I wonder what kind of maintenance work is being done that requires a full week of closures along the entire stretch of transitway.

I also wonder if trips could possibly end up being faster (outside of peak hours) from buses not using the transitway and avoiding all the dedicated signals and not having to wait for left turning traffic. I would think that it'd be a good opportunity for them to collect that kind of data if the maintenance is happening anyway to be able to compare the travel times between operating in the dedicated lanes versus the regular traffic lanes.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Transit Fan said:

I wonder what kind of maintenance work is being done that requires a full week of closures along the entire stretch of transitway.

I also wonder if trips could possibly end up being faster (outside of peak hours) from buses not using the transitway and avoiding all the dedicated signals and not having to wait for left turning traffic. I would think that it'd be a good opportunity for them to collect that kind of data if the maintenance is happening anyway to be able to compare the travel times between operating in the dedicated lanes versus the regular traffic lanes.

I’m hoping this closure is, in fact, to correct the traffic signals once and for all so buses in the transitway can trigger green lights at all the intersections. ??

• Like 1

8 hours ago, downbeat said:

I’m hoping this closure is, in fact, to correct the traffic signals once and for all so buses in the transitway can trigger green lights at all the intersections. ??

The optimistic part of me was thinking that too but it's likely nowhere near that exciting. If I had to guess, it's probably just asphalt and concrete rehabilitation or something along those lines.

Also, I might be mistaken but I thought that the existing setup already has like the sensors embedded into the concrete which is how the lights know when a bus is waiting, at least at the big intersections like 19th, 26th and 28th St. The issue always seemed to be more that they don't want to give higher priority, not that the lights don't know a bus is there.

On that note, looks like a Max Purple might've been involved in some incident last night. Not sure what happened here but that's one reason they're probably cautious of having really high priority for buses. I can only imagine there would increase in collisions if the lights were to just randomly toggle on people half-way through the light cycle. People manage to get hit by the LRT all the time despite the flashing lights, bells and arms so it's not exactly something they can easily "fix" either.

• Like 1

I got a look at the new bus stop (still under construction, I think) at eastbound 9 Ave. S.E. at Macleod Trail. With the yellow floor markings, it’s looking very much like it could be a MAX-style stop when it’s all done?

• Like 2

Was able to catch the Max Purple today going both inbound and outbound. Can confirm they're just redo-ing the asphalt in the area. Looks like they might've prioritized getting the transitway paved before reopening tomorrow because a lot of the travel lanes are still looking pretty rough.

Operating in the regular lanes wasn't any slower at all (although it wasn't particularly faster either), in both trips, bus was right on schedule. Going outbound, it felt super satisfying being able to just turn right onto EB 17th Ave from 19 St SE instead of sitting there up to 2 minutes.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

A connection for Calgarians to get to Chestermere

Kinda wish they included some examples of why anyone would want to arrive in Chestermere at 7am. 

At least Township24 Brewing is there, but they don't open till 1pm and that's on a Saturday (2pm on a Friday). What else is one to do?! Swim in the lake for the first half of the day, maybe...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TimmyC62 said:

Kinda wish they included some examples of why anyone would want to arrive in Chestermere at 7am. 

At least Township24 Brewing is there, but they don't open till 1pm and that's on a Saturday (2pm on a Friday). What else is one to do?! Swim in the lake for the first half of the day, maybe...

The service is designed for people commuting between Chestemere and Downtown Calgary, and is scheduled for that market.  The off peak direction trips (AM EB & PM WB) are basically bonus trips, since the bus will be heading that way anyway and may as well run in service.  Hence, they are timed around the operational needs of the commuter trips 

3 hours ago, TimmyC62 said:

There's a ton of businesses around Chestermere that are open all day including dental and medical offices. I'm sure there's also people that work in Chestermere who live in Calgary and might potentially find the service useful.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TimmyC62 said:

People said the same thing about traveling to Airdire when those trips started but those trips were very successful and sustainable prior to COVID, rather than just deadheading the bus back to Airdrie. It’s people from the northern edge of the city that often took the bus back to airdrie and then take it into calgary in the afternoon.

19 minutes ago, Nick B said:

There's a ton of businesses around Chestermere that are open all day including dental and medical offices. I'm sure there's also people that work in Chestermere who live in Calgary and might potentially find the service useful.

Ding!

• Like 3

The western end of the 17th Ave. S.E. transitway is closed tonight.

According to the Transit website, it's because "9 Avenue SE between 15 Street S.E. and 19 Street S.E. is closed for milling and paving work. The access to the SE Transitway to/from 9 Avenue S.E. will also be closed."

The 9th Ave/MacLeod Trail bus stop has a new sign put in place for the 131, while also keeping that temporary stop cone. Also note the notice sign saying the 110 doesnt stop there anymore, even though it hasnt served that stop in years as it was AM only since 2010/2011 or so.

