Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Transit Fan said:

Our issue is more that we are not prioritizing bus traffic and instead have them wait for their next turn in a predefined light sequence. If you arrive at the intersection close to when your next turn will be, that's great. If you arrive even a second too late, you'll have to wait one full cycle before you get your turn.

Yes, this makes the bus wait at the intersections for what seems like forever. 

This delay happens so often, I just presumed the current system doesn’t work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they just treated the following turns like the were left-turn signals, there would be a minimal wait for buses as the lights wouldn't stay green:

EB Blackfoot Trail to SB 19 Street

NB 19 Street to EB Blackfoot Trail

EB 17 Avenue to SB 26 Street

*NB 26 Street to EB 17 Avenue is already a no turn on red and the light stays red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Blake M said:

If they just treated the following turns like the were left-turn signals, there would be a minimal wait for buses as the lights wouldn't stay green:

EB Blackfoot Trail to SB 19 Street

NB 19 Street to EB Blackfoot Trail

EB 17 Avenue to SB 26 Street

*NB 26 Street to EB 17 Avenue is already a no turn on red and the light stays red

I think the reason they haven't done this is that some of those turns are quite busy during peak hours. I remember last summer when the signals were first installed at 19th St. For about 2 weeks, the transit light was green the entire time that the east-west traffic light was green. Since that cycle is up up to 3 minutes long, NB 19th St was backed up (since no right turns on red were allowed) which led to EB 9th Ave being backed up as far as 12th St.

I get that they want to avoid something like that again (since it would negatively affect EB buses as well). But the current green time that they give to that movement is still a bit much.

The transit signal there currently gets the last 30 seconds of that 3 minute east-west cycle. You know you're in for a really long wait if you arrive at the intersection just as the EB/WB lights are about to turn red or if they just turned red.

My idea of adding in more light opportunities for buses would be something like giving the first 30 and last 30 seconds of the east-west cycle instead of just the last. You would end up shaving off that 2:00-2:30 min wait for the cycle to end. Of course, this would only happen if a bus was detected. During off-peak when there isn't a bus waiting, the transit light wouldn't need to have a green so regular traffic isn't forced to stop for nothing.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, green_line_26 said:

#8313 is still in MAX Purple wrap.

 

20190701_194412.jpg

8253 is also still in the MT wrap, saw it today.  Love it how 8253 has been out on the MAX Teal the past few days!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooh, an official detour that gets buses in and out of the 17th Avenue S.E. transitway away from one of its access points.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they've somehow made the transitway light timing worse at 26th and 28th St SE recently.

Those two intersections used to be in sync such that in both directions, after you cross the first intersection, stop at 26th St Station, then pull up to the second intersection, it's not too long of a wait. Lately, i've notice that going east, the wait for the 28th St light is much longer than before. Meanwhile, going westbound, the timing for the 26th St light seems to be a lot tighter. If more than 2-3 people need to be picked up or the driver is slow to pull up to the intersection, the bus is more likely to miss its turn. The exception is when there is an eastbound bus that has already triggered the signal, in that case, the westbound bus is able to sneak in with a few seconds to spare.

To be fair, the timing before wasn't exactly the best either and there's the occasional times currently where it seems to be faster. I'm just kind of shocked that almost a year since launch, they still can't get the timing right for these intersections. Crazy considering we're set to launch the second transitway in the city soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://globalnews.ca/news/5949618/calgary-max-purple-development-international-avenue

Via Global News, ridership along the MP route is doing well.

The 30 minute commute reduction claimed by the one student seems horribly exaggerated though. On a good day, trip times are shaved off by a few minutes at most. Any real time savings would likely come from the high frequency of staggering the 1 and Max.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Transit Fan said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5949618/calgary-max-purple-development-international-avenue

Via Global News, ridership along the MP route is doing well.

The 30 minute commute reduction claimed by the one student seems horribly exaggerated though. On a good day, trip times are shaved off by a few minutes at most. Any real time savings would likely come from the high frequency of staggering the 1 and Max.

