1 hour ago, Transit Fan said:

Awesome; looking forward to hear your impressions!

Are you within walking distance of the Woodbine station? Will be interesting to see if there's major time savings expected versus what your current commute would be.

I actually live on the northern tip of Evergreen, so I'll drive over to Woodbine (takes about 5-7 minutes). Hopefully I find a safe spot to park and get on by the roundabout.

I am interested to see how it's going to work out. I will post my findings! I'm finishing my last semester at MRU right now, so hopefully the MY starts before I finish. Otherwise, I'll take it in January when I start my new job in DT.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CTrainDude said:

Yes, they will be. 

I'm concerned about the turns on and off of the transitway then, similar to the issue with route 1 at 17 Ave and 52 Street. It looks like from the way it's being constructed there won't be a turn lane

10 hours ago, Blake M said:

I'm concerned about the turns on and off of the transitway then, similar to the issue with route 1 at 17 Ave and 52 Street. It looks like from the way it's being constructed there won't be a turn lane

For westbound to northbound turns, I think there's going to be a small cutout to make right turns easier. Turning left onto Heritage would be a bit more interesting. Unlike the 17th Ave transitway at 26th and 19th St SE, I think there's a larger gap between the 14 St SW/Heritage intersection and the transitway intersection so it's more like two back-to-back intersections really close together. This is just based on the project maps though; I haven't actually seen it in person. So unlike 52nd St SE where the 1 needs to cross the entire intersection, the 20/MT technically would just need to turn left into that small gap between the two intersections when there's no oncoming MY bus.

Here's a bold prediction, this change will probably slow down the MT by a small amount depending on how much green time the traffic on Heritage Dr gets. Going north, rather than just making the right turn and merging onto 14th St, it now needs to wait to cross 14th St. The 20 may actually a bit better off since it needs to service Rockyview anyway.

5 hours ago, Transit Fan said:

For westbound to northbound turns, I think there's going to be a small cutout to make right turns easier. Turning left onto Heritage would be a bit more interesting. Unlike the 17th Ave transitway at 26th and 19th St SE, I think there's a larger gap between the 14 St SW/Heritage intersection and the transitway intersection so it's more like two back-to-back intersections really close together. This is just based on the project maps though; I haven't actually seen it in person. So unlike 52nd St SE where the 1 needs to cross the entire intersection, the 20/MT technically would just need to turn left into that small gap between the two intersections when there's no oncoming MY bus.

Here's a bold prediction, this change will probably slow down the MT by a small amount depending on how much green time the traffic on Heritage Dr gets. Going north, rather than just making the right turn and merging onto 14th St, it now needs to wait to cross 14th St. The 20 may actually a bit better off since it needs to service Rockyview anyway

I'm going to be at Rockyview later, I'll try and go and take pictures of the current construction. Teal southbound probably won't have a major difference, but Teal northbound will definitely take longer now

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting takeaways:

• Route 13 - weekend evening service is restored from 10pm to midnight.
  • Route 20 - it will pass by Foothills Hospital now.
  • Route 44 (Deer Ridge/Avenida) - is going to be upgraded to all-day service (until 19:15) and will serve all of Lake Fraser Drive SE. No Sunday service.
  • Route 95 (Palliser) - is peak-only.
  • Route 410 (Glenmore Park) - is discontinued and will be served by route 149 as all-day service.
  • Route 66 (Lakeview) - is rerouted to serve Lakeview more central than the 18 used to.
  • Buses won't be entering East Gate at MRU. The MAX platforms at MRU are definitely not large enough to handle the afternoon crowds heading DT (I know this from experience)
  • Route 81 frequency is awful
  • Weekday evening frequency for MY got downgraded from 27 to 35 minutes as originally outlined in the Engage documents.
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, yvarushin said:

Some interesting takeaways:

• Route 20 - it will pass by Foothills Hospital now.
  • Weekday evening frequency for MY got downgraded from 27 to 35 minutes as originally outlined in the Engage documents.

I guess Route 20 riders got their way … last year’s change to Route 20 was either clearly awful, or maybe people just do not like change. Can all the duplicated services to Foothills be justified? I’m not often there. Is it always busy? 
(EDIT: I see now it’s not going into the hospital grounds, but stopping close by … I hope this is good enough to take care of the complaints!) 
As for Max Yellow, I saw in the chart that it was *weekend* evening service that’s now set at a 35 minute headway. 

