The VIVA Rapidway in York, Ontario extensively uses red concrete on their BRT system, and I've seen it in queue jumps and bus lanes in Vancouver. Like Cycling Green, it might be a good visual reminder to separate transit space from car and pedestrian space. 

Which makes me wonder if 7th Ave shouldn't use some sort of colour to try and prevent people from driving on it. 

4 hours ago, DarkKeyo said:

The VIVA Rapidway in York, Ontario extensively uses red concrete on their BRT system, and I've seen it in queue jumps and bus lanes in Vancouver. Like Cycling Green, it might be a good visual reminder to separate transit space from car and pedestrian space. 

Which makes me wonder if 7th Ave shouldn't use some sort of colour to try and prevent people from driving on it. 

They'll still drive on it. People don't actually learn the rules of the road

On 5/23/2018 at 3:36 PM, Blake M said:

They'll still drive on it. People don't actually learn the rules of the road

This isn't a bad idea though. It won't stop everyone - nothing short of elevating the entire corridor will do that - but the cost/benefit ratio could work out favorably. Combine it with some well-placed rumble strips and you might save an accident or two per year at least.

• Haha 1

Looks like there are queue jumps now being installed at Heritage Dr / Blackfoot Tr SE in both directions, along with an extra lane extending quite a ways back. EB BRT station at Deerfoot Meadows looked to be going in near the northwest corner of the Superstore.

On 5/23/2018 at 10:49 AM, DarkKeyo said:

Funny you mention that - the new crossing at 6 Ave SW seems to have used a similar red concrete as the bus queue jump at NB 36 St / 16 Av NE.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 1604 said:

The new BRT routes are going to be called MAX.

Sounds awfully familiar to me...

1 hour ago, 1604 said:

So is there still going to be route numbers? Are they still going to be called "BRT"?

Seems somewhat confusing when we've already got the existing 300 series BRT which isn't really much of a BRT. Now we have the new BRT which is closer to real BRT (although that is debatable given the crosstown's lack of dedicated lanes for much of their route).

43 minutes ago, Transit Fan said:
2 hours ago, 1604 said:

So is there still going to be route numbers? Are they still going to be called "BRT"?

Let's just hope they won't be named after colours.

max-simple-map.png

• Haha 1

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/meet-the-max-city-proposes-366000-rebranding-for-brt-buses

The report:

https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=56585

https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=56586

On 6/25/2018 at 4:54 PM, Transit Fan said:

So is there still going to be route numbers?

I'm not sure how they will differentiate the routes, sorry.

• Thanks 1

Vancouver's branding of "99 B-line" (and all brt routes being orange, and thinner lines on the map) is something I find clear and easy to understand. I'm not sure about "301 MAX" or ### MAX, but some sort of branding would be useful, especially to draw ridership, so that they can financially support a better frequency than every 25 min. They shouldn't have made the current BRT colour red while there is a Red Line, though

Thanks for posting those reports, 1604!

Option 2 is the recommended option and I think its the one that makes the most sense too. It targets existing riders but also gets word out to those in affected neighborhoods that may or may not currently use transit. Basically a big heads up to all the areas that will be affected by the bus network overhaul.

Option 3 is kind of overkill. I doubt anyone not in the affected areas will care that much so a large scale city-wide campaign seems like a waste, especially when one of the three services launching this year will likely only be running at 25 minute frequencies during peak hours.

• Like 1

Option 2 makes the most sense to me too.

Intriguing quote from Nenshi in this Global article:

“But as long as committee approves it, they’ll be called ‘MAX.’ And there’s another exciting second part to that, which you’ll find out about soon-ish.”

• Like 1

I'm more intrigued by the following:

The promotional campaign will include awareness for transit riders and people who live near the express bus routes and painting of the vehicles to distinguish them from the regular Calgary Transit buses.

Does that mean there's going to be a set of buses with some kind of new MAX livery or just some temporary paint scheme to promote the service in general.

As much as i'd love the former to be true, i'm not sure how well that would turn out. It's weird enough that the "Airport" buses tend to find themselves on random feeder routes.

