east to North Bay. Drivers would exceed hours on a trip like you are proposing.

The smart idea, as you mentioned in the Ontario Northland topic, would be for Ontario Northland to offer an early morning eastbound trip from Thunder Bay to White River, connecting with the southbound bus from Hearst to Sault Ste Marie. This allows Kasper to still run its service connecting to the northbound bus from Sault Ste Marie to Hearst, and allows the corridor to have 2 daily trips at different times, more similar to the old Greyhound schedule.

Kasper has their base of operations out of Thunder Bay and Winnipeg, and all of the routes are set up and timed so the driver returns to their original base of operations at the end of the day. They do not want to go through the process of establishing an outpost in another city such as Hearst, and the cost/effort of setting up overnight accommodations for drivers. I do not think we will see Kasper operate any route between Thunder Bay and Hearst for that reason. Once Ontario Northland establishes a base in Thunder Bay, it is more possible for them to run that kind of a service instead, as they already have facilities in Hearst - only if demand warrants it, of course. Hearst and points east already have a connection to services in Sault Ste Marie, so there is limited demand to need to go to Thunder Bay, and there is zero development between Longlac and Hearst to serve additional riders. Hearst residents can also access Thunder Bay by connecting in White River, so a direct trip is not required.

Well c how it plays out...2020 will be interesting not only in Northern Ontario but across Canada for the intercity bus industry

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2019 at 5:20 PM, bus is coming 1965 said:

Idk where to put this but Kasper bus now has a ex Brandon Transit Eldorado I'll find out what number it is

It was number 11 and it has since been spotted at City View Bus Sales in Mississauga, with the Kasper logos still on it. I'm guessing he sold it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 11:07 AM, roeco said:

Kasper has announced they will Suspend All Operations May 2. They say its due to covid 19, but why didn't they do that a month or so ago, think their kinda late out of the gate.

Lots of rumours circulating that Kasper's shutdown wasn't entirely Kasper's decision. It is alleged that creditors acted to seize assets. Hopefully an accurate story will come out eventually...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, DavidW said:

Lots of rumours circulating that Kasper's shutdown wasn't entirely Kasper's decision. It is alleged that creditors acted to seize assets. Hopefully an accurate story will come out eventually...

Should be interesting how it plays out.