Was the 22 always designed to run along 14th Street? I think it is limited stop on that corridor, but there seems to be lots of duplication with the 7 when it would be faster just to run it along Crowchild Trail just like the 112 it is replacing. Plus that would save travel time to Westhills from Downtown.

1 hour ago, Vancouver said:

Was the 22 always designed to run along 14th Street? I think it is limited stop on that corridor, but there seems to be lots of duplication with the 7 when it would be faster just to run it along Crowchild Trail just like the 112 it is replacing. Plus that would save travel time to Westhills from Downtown.

No it wasn't, according to information provided during the public consultation period. The first version of Route 22 had it using Crowchild.

But in revisions stemming from the first round of public input, Route 22 was changed to run through Marda Loop to give neighbourhoods near there direct access to Westhills, and a better east-west connection in general.

Between Marda Loop and downtown, Route 22 replaces Route 107 and will continue doing limited-stop service wherever the 107 had such an arrangement. (As a plus, 22 runs all day long, whereas 107 is a peak-only service.)

There is definitely duplication with Route 7, but after the Summer 2019 schedule change, the 7 runs slightly less frequently than it used to during daytime off-peak on weekdays and during the day on Saturday, so the 22 could theoretically be a welcome supplement — as long as it's scheduled in a useful way.

Not really familiar with much of the SW area to comment but here's a few thoughts:

• Max Yellow: 10 min peak frequency would make it the highest of all the MAX routes. The weekend evening frequency being at 35 is a bit disappointing though.
  • 6: From the "General Route Discussion" chat, I guess that one person that was flipping out over the #6 changes in the service review comments isn't going to be happy! ?
  • 20: I guess people using the 20 REALLY wanted access to FMC. I'm not convinced this route is exactly what they had in mind though. It's a pretty lengthy walk to the intersection and the 20 wouldn't be able to make use of the Max Orange stations either.
  • 106: Good chunk of the route seems like a dead zone along Blackfoot Tr which isn't exactly a pedestrian friendly stretch of road. They really should've had it run though Acadia.
  • 302: Not sure i'm a fan of another frequent bus going along 3rd St SE. That left turn from NB 3rd St to 6th Ave SE is rough at times. In the mornings, you may only have like 1-3 cars get through per green since there's no advance left signal, lots of pedestrians heading to Bow Valley College and lots of cars travelling SB on 3rd St.

Lastly, from the new Rapid Transit Network map, there's clearly a big gap between NE and SE now. Can't wait to see the 52nd St SE BRT fill that gap in the future.

• Like 1

I can see the 10 minute frequency being well needed on the MY in the rush hour especially since it's replacing the 18 between downtown and MRU. I'll be pretty disappointed if this route doesn't use artics at least during rush hour.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Nick B said:

I can see the 10 minute frequency being well needed on the MY in the rush hour especially since it's replacing the 18 between downtown and MRU. I'll be pretty disappointed if this route doesn't use artics at least during rush hour.

100% agreed 

Given the huge crowds of students I see waiting for the 18 every morning, 10 minute frequency seems about right.

Also, it's worth noting that Max Yellow should see decent ridership in both inbound and outbound directions compared to the other Max routes. e.g. Most ridership on the MP is inbound in the morning and outbound in the afternoon. MO and MT are similar to a degree with most of their key destinations being on the west end of the route in the mornings as well.

15 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Also remember that MAX Yellow shares a trunk with 66, so for anyone travelling between downtown and 33rd Avenue x Crowchild Trail, there will be 14 buses/hour in during peak times via Crowchild. 

Good thing there are transit only lanes 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downbeat said:

Also remember that MAX Yellow shares a trunk with 66, so for anyone travelling between downtown and 33rd Avenue x Crowchild Trail, there will be 14 buses/hour in during peak times via Crowchild. 

D'oh my math sucks. That's 10 buses per hour, not 14.

Now that I think about it, if your destination is MRU and …

• you don't mind a short walk, Route 66 will deposit you relatively close to campus.
  • you don't mind a longer ride, Route 13 will bring you right onto campus, as it does today.

So, really, 14 departures/hour (there's that number again) of direct service between downtown and Mount Royal University during peak times.

No shortage of options post Dec. 23!