Imagine waiting for the SE or NX and a MAX colored 1 or 19 comes rolling by instead. 😆

46 minutes ago, School Bus 101 said:

Not sure what the source of these documents is, but someone posted these screenshots on Twitter

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Ah so it's gonna look real funny when there are 7900's on the 1 running down the 17 Avenue busway

1. Does this mean we're actually foregoing route numbers in favour of colours? How would that even be displayed on the destination signs? MAX Purple (or MP) - 17 Ave SE BRT?

2. It's also still not clear if those bus wraps will be used exclusively on buses on the respective BRT routes of if it's just there for promoting the routes in general and may show up on any route. Mentioned this before but the logistics of keeping a set of buses specifically for each route is going to be messy if the airport buses are anything to go by.

3. It's kinda sad seeing some of the existing BRT's being omitted from the map. I would argue that 301 is a better service than the North and South Crosstown. Sure it doesn't have the fancy new "stations" but the service hours and frequency is better than every one of the MAX routes including 17 Ave SE.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Transit Fan said:

1. Does this mean we're actually foregoing route numbers in favour of colours? How would that even be displayed on the destination signs? MAX Purple (or MP) - 17 Ave SE BRT?

2. It's also still not clear if those bus wraps will be used exclusively on buses on the respective BRT routes of if it's just there for promoting the routes in general and may show up on any route. Mentioned this before but the logistics of keeping a set of buses specifically for each route is going to be messy if the airport buses are anything to go by.

3. It's kinda sad seeing some of the existing BRT's being omitted from the map. I would argue that 301 is a better service than the North and South Crosstown. Sure it doesn't have the fancy new "stations" but the service hours and frequency is better than every one of the MAX routes including 17 Ave SE.

I wonder if the switch to colours will lead to the routes being treated more like the LRT, in which case the destination signs would display 'MAX Purple - East Hills' in the same way C-Trains show 'Red Line - Somerset'. 

I also think that the map needs the existing BRT, even if the current BRT routes aren't getting the MAX special stops. The 301 in particular is busy enough to be replaced by the Green Line, except that most of it won't be replaced by Phase 1 of the Green line. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Transit Fan said:

That would bring it in line with York Region Transit's Viva BRT routes that have color names - Orange, Purple, Blue, Green, Yellow after the Viva name. They have 600-series route numbers, though those are not shown on the YRT web site.

One of the images from this Global News page seems to indicate that the destination signs would likely display "MAX ORANGE/TEAL/PURPLE".

The image also mentions the inclusion of a card that would be changed daily on the lower bottom corner of the windshield. Not sure why we would need that...

5 hours ago, Transit Fan said:

The image mentions that there's just one bus of each colour for awareness campaign - there's no plan to create a sub-fleet.  It drastically reduces fleet flexibility.

11 hours ago, CTrainDude said:

The image mentions that there's just one bus of each colour for awareness campaign - there's no plan to create a sub-fleet.  It drastically reduces fleet flexibility.

From an advertising perspective, I'm not entirely sure I see the value in having just a single bus wrapped in each of the three colours.

Perhaps it'd work if they selectively assign the buses to the right routes (Orange on the 19, Purple on the 1/305, Teal on the 306). Or perhaps they could park the buses at some of the major stations or destinations (Brentwood, Saddletowne, Foothills, Westbrook, East Hills, Heritage, etc.) prior to the launch of the service and provide information sessions. Thinking along the lines of what they had for the RouteAhead bus a few years back.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:43 PM, Transit Fan said:

One of the images from this Global News page seems to indicate that the destination signs would likely display "MAX ORANGE/TEAL/PURPLE".

I personally don't mind colours, but as long as they don't use the same naming convention as Portland ("MAX ... Line") it'll be fine. We don't want to confuse a McKnight Avenue bus route with a light rail route to Milwaukie.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

I personally don't mind colours, but as long as they don't use the same naming convention as Portland ("MAX ... Line") it'll be fine. We don't want to confuse a McKnight Avenue bus route with a light rail route to Milwaukie.

While I agree that the word "Line" would be somewhat unnecessary, I don't find it uncommon for different cities to share exact same nomenclature in their transit systems. You could say a similar thing about our existing "CTrain" being easy to confuse with the "C Train" of the NYC Subway!

• Like 1