BYD Battery Electric Bus Demo (2017)

Express691

13 hours ago, Marlow1331 said:

Uhhhhh why is this in this thread?

Um, because those are pictures of the drivers' console of the BYD test bus?

edit: That said, cmbc2008, you really don't need to "welcome us to Vancouver transit centre" anymore. We're quite familiar with it. But thank you for posting pictures! :)

8 minutes ago, Large Cat said:

Um, because those are pictures of the drivers' console of the BYD test bus?

Those were originally posted somewhere else and I guess an admin moved them here.

I think the bus resembles NFI LFRs a lot; considering that Chinese manufactures hardly have innovations on the looks of buses, this is not news...

From their website, I think this one is a 30-ft K7. http://www.byd.com/usa/bus/k7-electric-transit-bus/#specs

34 minutes ago, brzyski said:

Those were originally posted somewhere else and I guess an admin moved them here.

Exactly. My post was originally in the "new articulated for vancouver" thread. With that being said. You can now excuse my comment. :P

Someone posted a pic of the VIN and it matched with the bus that was here in early November.

Article currently lists all the VTC UBC 40' routes (25, 33, 41, 84)

The article also mentions that we have 116 CNG buses but in reality we have 146. 

1 hour ago, neopasturquoise said:

My favourite thing I have learned so far about the new bus, after reading this article, is that it is going to be batter-powered. Perhaps it will be zero emissions, but if it did emit anything, it would smell like cake!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FullFrontalElectric said:

Pretty cool looking bus. just saw the news on CTV and they said it will save 80% a year over Diesel. Crazy numbers if true. If the mayor can plug it in to charge then how hard could it be. Can't wait to ride it. 

Lets see how hard it "could" be for it to finish the actual trial first... 

Not just about the BYD, but this thread is the best place for this.  

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/battery-powered-electric-buses-translink

Along with the BYD testing bus, this article mentions the testing on the 100 starting next year.  It says Translink will purchase 4 electric buses, 2 from Nova and 2 from New Flyer, and the infrastructure for charging stations at the terminus.  Says it will be a testing period of 2.5 years.  Can't wait for all of this.

• Like 3

If this technology proves to be a success this could spell the end of trolley bus service here. It was mentioned by Kevin Desmond that this technology would be cheaper to run then the current Trolley fleet as there is no trolley overhead wire maintenance to contend with. Be careful what you wish for with this technology!

44 minutes ago, dover5949 said:

If this technology proves to be a success this could spell the end of trolley bus service here. It was mentioned by Kevin Desmond that this technology would be cheaper to run then the current Trolley fleet as there is no trolley overhead wire maintenance to contend with. Be careful what you wish for with this technology!

They are also looking for cleaner alternatives to diesel so we could see these electric buses replace current diesels if things work out.  They could potentially make VTC a fully electric depot.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Brando737 said:

Not just about the BYD, but this thread is the best place for this.  

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/battery-powered-electric-buses-translink

Along with the BYD testing bus, this article mentions the testing on the 100 starting next year.  It says Translink will purchase 4 electric buses, 2 from Nova and 2 from New Flyer, and the infrastructure for charging stations at the terminus.  Says it will be a testing period of 2.5 years.  Can't wait for all of this.

If they're going to purchase from both Nova and New Flyer, they better find a common charging mechanism that is are compatible. Nova has the pantograph attached to the station itself while New Flyer has the charger attached to the bus itself, so they're very different and not compatible. Installing two different kinds of charging stations makes the installations overall much more expensive.

Nova:

STM Nova Bus LFSe 36-903

New Flyer:

2015 New Flyer XE40 Xcelsior pantograph

Demonstrations like these can be unpredictable. In any case it'll be fun to track down even once in service because it probably won't have the INIT system onboard... I mean, one can correlate the TComm runs or the TransLink real-time data with the schedules to determine the existence of this whisper-quiet bus, but that won't be necessarily easy when out in the field.

22 minutes ago, Millennium2002 said:

Demonstrations like these can be unpredictable. In any case it'll be fun to track down even once in service because it probably won't have the INIT system onboard... I mean, one can correlate the TComm runs or the TransLink real-time data with the schedules to determine the existence of this whisper-quiet bus, but that won't be necessarily easy when out in the field.

It is unpredictable because we just found out it had a mechanical issue.