Coast Mountain's longest serving driver has retired after 48 years

piggyoinkcanada

http://www.theprovince.com/news/local+news/long+serving+driver+makes+final+after+years+service/13362892/story.html

"When Don French first started working in public transit, he drove a 1940s-era trolley bus in downtown Vancouver, and the fare for an adult was 20 cents.

On Thursday, after 48 years behind the wheel, French worked his final shift, tipping his cap and offering a bow to his customers before walking off the bus in Richmond.

“Free at last, free at last!” he joked.

French, who is 73 years old and was at the top of the driver-seniority list for Coast Mountain Bus Company, has managed to keep his sense of humour after almost half-a-century of battling Lower Mainland traffic and dealing with customers."

• Like 1

When I started at (then) BCTransit, Brother Don had 21 years on the job.  I worked with him most days, particularly after RTC opened.  I learned much from him and can attest to his sense of humor.  RTC Depot will not be the same without him.  He is missed already !!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2017 at 7:40 PM, buizel10 said:

I don't think we need a new thread for this. Perhaps we should have a central bus driver retirement thread hahaha.

Angus;'s retirement rated a thread on its own, I started that thread, and didn't get any static from anyone over it.

• Like 2