Saskatoon and Regina

MaT

Is it true that they both have about/over 100 buses? And 16-18 routes? That's incredible for the populations.

Yes they have about 100 buses each or there abouts. It's not really incredible... Regina has about 200 000 people with 100 buses... Edmonton area is 1 000 000 with 800 buses or so... It's seems comparible.

Oh ok. I thought that Regina had like 100,000 people. Ok, still good non the less! I was having trouble finding rosters for both of the transit systems online, is there any links you can give me for them. Or just list how many buses each has of each type(ie.40 D40LFs, 50 Classics...) Thanks again.

Oh ok. I thought that Regina had like 100,000 people. Ok, still good non the less! I was having trouble finding rosters for both of the transit systems online, is there any links you can give me for them. Or just list how many buses each has of each type(ie.40 D40LFs, 50 Classics...) Thanks again.

I have been working on a couple of all time rosters for both Regina and Saskatoon. I will post them on my website when they are done and also post about the update in the Website Notices Thread of this group.

Both cities had trolley buses, Regina 1947-1966 and Saskatoon 1948-1974. See Tom's North American Trolley Bus Pictures for current and past TB systems, including Regina and Saskatoon. Note the unique front lighting on Saskatoon's: 4 amber Michigan-style marker lights over the front sign instead of the usual 3, but no reds over the rear window.

• 2 years later...
Just received the latest copy of the Bulletin today and read that 5 Jimmies from Red Deer have been purchased (details below), also, 4 new LFS for late 2009, the Big Blue Bus in Timmins, a pair of LFS from a reduced GRT order and an old 1954 GMC TDH-4801

Seems 700 (Thomas Dennis Dart) is back in service as well as 2 former Moose Jaw Orion V's and a D40

A TDH-4801!!! Obviously originally from California, but where did they find that one now? Is it 8705 that used to be owned by a guy near Edmonton???

So Regina is going to run an old look in service?

I believe it was acquired as a historic vehicle. Regina Transit will be celebrating their 100th anniversary in 2012 and I am sure the old look will be featured prominently in the festivities.

Regina originally had intentions of restoring a Can Car Brill trolley for 2012 (there are two currently parked on the property) but I believe that they have decided that the one in the best condition is too far gone. I am pretty sure that the Can Cars were included in the trade for the 4801 so I imagine that they will be disappearing soon off RT property.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

Happened to be watching CTV Regina tonight and they had a story on the 5 new buses from Red Deer. Supposedly they've been completely overhauled and were bought for $1500 each. The person they were interviewing (the city's transit manager I believe) said they didn't want to be the used bus only transit system, but for where the city stands (budget-wise I'd assume) they have to be. Couldn't get too good a look at the buses on the story, they were inside a fairly dimly lit warehouse but looked to be not in any specific livery, mostly white and one had a brownish or red stripe. They did show one interior shot, looks like pretty new seating (the blue and random colors thats been fairly common in recent years)

Happened to be watching CTV Regina tonight and they had a story on the 5 new buses from Red Deer. Supposedly they've been completely overhauled and were bought for $1500 each. The person they were interviewing (the city's transit manager I believe) said they didn't want to be the used bus only transit system, but for where the city stands (budget-wise I'd assume) they have to be. Couldn't get too good a look at the buses on the story, they were inside a fairly dimly lit warehouse but looked to be not in any specific livery, mostly white and one had a brownish or red stripe. They did show one interior shot, looks like pretty new seating (the blue and random colors thats been fairly common in recent years)

Thanks for letting us know of the news report! I watched the late version, which was very brief - no interview but the bus shown was ex-RDT 515, a 1977 T6H-5307N. The last of the five (511) left Red Deer yesterday.

That transit manager would have to be David Onodera.

• 5 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How about high-speed rail in Canada?

Some Benefits

• Employment. Way more than pipeline. Ongoing, not just construction
  • National morale and pride
  • International attention and international leadership. Canadian notoriety
  • Plan for non-fossil transportation
  • Long term employment for electrical, controls, engineering, science, design, services, advertising, marketing, transportation, trade…

Rough Plan

• High-speed rail right across Canada
  • Huge national project
  • Some combination of public and private funding
  • Built originally fossil powered with a designed-in intention of switching to renewable.
  • Designed to be twinned with wind, solar, hydro, geo-thermal generation

How about high-speed rail in Canada?

Some Benefits

• Employment. Way more than pipeline. Ongoing, not just construction
  • National morale and pride
  • International attention and international leadership. Canadian notoriety
  • Plan for non-fossil transportation
  • Long term employment for electrical, controls, engineering, science, design, services, advertising, marketing, transportation, trade…

Rough Plan

• High-speed rail right across Canada
  • Huge national project
  • Some combination of public and private funding
  • Built originally fossil powered with a designed-in intention of switching to renewable.
  • Designed to be twinned with wind, solar, hydro, geo-thermal generation

Probably not the best place to put this, but I would support such a proposal. Especially with China wishing to connect their network with Europe and North America within the next decade and not to mention the benefits you've provided.

Maybe in the Rail section?

--- Returning to topic ---

There are still some questions I have regarding the ex. TransLink D40LFs. 965 and another unit are unaccounted for, in the Saskatoon fleet 9516 is the only unit which remains unidentified. Is it possible to have someone identify it with a VIN number?

• 5 years later...

Whoever might be updating All-time Rosters for Saskatoon and Regina, please be sure to include full details of the Telebus fleets in both cities, as well as information about any Flxibles (which would appear to have been of Twin Coach old look design) that were noted in the fleet circa 1965, possibly numbered 313-319 (a gap noted in the fleet listing for GM Fishbowls)