92E2FA8C-F58D-43F2-834B-98F19461B175.jpeg

8604338B-BD5B-490F-9270-CEF6E4005F42.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, R. Meu said:

The 9th Ave/MacLeod Trail bus stop has a new sign put in place for the 131, while also keeping that temporary stop cone. Also note the notice sign saying the 110 doesnt stop there anymore, even though it hasnt served that stop in years as it was AM only since 2010/2011 or so.

Curious... between the 131 & 302, will there be any more MAX-level stop enhancements coming to the SE & their combined routing? For example, a real-time display board at Douglasdale Terminal would be nice. Or maybe some much better transfer points with better shelters, real-time & maybe even a place to sit? Such as the Ogden transfer point for example, between what will now be: two express services, the 43, and a bunch of industrial feeders. It has no real-time, no benches, and the shelter is way too small for the traffic & passengers that it sees. Even just lifting the bus loop shelters/benches right next door & plopping it down at the busier, active stop would be a considerable upgrade.

58 minutes ago, armorand said:

Curious... between the 131 & 302, will there be any more MAX-level stop enhancements coming to the SE & their combined routing? For example, a real-time display board at Douglasdale Terminal would be nice. Or maybe some much better transfer points with better shelters, real-time & maybe even a place to sit? Such as the Ogden transfer point for example, between what will now be: two express services, the 43, and a bunch of industrial feeders. It has no real-time, no benches, and the shelter is way too small for the traffic & passengers that it sees. Even just lifting the bus loop shelters/benches right next door & plopping it down at the busier, active stop would be a considerable upgrade.

Max upgrades have not been funded to date for the existing BRTs. I would speculate that a good part of the reason is with construction starting as early as this year, those upgrades are likely to be torn up.

A question about MAX Purple to Chestermere. This news article says:

Chestermere transit link fares are available through the My Fare app, online at calgarytransit.com/shop, or at a Safeway and Petro-Canada in Chestermere. There will be separate single-fare or day-pass prices for adults and youth, while children under five are free.

If I'm reading the info properly on Chestermere's website, there is no fare supplement to travel past city limits. Am I guessing correctly or have I missed something?

12 hours ago, downbeat said:

A question about MAX Purple to Chestermere. This news article says:

If I'm reading the info properly on Chestermere's website, there is no fare supplement to travel past city limits. Am I guessing correctly or have I missed something?

Chestermere kicked in a significant investment resulting in regular fare both directions.

• Thanks 1

Another partial 17th Avenue Transitway closure this weekend, this time to accommodate "red concrete replacement" according to the Transit website's service updates page. And there is also an additional night closure listed on that page for next week, due to paving on 9 Ave. S.E. at the Transitway entrance.

• 3 months later...

Flipping through Transit55 tonight and noticed MAX Orange service on the five day-long blocks (am/pm peaks and midday) is now all covered by articulated buses. Extras at peak hours and evening service are covered by standard-size buses.

Also different this signup: There's a Spring Garden bus on the route this evening. Previously, it was all Stoney vehicles on weekdays.

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

A recent positive change for MAX Orange seems to have occurred with little fanfare: the peak hour service frequency has dropped to as low as 5 or 6 minutes. And at one point in the afternoon peak, there are buses scheduled one minute apart going EB at SAIT. This is absolutely fantastic.

Very interesting that between the BRTs that launched in 2018 and 2019, MAX Orange has the least amount of special custom built BRT infrastructure yet is also the one currently offering the highest frequency at some points of the day. (And by that I mean no transitways or fancy stations.)  

* I do concede MAX Purple and Route 1 together do offer decent all-day service, all week long on 17 Ave SE.

I’ve seen some pretty full MAX Orange buses on holiday days and weekends … perhaps that can be next in the list of service increases? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, downbeat said:

A recent positive change for MAX Orange seems to have occurred with little fanfare: the peak hour service frequency has dropped to as low as 5 or 6 minutes. And at one point in the afternoon peak, there are buses scheduled one minute apart going EB at SAIT. This is absolutely fantastic.

Very interesting that between the BRTs that launched in 2018 and 2019, MAX Orange has the least amount of special custom built BRT infrastructure yet is also the one currently offering the highest frequency at some points of the day. (And by that I mean no transitways or fancy stations.)  

* I do concede MAX Purple and Route 1 together do offer decent all-day service, all week long on 17 Ave SE.

I’ve seen some pretty full MAX Orange buses on holiday days and weekends … perhaps that can be next in the list of service increases? 

Last sign up Max Orange saw a midday headway increase from 25 minutes midday to 21 minutes midday weekdays which brings it inline with the routes like 1,  8, 20 and other popular routes. 

I wouldn’t expect to see any further service increase on it until more peak service is restored through the system when more manpower becomes available. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, downbeat said:

there are buses scheduled one minute apart going EB at SAIT. 

I was on one departing Brentwood empty (I was the only one on board) at around 4-4:30 that passed another picking up students at the UoC stop (which did not depart from/pick up at Brentwood). Could be an active effort to "pair" buses, or might just be the one at the UoC stop was late and passed its departure on to the one I was on (seems unlikely given how nobody else was at Brentwood).

• Like 1