ANIME-AND-BUSES

How do you find out if a transit agency are going to sale their buses?

11 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I want to ask owners of used buses, or just anyone how do you know if a transit company are going to sale their buses. I know there are dealerships but this one transit I know is most likely to retire their 98 D40LF' and 2003 C40LF's probably within the next few years. But, how can someone in the market for a used bus get notified of buses being sold.

And in addition, how could anyone buy a brand new bus directly from the manufacturer like New Flyer, or Gillig for example.

Thanks for reading.

Usually transit agencies auction off their old buses so your best bet is to check auction websites such as GovDeals.ca where they have listings of buses from different transit agencies. If you want a bus from a specific transit agency you would have to contact them directly to see how they dispose of their old buses.

If someone wants to order a bus direct from the manufacturer, they would contact them directly

6 hours ago, noahrp24 said:

Usually transit agencies auction off their old buses so your best bet is to check auction websites such as GovDeals.ca where they have listings of buses from different transit agencies. If you want a bus from a specific transit agency you would have to contact them directly to see how they dispose of their old buses.

There's a number of them that I frequent:

1. Auctions International:  NFTA Metro uses this one, as well as a couple other agencies.
  2. Government Deals (.ca & .com)
  3. Public Surplus:  opened an account (VERY easy, and for free.  Accounts allow user to search into closed auctions for further information.
  4. Purple Wave: Many mid-west agencies (Wichita Transit, Topeka Transit).  Note:  Do a "full" search.  It will show all the information on each bus, VIN/Engine/Trans.
  5. E-Bay (Buses through E-Bay Motors):

Note:  Most of the sites also list the Fleet numbers with their VIN numbers for vehicles for sale.  Helps building the lists that are lacking information.

If I find any more, I'll update this.

Good luck!

--- Darrin

If you are looking to buy a bus, one thing to keep in mind is who you buy a used model from. The posts above noted several good places to look. One thing to keep in mind is that actual used bus dealers (transit sales international, northwest) will often charge a lot more than an old bus is worth, so I would not recommend going to them. If you are going to buy from an auction, make sure that your bus does not have any major issues (structural damage and frame corrosion aren't the easiest to fix). 

Also, I wouldn't buy a CNG bus if I were you. Maintaining or replacing tanks and the fuel system can be very costly, and many agencies run CNG vehicles up until their tanks are close to expired.

As for a new bus, you can contact a manufacturer directly, but you'll want to have at least half a million in the bank ;) .

1 hour ago, WMATAC40LF said:

Also, I wouldn't buy a CNG bus if I were you. Maintaining or replacing tanks and the fuel system can be very costly, and many agencies run CNG vehicles up until their tanks are close to expired.

I guess another factor would be where you would be able to get CNG anyways. I can't seem to find a place near me without driving at least an hour to get CNG fuel...

22 hours ago, noahrp24 said:

I guess another factor would be where you would be able to get CNG anyways. I can't seem to find a place near me without driving at least an hour to get CNG fuel...

Not a lot in the GTA, but some larger US cities (especially in California) have public CNG stations.

On 5/17/2017 at 8:36 PM, noahrp24 said:

Where I live in, we have a CNG Station where they keep the buses and garbage trucks, and I googled it, and it says it was public

California seems to require that only Dealers, dismantlers, or out of state can buy used buses.

4 hours ago, XN40 said:

California seems to require that only Dealers, dismantlers, or out of state can buy used buses.

Southern California