ANIME-AND-BUSES

How do you find out if a transit agency are going to sale their buses?

Hey everyone, I want to ask owners of used buses, or just anyone how do you know if a transit company are going to sale their buses. I know there are dealerships but this one transit I know is most likely to retire their 98 D40LF' and 2003 C40LF's probably within the next few years. But, how can someone in the market for a used bus get notified of buses being sold.

And in addition, how could anyone buy a brand new bus directly from the manufacturer like New Flyer, or Gillig for example.

Thanks for reading.

Usually transit agencies auction off their old buses so your best bet is to check auction websites such as GovDeals.ca where they have listings of buses from different transit agencies. If you want a bus from a specific transit agency you would have to contact them directly to see how they dispose of their old buses.

If someone wants to order a bus direct from the manufacturer, they would contact them directly

6 hours ago, noahrp24 said:

Usually transit agencies auction off their old buses so your best bet is to check auction websites such as GovDeals.ca where they have listings of buses from different transit agencies. If you want a bus from a specific transit agency you would have to contact them directly to see how they dispose of their old buses.

There's a number of them that I frequent:

1. Auctions International:  NFTA Metro uses this one, as well as a couple other agencies.
  2. Government Deals (.ca & .com)
  3. Public Surplus:  opened an account (VERY easy, and for free.  Accounts allow user to search into closed auctions for further information.
  4. Purple Wave: Many mid-west agencies (Wichita Transit, Topeka Transit).  Note:  Do a "full" search.  It will show all the information on each bus, VIN/Engine/Trans.
  5. E-Bay (Buses through E-Bay Motors):

Note:  Most of the sites also list the Fleet numbers with their VIN numbers for vehicles for sale.  Helps building the lists that are lacking information.

If I find any more, I'll update this.

Good luck!

--- Darrin

If you are looking to buy a bus, one thing to keep in mind is who you buy a used model from. The posts above noted several good places to look. One thing to keep in mind is that actual used bus dealers (transit sales international, northwest) will often charge a lot more than an old bus is worth, so I would not recommend going to them. If you are going to buy from an auction, make sure that your bus does not have any major issues (structural damage and frame corrosion aren't the easiest to fix). 

Also, I wouldn't buy a CNG bus if I were you. Maintaining or replacing tanks and the fuel system can be very costly, and many agencies run CNG vehicles up until their tanks are close to expired.

As for a new bus, you can contact a manufacturer directly, but you'll want to have at least half a million in the bank ;) .

1 hour ago, WMATAC40LF said:

Also, I wouldn't buy a CNG bus if I were you. Maintaining or replacing tanks and the fuel system can be very costly, and many agencies run CNG vehicles up until their tanks are close to expired.

I guess another factor would be where you would be able to get CNG anyways. I can't seem to find a place near me without driving at least an hour to get CNG fuel...

22 hours ago, noahrp24 said:

I guess another factor would be where you would be able to get CNG anyways. I can't seem to find a place near me without driving at least an hour to get CNG fuel...

Not a lot in the GTA, but some larger US cities (especially in California) have public CNG stations.

On 5/17/2017 at 8:36 PM, noahrp24 said:

Where I live in, we have a CNG Station where they keep the buses and garbage trucks, and I googled it, and it says it was public

California seems to require that only Dealers, dismantlers, or out of state can buy used buses.

Here's another good source:

http://legacy.mitn.info/scripts/surplusauctions/default.asp?public_Groupid=1077&agroupname=MITN&GroupAbbrev=MITN&pid=1&pto=%2Fdefault.asp

SMART and Lake Erie Transit are the only agencies I know that use this, but there may be others.

On 2017-05-17 at 1:03 PM, noahrp24 said:

If someone wants to order a bus direct from the manufacturer, they would contact them directly.

You can order a bus directly from a manufacturer? I didn't know you could even do that...

On 5/17/2017 at 1:03 PM, noahrp24 said:

If someone wants to order a bus direct from the manufacturer, they would contact them directly

12 hours ago, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

You can order a bus directly from a manufacturer? I didn't know you can do that...

Sure.  If you happen to have half a million dollars lying around, they'd be glad to take if off your hands... ;)

15 minutes ago, tomsbuspage said:

Sure.  If you happen to half a million dollars lying around, they'd be glad to take if off your hands... ;)

OK. So you can order a bus, then have them send it right to you. Plus, you forgot to put the word "have" in between to and half. :lol:

15 minutes ago, tomsbuspage said:

Sure.  If you happen to have half a million dollars lying around, they'd be glad to take if off your hands... ;)

Now you fixed it!

Does whoever is selling you their buses check to make sure you have a valid license to drive it before they request payment? I think I have heard you can get away with a Ontario G class or equivalent as it is not being used for revenue service.

