LRT

5 hours ago, LRT said:

I guess this would be a good place to post your scout sightings. She's all done up and she looks great! Expect some kind of a news release or something...

Scout was highlighted at Supertrain at the Calgary Transit booth. Several Photos and videos of scout in action as well as detailed information posters as to what scot does were featured.

12 minutes ago, Gsgeek540 said:

Scout was highlighted at Supertrain at the Calgary Transit booth. Several Photos and videos of scout in action as well as detailed information posters as to what scot does were featured.

Yep, I posted photos of the posters here: 

40 minutes ago, Nick B said:

Heading all the way to Somerset?

Unfortunately I didn't know where it was going but I just found out that it's on its way to saddletowne probably there by now

Well since its public now here's a pic of The Scout

20170618_042543.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Will the Scout ever be outfitted with an on-board generator or battery packs to be able to travel through de-energized sections of track?  For example, to inspect new builds (extensions to the two existing lines) and repaired sections prior to being turned on?

As well, any guess whether Scout will be able to inspect the future Green Line?  (I have my doubts for this - there will be different clearance diagrams for that line, and to the best of my knowledge, would require trucking the car from one line to the other owing to no physical connections...)

Jon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon Calon said:

Will the Scout ever be outfitted with an on-board generator or battery packs to be able to travel through de-energized sections of track?  For example, to inspect new builds (extensions to the two existing lines) and repaired sections prior to being turned on?

As well, any guess whether Scout will be able to inspect the future Green Line?  (I have my doubts for this - there will be different clearance diagrams for that line, and to the best of my knowledge, would require trucking the car from one line to the other owing to no physical connections...)

Jon

I don't think so. 

9 hours ago, Jon Calon said:

Jon

They can couple it to a high rail truck to move it through de-energized sections.

13 hours ago, thager said:

They can couple it to a high rail truck to move it through de-energized sections.

Sure it can be moved, but will it still have enough juice running the instruments?  I'll admit, the instrumentation probably doesn't require near the power required as the traction motors but that's still a lot of electronics.

Jon

With the amount of new hardware and software that thing's running it would probably go dead in 10 minutes.

I know for a fact that a SD160s batteries would die in about that time without overhead power then the brakes would kick in.?

10 hours ago, LRT said:

The Scout is also designed to operate at track speeds to simulate revenue operations.

IIRC, the U2-AC's had a higher top speed than the rest of the fleet.  Is that correct?  And since it's not coupled to any other equipment not able to handle higher speeds (at least without causing damage to traction motors...), is it able to actually achieve those speeds on straight track?

Jon

36 minutes ago, Jon Calon said:

IIRC, the U2-AC's had a higher top speed than the rest of the fleet.  Is that correct?  And since it's not coupled to any other equipment not able to handle higher speeds (at least without causing damage to traction motors...), is it able to actually achieve those speeds on straight track?

Jon

The AC U2s had speedometers that went up to 100 KPH but limited to 80kph.

I do know that they used to have more power than the rest of the U2 Fleet but later dummy down to work with the SD 160s

39 minutes ago, Jon Calon said:

Jon

The speedometers go up to 100km/h, as opposed to 80km/h on the rest of the U2 fleet, but the overspeed was still set at 80km/h.  I used to drive 101 & 102 as a deuce on weekends back in the day - they had good zip, but very uncomfortable to drive.  And they were the last ones in the fleet to have tape decks for announcements;

Edited by CTrainDude
Not fast enough!! :)