I still wouldn't want to be caught in Forest Lawn overnight. Especially after being caught without transit in Castleridge... the McDonalds up there at 3/4am is almost on the level of barbaric. 

But ridership-wise? Definitely good news. Now, if only they would figure out the West end of Route 1, and speed things up significantly...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Transit Fan said:

The 30 minute commute reduction claimed by the one student seems horribly exaggerated though.

This is very situational but going home from SAIT where I live involved Red Line > Blue Line > Bus. A bad connection with those transfers could easily mean a 30 minute wait. If you live close to MAX Purple east of 52st, eliminating 1 transfer is significant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vicinity said:

The Max Purple averages 50 people per hour per key Monday to Friday between 06:00-19:00

Where did this number come from? For reference, I wonder how this compares to other MAX or similar routes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lucx said:

This is very situational but going home from SAIT where I live involved Red Line > Blue Line > Bus. A bad connection with those transfers could easily mean a 30 minute wait. If you live close to MAX Purple east of 52st, eliminating 1 transfer is significant.

Former job in Sunnyside, commute one: 406, red, blue (to Rundle), 32 to work.

Commute two: 406 to mcKenzie, 23 to Lester B. Pearson/Village Square, 48 to Rundle, 32 to work.

Google the results on Maps, you'd be surprised as to which one is faster. And in our cases, horrified :P Calgary Transit needs to work better on its transfers and frequencies. For example: instead of bunching together the 14 and 406, by actually staggering it out, they could have 15 minute service to Seton from 5am right until the end of service, or even lower waits during the day! But no, they decide to run it all out at the exact same time, and although its fun to see my 406 race the 14 to the hospital - it's not fun to have to wait 30 minutes for EITHER bus that could take me home from Somerset. CT needs to work on transfers and frequencies.

As for 1/MP though... 

3 hours ago, vicinity said:

The Max Purple averages 50 people per hour per key Monday to Friday between 06:00-19:00

I swore GSG mentioned 22 pph for breakeven and 23+ profitability, which is very good, but how about the 1 from Bowness to Forest Lawn, after PM rush hour? Because they're running 60 footers from Bowness at 9pm that are completely empty and barely get above half of that PPH needed to breakeven by the time they get Downtown... and if its really that bad for Bowness, either they should give Route 1 some 40-footers, or short-turn some buses at Downtown, to prevent any more 30 minute transfers/waits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, armorand said:

Now, if only they would figure out the West end of Route 1, and speed things up significantly...

Speeding things up might be tough, especially in rush hour and because there is not a transitway for the whole length of the route. 
Causes of delay observed yesterday while riding MAX Purple during the afternoon rush:

• Motor-vehicle collision on 9th Ave. x 12th St. in Inglewood blocking a lane and a bit

• No enforcement of EB Inglewood bus lane

• Long backup crossing Elbow River. (At one point, there were two Route 1’s, a Route 411 and a MAX Purple waiting close together.)

• Long wait to turn left from 1st St. to 9th Ave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2019 at 5:27 PM, armorand said:

Because they're running 60 footers from Bowness at 9pm that are completely empty and barely get above half of that PPH needed to breakeven by the time they get Downtown... and if its really that bad for Bowness, either they should give Route 1 some 40-footers, or short-turn some buses at Downtown, to prevent any more 30 minute transfers/waits. 

I've been thinking about this for a few days, wondering if there is a business case for running *any* 60-foot buses at night at all. It's not just the 1. Looking at the 3 and the 301 at night, I've also noticed light to medium patronage when I am commuting later in the day.

And as @Gsgeek540 noted in another thread just now, Transit might be doing something about this. This was a generally a comment on Transit's bus deployment plan for snow storms — but with a note at the end.

58 minutes ago, Gsgeek540 said:

[…] articulated buses are not to run after pm rush hour if 40 footers are available. A sneek peak to next signup, this wont be a problem...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, downbeat said:

And as @Gsgeek540 noted in another thread just now, Transit might be doing something about this. This was a generally a comment on Transit's bus deployment plan for snow storms — but with a note at the end.

 

Given operators start signing up today, i will divulge.

