Bruce Peninsula Transit

WMATAC40LF

Here's an odd one. The Bruce Peninsula now has a privately operated transit system based out of Wiarton, Ontario (that's about 20 Min NW of Owen Sound). They currently have one route, and they are using an ex Hamilton bus (apparently its a full sized transit bus!). A smaller cutaway will soon run another route to the popular Sauble Beach as well. They are also planning a connection to the Chi Cheemaun ferry stop at Tobermory. 

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/2017/06/08/transit-bus-service-on-bruce-peninsula 

Their fleet information describes them as having a 38 passenger transit bus, and its supposedly ex HSR. Anyone know what that might be... D40LF?

https://brucepeninsulatransit.com/other-services/ 

Given that I spend a lot of my summer up on the Bruce, I will be on the lookout for this new operation, and hope to report more soon.  

• Like 1

So I was driving up Highway 6 today, and between Owen Sound and the town of Shallow Lake, I saw the D40LF doing its route. The picture quality isn't that great but then again I was going very fast, plus there was lots of dirt from dead bugs on the windscreen. But yes, it is ex HSR 0516. I'm assuming that they either bought it in a public auction, or from a dealer (there was one outside Hamilton I saw a week ago which had 4 or 5 ex HSR D40LFs lying around).

Bruce Peninsula Transit D40LF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WMATAC40LF said:

So I was driving up Highway 6 today, and between Owen Sound and the town of Shallow Lake, I saw the D40LF doing its route. The picture quality isn't that great but then again I was going very fast, plus there was lots of dirt from dead bugs on the windscreen. But yes, it is ex HSR 0516. I'm assuming that they either bought it in a public auction, or from a dealer (there was one outside Hamilton I saw a week ago which had 4 or 5 ex HSR D40LFs lying around).

They bought it from a public auction on Highway 6 near Morriston. 0516 was actually one of the ones in the best condition.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bravo Actual said:

Interesting. I'm a bit of a newbie in regards to buses, but wouldn't that bus be not really the best option per say for a longer route like that? Wouldn't some kind of suburban seating be better?

I think you may be right. The main positives about buying this D40LF is that it is wheelchair accessible and they probably didn't pay much for it. But other than that it probably isn't the best for a mostly rural operation with high speed 2 lane roads. Now I'm not complaining as I spend 3 months a year up in the Bruce, and before this operation started, the nearest non-cutaway transit buses were in Collingwood, which is a bit of a drive for me.

18 hours ago, WMATAC40LF said:

I think you may be right. The main positives about buying this D40LF is that it is wheelchair accessible and they probably didn't pay much for it. But other than that it probably isn't the best for a mostly rural operation with high speed 2 lane roads. Now I'm not complaining as I spend 3 months a year up in the Bruce, and before this operation started, the nearest non-cutaway transit buses were in Collingwood, which is a bit of a drive for me.

I guess we will have to wait and see what ridership turns out to be. The flip side of having a full size bus is that people may be more inclined to use the service.

• 4 weeks later...

Today, myself and Chris W paid a visit to Wiarton. The ex-HSR D40LF 0516 is of course the main bus that runs between Wiarton and Owen Sound. Another ex-HSR D40LF (possibly 0517, but not confirmed yet) had recently been acquired and passed safety inspection today. A Ford cutaway is used for the Sauble Beach runs.

IMG_5054.thumb.JPG.2290195065aba35383417b55c659379b.JPG

• Like 5

On 7/15/2017 at 1:52 AM, 97SCT said:

Today, myself and Chris W paid a visit to Wiarton. The ex-HSR D40LF 0516 is of course the main bus that runs between Wiarton and Owen Sound. Another ex-HSR D40LF (possibly 0517, but not confirmed yet) had recently been acquired and passed safety inspection today. A Ford cutaway is used for the Sauble Beach runs.

IMG_5054.thumb.JPG.2290195065aba35383417b55c659379b.JPG

Very interesting. You think they want you to know its wheelchair acessable or something? 

What was the interior like? Any custom changes they have done or plan to do?

4 hours ago, Bravo Actual said:

Very interesting. You think they want you to know its wheelchair acessable or something? 

What was the interior like? Any custom changes they have done or plan to do?

Well HSR, the previous owner, painted that wheelchair stuff onto some of their D40LFs. 

I have not been inside this D40LF yet, but I don't believe they've made any significant changes to the interior yet (at least that's based on how many seats their website says it has).

Also on a side note, I believe I saw the second D40LF today, but couldn't catch the number because of the rain.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
6 hours ago, Cimon8000 said:

what? they are selling their whole fleet?  So the system is done?

I haven't seen any official confirmation that the service is ending, but they did say on their Facebook that the D40LFs were going into storage for the winter. And yes both of them are now up for sale from what I've heard. 

I never thought that this type of service could justify the use of full size transit buses, so I'm not surprised they are ditching them. Cutaways are much more economical to run. I'm just lucky I got pics of the D40LFs when I did.

1 minute ago, WMATAC40LF said:

I haven't seen any official confirmation that the service is ending, but they did say on their Facebook that the D40LFs were going into storage for the winter. And yes both of them are now up for sale from what I've heard. 

I never thought that this type of service could justify the use of full size transit buses, so I'm not surprised they are ditching them. Cutaways are much more economical to run. I'm just lucky I got pics of the D40LFs when I did.

same here, lucky to make a trip up there to photo them last Fall..............

13 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

Spotted the fleet for sale on kijiji a few months ago.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-trucks/owen-sound/transit-bus/1332920513?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

the ad. is still on, 0516 is up for sale, not sure if they are selling the whole fleet or just this bus, not sure if the bus service is still up or gone............

On 05/03/2018 at 8:14 AM, Cimon8000 said:

what? they are selling their whole fleet?  So the system is done?

The notice of service discontinuation on their website has a last-edited date of 01 November 2017. Perhaps that is when they ended scheduled service. 

• 1 month later...

Bruce Peninsula Transit on the road again

By Zoe Kessler, Wiarton Echo

Friday, April 20, 2018 3:37:29 EDT PM

WIARTON - Bruce Peninsula Transit (BPT) is on the road again, with its spring schedule up and running as of April 19.

The schedule is posted at BPT's website and includes stops in Wiarton, Cape Croker, Hepworth, Shallow Lake, Georgian Bluffs and Owen Sound. ...

• Like 1