14 hours ago, nsCEO said:

Also does anyone know if there will be an opening ceremony for the MAX yellow on Monday? 

Given that the start of the Calgary Transit Winter schedule begins one of the statistically lower ridership weeks of the year, it is fairly safe to say ceremonies, compared that of Max Purple will likely take place, if at all, in the new year when they can (hopefully) highlight the ridership successes.

With that being said, it is safe to say that critics will likely be out and about that week calling out the low ridership buses, likely citing the project as a waste of time and money. If anyone recalls, the group “Ready to Engage” filmed a number of empty buses servicing the Rockyview Hopsital, on what was believe to be Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day 2016. Luckily, City Council called out this flawed tactic of misleading them and the constituents they represent, threatening legal action, hence why the project proceeded with very little vocal opposition since.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gsgeek540 said:

With that being said, it is safe to say that critics will likely be out and about that week calling out the low ridership buses, likely citing the project as a waste of time and money. If anyone recalls, the group “Ready to Engage” filmed a number of empty buses servicing the Rockyview Hopsital, on what was believe to be Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day 2016. Luckily, City Council called out this flawed tactic of misleading them and the constituents they represent, threatening legal action, hence why the project proceeded with very little vocal opposition since.

Boy do I remember ready to engage. I was so mad when I saw that video originally. If you "study" the footage, you can see there are quite a few out of service buses in there that are conveniently too out of focus to see if you don't know what you're looking for. I think there was even an artic that was out of service to heading to start the #776. That video was so scummy. Next time they should try film the Max Teal in the mornings from Heritage when it is too full to stop and pick up passengers until after MRU.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

Boy do I remember ready to engage. I was so mad when I saw that video originally. If you "study" the footage, you can see there are quite a few out of service buses in there that are conveniently too out of focus to see if you don't know what you're looking for. I think there was even an artic that was out of service to heading to start the #776. That video was so scummy. Next time they should try film the Max Teal in the mornings from Heritage when it is too full to stop and pick up passengers until after MRU.

Knowing them they'll probably go out Christmas Day this year to show "how empty the transitway buses are"

MAX Yellow is alive! #6033 is the first bus out of Woodbine this morning as the 0535 trip.

D53FD233-5569-49C4-BAEA-45AFBCCDE5F4.jpeg

961DE459-2662-4193-9369-A427AA3F59B8.jpeg

E9B1333B-1755-4E21-8E97-70DC64698CA4.jpeg

• Like 5

Some notes from taking the first inbound run this morning from Woodpark terminus to Bow Valley Square. Travel time was 41 minutes in what was pretty much zero traffic.

-Fair amount of riders accumulated between the Woodpark terminus and Heritage Park, which was pleasing to see especially for the first run

-CAD stop announcements don’t seem to be working yet

-Clocks on the station displays are 2 hours fast

-Lengthy layover at the station in front of Shoppers on Southland

-Little bit of a wait at the Heritage Park traffic signal. Could become a potential issue

-Very long wait to turn left onto 14th at 75 Ave

-Bus was showing 5 minutes late on the tracker by the time we reached Glenmore/Crowchild

It’s got a few kinks but overall, nice route!

• Like 3

I'm going to guess that the schedule has a lot of slack time built in as they monitor things like ridership, signal timings and travel times. On the bright side, you won't run into terrible schedule adherence issues that were present in the previous MAX rollout. Although, the downside is that if you're waiting like 5 minutes at every timepoint, that also makes the route seem excessively slow.

Also, if the wait at Heritage is anything like the waits at 19 St SE on the MP transitway, I wouldn't be surprised at all. Between that and the turn at 75th Ave, perhaps that's why the Max Teal had a slight decrease in frequency? I get that they want to utilize the 75th Ave and Heritage Park stations but it definitely slows down the route compared to just using 14th St directly.

Nick and I had the pleasure of being the first passengers to step on the MY! It was great to see a strong start to ridership and the transitway is well done.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, yvarushin said:

Nick and I had the pleasure of being the first passengers to step on the MY! It was great to see a strong start to ridership and the transitway is well done.

When you say strong start what was the load on your bus like? Did you ride the entire route ?

1 hour ago, vicinity said:

When you say strong start what was the load on your bus like? Did you ride the entire route ?

We got on at the first stop (Woodpark Station) with 3 other people. Picked up about 10-15 more on the way. For the first trip I think that was pretty good! We rode it all the way to DT.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, yvarushin said:

Another member and I rode 8228 on its 7:01 trip south, picked up all the planners and schedulers too! Only issue was the bus driver forgot to enter the transitwayb😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

A few photos from today:

1.thumb.jpg.c8ff6858086641fffe6d38e3f307ac53.jpg

7962 laying over at Woodpark Station

6.thumb.jpg.97d1b79387f3572a42363fa2761a8bcf.jpg

90th Avenue Station

2.thumb.jpg.71a09547e2a5dbb8cf9fb09b3fd596bc.jpg

8228 entering the 90th Avenue underpass

3.thumb.jpg.0e7d28c06dd4963d9837de3236d95dae.jpg 5.thumb.jpg.839a37c9c77104048a1d5b2fc0a1f5bc.jpg

Heritage Park Station

• Like 6

New “Rapid Transit Network” map (including MAX Yellow) seen in the wild on the upper level at Southland CTrain station! 😀

E5C8F597-EFFD-451F-AC53-930FAE3D220A.jpeg

The map at platform level is the old version, however. 
Also noticed today the bus arrival signs are not working yet at Rockyview and Heritage Park MAX stations. They are functional at 90th Avenue Station but are showing the wrong information: SB times are being shown on the NB platform, and vice-versa. 