 

For reasons that are unknown at this point, all conventional buses after the PM rush hour starting next signup are 40 foot buses. Routes that normally have will have buses from other routes, such as a route 40 that goes shuttle after pm rush hour, become that route. I believe the last one goes out of service at around 19:30ish. Might be winter. I was one of the first operators to be signed on a late night Route 3 articulated bus key back in the winter of 2013. I knew how to drive them...unfortunately, there were a lot of days where i was one of the only articulated Route 3s that wasn't late or stuck during a storm at 10:00 at night.

On 9/26/2019 at 5:27 PM, armorand said:

Because they're running 60 footers from Bowness at 9pm that are completely empty and barely get above half of that PPH needed to breakeven by the time they get Downtown... and if its really that bad for Bowness, either they should give Route 1 some 40-footers, or short-turn some buses at Downtown, to prevent any more 30 minute transfers/waits. 

I don't know. I signed the Route 1 for a number of signups late night, with a 40 footer and an articulated bus. I was consistently standing load at 9pm on a 40 foot bus and nearly full seated load on an articulated going both directions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Gsgeek540 said:

I signed the Route 1 for a number of signups late night, with a 40 footer and an articulated bus. I was consistently standing load at 9pm on a 40 foot bus and nearly full seated load on an articulated going both directions.

Thanks for the info!

I’ve experienced all sorts of situations as a passenger … really busy one night, really quiet the next, without an obvious pattern to explain the wild swings in passenger loads.

I suppose with a bus every 12.5 minutes (average) where the 1 and Max Purple share a trunk, it’s not so bad. The west is another matter.

So I have mixed feelings about using only standard size buses on Route 1, clearly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe now we'll start to see better than 16 minute frequency during rush hour.

It's good to hear the MAX routes are gaining traction amongst rider at least. Purple's been bustling since the school year started as well. I've also heard Teal is often packed with students as well.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Global News on a roll these days (pun totally intended!!) with this progress update on the SW BRT:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5983492/southwest-calgary-bus-rapid-transit-brt/

And a previous report on how the 17th Avenue BRT has been fantastic for business and development:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5949618/calgary-max-purple-development-international-avenue/

Now just waiting for their story on MAX Teal! :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MO passups... where? Because I could see it at SAIT, without Route 19 service being any higher than 20-30 minutes... but other parts of the system? I don't really see much of it at Rundle. And only took it once all the way to Brentwood.

On 10/1/2019 at 5:12 PM, downbeat said:

This was just on TV …

https://globalnews.ca/news/5976814/calgary-transit-full-buses-max-orange/

Some transit customers say there aren't enough buses on MAX Orange. They are reporting what sounds like chronic passups. The transit spokesperson quoted here is careful with his response. 

 

On 10/2/2019 at 11:54 PM, downbeat said:

Global News on a roll these days (pun totally intended!!) with this progress update on the SW BRT:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5983492/southwest-calgary-bus-rapid-transit-brt/

I'm just curious, does Calgary Transit/City of Calgary reimburse business owners for lost business, during infrastructure projects? Or is it just survival of the fittest? I'm suspecting though, Notley raising minimal wage and the City raising taxes/licensing fees have gutted these smaller businesses... but since it got brought up in that news report, figured I'd ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, armorand said:

MO passups... where? Because I could see it at SAIT, without Route 19 service being any higher than 20-30 minutes... but other parts of the system? I don't really see much of it at Rundle. And only took it once all the way to Brentwood.

 

I'm just curious, does Calgary Transit/City of Calgary reimburse business owners for lost business, during infrastructure projects? Or is it just survival of the fittest? I'm suspecting though, Notley raising minimal wage and the City raising taxes/licensing fees have gutted these smaller businesses... but since it got brought up in that news report, figured I'd ask.

Buses going towards SAIT during AM peak are quite full

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, yvarushin said:

I'm really excited for MY. I know I'll be using it 5 days a week from Woodbine all the way to Downtown!

Awesome; looking forward to hear your impressions!

Are you within walking distance of the Woodbine station? Will be interesting to see if there's major time savings expected versus what your current commute would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...