BYD Battery Electric Bus Demo (2017)

Express691

• 2 weeks later...

Just have to wait until the second half of 2018 for more electric bus trials.  The 4 buses for 2018 will be purchased and used for at least 2 years on the 100 as per the current plan.  No chance of these buses being on other routes since they will rely on charging stations at 22nd St Stn and Marpole Loop. 

For some reason, I can't paste the link to the article about this for Translink and two other agencies in Canada.  It's on Mass Transit Mag site and there is a link from the investor relations section of New Flyers website.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brando737 said:

Just have to wait until the second half of 2018 for more electric bus trials.  The 4 buses for 2018 will be purchased and used for at least 2 years on the 100 as per the current plan.  No chance of these buses being on other routes since they will rely on charging stations at 22nd St Stn and Marpole Loop. 

For some reason, I can't paste the link to the article about this for Translink and two other agencies in Canada.  It's on Mass Transit Mag site and there is a link from the investor relations section of New Flyers website.

This needs a new thread, which I have created.

Mass Transit Mag article: http://www.masstransitmag.com/article/12353530/canada-sets-the-course-with-zero-emission-bus-demonstration-trial. Looks like we will get NFI and/or Novas with overhead pantographs as the charging method (I'll probably leave Vancouver by September 2018 though :( ). 

I've only been on 1007 once, and I think the bus itself is ok. Typical strong start-up of electric buses.

Backside: other than the door issue, the interior looks kind of shabby and the exterior resembles D40LFR quite a lot. If I recall correctly, there is no stop buttons/strings on board (it's a Chinese thing).

Battery: I'm not a fan of BYD mainly because of their battery technology and philosophy. They basically achieve high mileage by piling up batteries in a wardrobe in their buses, sacrificing passenger spaces. Their Lithium-iron-phosphate itself is fine, but technologies with higher energy densities are already available.