• Like 3

Couple shots of #8397 on the MAX Yellow’s SF key tonight.

290A23EF-3481-4AAB-B6B3-8098EF65A0E8.jpeg

CBC36E30-8DEE-4863-8D86-E5B4AA2995AA.jpeg

0D722FD5-32A8-481F-9CC9-C91BCC77AAFC.jpeg

Kinda wish the letters “MY” on the back were dark (negative space)... They’re just as hard to see against the yellow as they are to photograph.

• Like 6

It seems that the MAX yellow is early on a lot of its trips. I wonder if some timing adjustments will be made next signup. The bus stops a lot waiting for the schedule to catch up to it.

2 hours ago, yvarushin said:

It seems that the MAX yellow is early on a lot of its trips. I wonder if some timing adjustments will be made next signup. The bus stops a lot waiting for the schedule to catch up to it.

It's a pretty slow week for riders and traffic since lots of people are still off work - might be better to judge starting next week when school and work is back on.

• Like 1

It's possible for them to revise schedules prior to the next signup. However, it's not very common and i've really only seen it happen when buses are exceptionally late on a regular basis. Buses running super early and spending excessive time at timepoints isn't ideal but it's arguably better than being late all the time.

43 minutes ago, Transit Fan said:

It's possible for them to revise schedules prior to the next signup. However, it's not very common and i've really only seen it happen when buses are exceptionally late on a regular basis. Buses running super early and spending excessive time at timepoints isn't ideal but it's arguably better than being late all the time.

It theoretically is. However, CTrainDude is on the mark with their remarks. There are no vehicles on the road this week meaning there is no traffic and no one is taking transit in general this week meaning there is no ridership. I drove a 20 the other day and a trip from Heritage to 78 avenue that has a lot of extra time built in a result of rush hour traffic and schools resulted in my sitting for nearly 20-25 minutes at time points killing time, where normally we are barely on time. It is completely premature cast judgement until next week when the world back gets back to its regular routine.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gsgeek540 said:

It theoretically is. However, CTrainDude is on the mark with their remarks. There are no vehicles on the road this week meaning there is no traffic and no one is taking transit in general this week meaning there is no ridership. I drove a 20 the other day and a trip from Heritage to 78 avenue that has a lot of extra time built in a result of rush hour traffic and schools resulted in my sitting for nearly 20-25 minutes at time points killing time, where normally we are barely on time. It is completely premature cast judgement until next week when the world back gets back to its regular routine.

I shall report back next week then... for a more “accurate” observation.

Today’s observation (since DT is back to fully normal)

AM (6:43am trip from Woodview)

Layover at Southland Leisure 4 minutes

Layover at MRU 7 minutes

Lots of people on the bus which was nice to see (a few people standing). Multiple people complaining about the layover at MRU.

PM (17:30~ trip from Bow Valley Sq)

5 minutes layover at Southland Leisure Centre (driver commented on how early he arrived and tried pacing it but couldn’t).

We shall see with MRU kids back tomorrow and U of C back next week.

• Like 3

For what it's worth, MRU students are a sizable percentage of the expected ridership for the Max Yellow. It should be interesting to see how much busier it gets. A 7 minute mid-route layover does sound rough though, especially if someone had to endure the 4 minutes at Southland as well. The stretch along Crowchild/Glenmore is tricky. You gotta find the right balance of slack time based on the average amount of traffic. Once they get a general sense of ridership patterns and average waits at timepoints, we'll likely see appropriate tweaks in the next schedule.

Thanks for the updates though; it's nice having a regular user of the service sharing their thoughts!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know why the max yellow buses aren’t using the bypass road in lakeview to get on glenmore from Crowchild? I get when it isn’t busy but I’m literally sitting on the overpass with the other cars barely moving.

38 minutes ago, yvarushin said:

Does anyone know why the max yellow buses aren’t using the bypass road in lakeview to get on glenmore from Crowchild? I get when it isn’t busy but I’m literally sitting on the overpass with the other cars barely moving.

Good question. If i recall, they were given authorization/approval to start using last week.

Update - A commitment was made by council to residents of Lakeview that said road would only be used during predetermined and approved hours (likely peak hours)

Safe to say based on the time of your post that your observation was during said hours? 

50 minutes ago, Gsgeek540 said:

Good question. If i recall, they were given authorization/approval to start using last week.

Update - A commitment was made by council to residents of Lakeview that said road would only be used during predetermined and approved hours (likely peak hours)

Safe to say based on the time of your post that your observation was during said hours? 

Yeah it was at around 5PM that I was onboard. It didn't put too much of a damper on the commute - it just felt like the proper resources weren't being used. I'm still really happy with rest of MY!