I wonder what kind of maintenance work is being done that requires a full week of closures along the entire stretch of transitway.

I also wonder if trips could possibly end up being faster (outside of peak hours) from buses not using the transitway and avoiding all the dedicated signals and not having to wait for left turning traffic. I would think that it'd be a good opportunity for them to collect that kind of data if the maintenance is happening anyway to be able to compare the travel times between operating in the dedicated lanes versus the regular traffic lanes.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Transit Fan said:

I wonder what kind of maintenance work is being done that requires a full week of closures along the entire stretch of transitway.

I also wonder if trips could possibly end up being faster (outside of peak hours) from buses not using the transitway and avoiding all the dedicated signals and not having to wait for left turning traffic. I would think that it'd be a good opportunity for them to collect that kind of data if the maintenance is happening anyway to be able to compare the travel times between operating in the dedicated lanes versus the regular traffic lanes.

I’m hoping this closure is, in fact, to correct the traffic signals once and for all so buses in the transitway can trigger green lights at all the intersections. 😀🤞

• Like 1
8 hours ago, downbeat said:

I’m hoping this closure is, in fact, to correct the traffic signals once and for all so buses in the transitway can trigger green lights at all the intersections. 😀🤞

The optimistic part of me was thinking that too but it's likely nowhere near that exciting. If I had to guess, it's probably just asphalt and concrete rehabilitation or something along those lines.

Also, I might be mistaken but I thought that the existing setup already has like the sensors embedded into the concrete which is how the lights know when a bus is waiting, at least at the big intersections like 19th, 26th and 28th St. The issue always seemed to be more that they don't want to give higher priority, not that the lights don't know a bus is there.

On that note, looks like a Max Purple might've been involved in some incident last night. Not sure what happened here but that's one reason they're probably cautious of having really high priority for buses. I can only imagine there would increase in collisions if the lights were to just randomly toggle on people half-way through the light cycle. People manage to get hit by the LRT all the time despite the flashing lights, bells and arms so it's not exactly something they can easily "fix" either.

• Like 1

I got a look at the new bus stop (still under construction, I think) at eastbound 9 Ave. S.E. at Macleod Trail. With the yellow floor markings, it’s looking very much like it could be a MAX-style stop when it’s all done?

• Like 2

Was able to catch the Max Purple today going both inbound and outbound. Can confirm they're just redo-ing the asphalt in the area. Looks like they might've prioritized getting the transitway paved before reopening tomorrow because a lot of the travel lanes are still looking pretty rough.

Operating in the regular lanes wasn't any slower at all (although it wasn't particularly faster either), in both trips, bus was right on schedule. Going outbound, it felt super satisfying being able to just turn right onto EB 17th Ave from 19 St SE instead of sitting there up to 2 minutes.

• Like 3