8 hours ago, Transit geek said:

Does whoever is selling you their buses check to make sure you have a valid license to drive it before they request payment? I think I have heard you can get away with a Ontario G class or equivalent as it is not being used for revenue service.

That would be a tricky situation.  AFAIK, the seller would be able to transfer the title, but a buyer with a G licence wouldn't be able to drive the bus away.  According to Transport Canada, any vehicle with twelve or more seats can be considered a bus and thus require a commercial driver's licence, even if the vehicle is a passenger van.  Thus, the buyer may need a C or an F licence to drive the bus on public roads.  Having said that, I remember an episode of Canada's Worst Driver in which all but a few seats were removed from a former school bus, and so the bus could legally be driven by the contestants using their G (or equivalent) licences.  This should also allow car drivers to drive motorhome conversions.

Another factor to consider is the mass of the vehicle.  If the bus weighs more than 11,000 kg, a D licence will probably be required even if the bus has fewer than twelve seats, similar to the requirement for a fire truck.  And of course, if the bus is equipped with air brakes, a Z endorsement will be required as well.

On 9/28/2017 at 2:12 AM, ANIME-AND-BUSES said:

I didn't realize Canada has what I think is many license classes. I'm used to only hearing about class C for cars, B for straight frame trucks, and A for Semi trailers in the U.S.

It depends on the province, but most provinces have numerous licence classes based on the vehicle being driven.

A good summary can be found on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver's_licence_in_Canada), and I've copied the list for Ontario below:

Class of Licence Types of Vehicles Allowed May Also Drive a Vehicle in Class

A Any tractor-trailer (or combination of motor vehicle and towed vehicles), where the towed vehicles exceed a total gross weight of 4,600 kilograms. D, G, and A with condition R
A with condition R Restricts Class A licence drivers from pulling double trailers or a trailer with air brakes.  D and G
B Any school-purposes bus with designed seating capacity for more than 24 passengers. C, D, E, F, and G
C Any regular bus with designed seating capacity for more than 24 passengers. D, F, and G
D Any truck or motor vehicle combination exceeding 11,000 kg, provided the towed vehicle is not over 4,600 kg. G
E Any school-purpose bus with a designed maximum seating capacity of 24 passengers.  F, and G
F Any regular bus with a maximum 24-passenger capacity (and ambulances). G
G Any car, van, or small truck (or combination of vehicle and towed vehicle up to 11,000 kg, provided the towed vehicle is not over 4,600 kg), but that is not a motorcycle or motor-assisted bicycle, a bus carrying passengers, or an ambulance in the course of providing ambulance service (as defined in the Ambulance Act). A recreational vehicle towed by a pick-up truck may exceed 4,600 kg.
G1 Level 1 of graduated licensing. (Replaces the former Class L learner’s permit.) G1 holders may drive Class G vehicles when accompanied by a fully licensed driver with at least four years of driving experience. Additional conditions apply. (See the Driver’s Handbook for more information.)  
G2 Level 2 of graduated licensing. Holders may drive Class G vehicles without an accompanying driver but are subject to certain conditions. For example, the number of young passengers that teen G2 drivers can carry are limited from midnight to 5 a.m. (See the Driver’s Handbook for more information.)  
M Motorcycles, including limited-speed motorcycles (motor scooters) and motor-assisted bicycles (mopeds). Class M holders may also drive a Class G vehicle under the conditions that apply to a Class G1 licence holder. M with condition L (motor scooters and mopeds)
M1 Level 1 of graduated licensing for motorcycles, including limited-speed motorcycles (motor scooters) and motor-assisted bicycles (mopeds). M1 holders may drive a motorcycle under certain conditions. M with condition L (motor scooters and mopeds)
M2 Level 2 of graduated licensing for motorcycles, including limited-speed motorcycles (motor scooters) and motor-assisted bicycles (mopeds). M2 holders may drive a motorcycle but only with a zero-blood-alcohol level. Holders may also drive a Class G vehicle under the conditions that apply to a Class G1 licence holder. M with condition L (motor scooters and mopeds)
M (or M1, M2) with condition L (LSM/moped) Limited-speed motorcycles (LSM) or mopeds only. Limited-speed motorcycles are motorcycles with a maximum speed of 70 km/hr. If manufactured after 1988, they are identified by a label on the vehicle that indicates it to be a "LSM/MVL."  
M (or M1, M2) with condition M (motor tricycle) Motor tricycles (three-wheeled motorcycles) only. These vehicles travel on three wheels, have straddled seating, use a handle bar for steering, carry no more than 4 passengers, and have a gross vehicle weight of 1,000 kg or less.

Some vehicles with three wheels, because of the close spacing of its front wheels, are considered to be a two-wheeled open motorcycle by Transport Canada. If you take a road test with one of these vehicles, you can get a full, rather than limited, Class M driver’s licence.