Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MVTArider

Transport for London (TfL) London, England

7 posts in this topic

Back at the end of February this year I was able to take a trip to the London area and do a bit of transit fanning on the various modes. Here's a fairly current look at some of the system:

  • Red route buses:

I believe these are all privately owned and operated under contract by a variety of operators. Major operators/contractors in the London network include Abellio, Arriva, London United|RATP Group, Metroline, and Stagecoach. You can find others as well. Common new models are of course the Wrightbus New Routemaster (Borismaster) and also the Gemini 3, and Alexander Dennis Enviro 200 and 400 MMC version. A large number of older Enviro 200, 400, eclipse Gemini and Gemini 2 were also seen. Beyond those there are also some other makes and models depending on the contractor.

33876061341_16fb725b6f_t.jpg 33482901170_0c345fcb61_t.jpg 33054120213_7417c9389a_t.jpg 33679835161_09398402c4_t.jpg 33582674441_60afc5162e_t.jpg 32898371823_365809ab0e_t.jpg 32869447014_fbf23ebc64_t.jpg 33582680901_91f8af180e_t.jpg 33254735605_72540d9aa2_t.jpg

The electric buses are doing well it seems, route 507 and 521 are run completely with the Alexander Dennis Enviro 200EV on BYD chassis:

 

32507206833_ccc97ca3d8_t.jpg 33321712295_bc16cbd08e_t.jpg 32869390024_e6cbe3d466_t.jpg ...and a short ride clip of one.

  • London Trams

Trams serve the Croydon area to the south of London. A mix of equipment is operated, with the older refurbished Bombardier Flexity-Swift CR4000 and newer Stadler Rail Variobahns.

 

33650443275_1105e2a304_t.jpg 33650438935_7ac049f3fc_t.jpg 33538665112_cd8886cbef_t.jpg 33538657472_853c180bbc_t.jpg

  • London Underground

A mix of older and newer equipment is operating. Piccadilly Line was still the 1973 stock while a couple of others I rode were more recent. Open gangways are the standard now for all new trainsets. This helps a bit with some of them ore crowded periods and also with some of the older stations where the back set of doors on the train won't open! I didn't get a lot of photos of the Underground equipment due to the general poor photography conditions in the stations which make for blurry and dark shots, plus all the crowds which make it hard to get clear shot anyways. Here are a few however.

33826330856_699181d22f_t.jpg 33023693644_a327ac6ffe_t.jpg 33266751980_ac7e1b50ff_t.jpg 33266749370_79924bc592_t.jpg 33215395641_f7447c3745_t.jpg

  • DLR - Docklands Light Railway

Finally we have the DLR trams, the DLR is completely automated (think Vancouver SkyTrain) and consists of multiple lines around the Docklands area in the southeast of Greater London. The majority of the equipment I observed were the newer Bombardier B07 type. However a few of the older cars were also seen.

 

33662351176_0fa0e35e21_t.jpg 33547054562_5e7da013f3_t.jpg 32860644854_7f69afc648_t.jpg 33033077643_8a26d3753d_t.jpg

 

 
I was also able to ride once on the Overground, however I didn't get any significant photos, so I'll leave that out. Overall a very impressive system.
This is my main photo collection for stations, stops, and vehicles of Transport for London if interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/thetransitcamera/collections/72157680919743146/

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice shots!  

Interesting that the Tube stock and the Docklands cars have longitudinal seating with armrests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2017‎/‎04‎/‎19 at 11:01 PM, MVTArider said:

Back at the end of February this year I was able to take a trip to the London area and do a bit of transit fanning on the various modes. Here's a fairly current look at some of the system:

  • Red route buses:

I believe these are all privately owned and operated under contract by a variety of operators. Major operators/contractors in the London network include Abellio, Arriva, London United|RATP Group, Metroline, and Stagecoach. You can find others as well. Common new models are of course the Wrightbus New Routemaster (Borismaster) and also the Gemini 3, and Alexander Dennis Enviro 200 and 400 MMC version. A large number of older Enviro 200, 400, eclipse Gemini and Gemini 2 were also seen. Beyond those there are also some other makes and models depending on the contractor.

33876061341_16fb725b6f_t.jpg 33482901170_0c345fcb61_t.jpg 33054120213_7417c9389a_t.jpg 33679835161_09398402c4_t.jpg 33582674441_60afc5162e_t.jpg 32898371823_365809ab0e_t.jpg 32869447014_fbf23ebc64_t.jpg 33582680901_91f8af180e_t.jpg 33254735605_72540d9aa2_t.jpg

The electric buses are doing well it seems, route 507 and 521 are run completely with the Alexander Dennis Enviro 200EV on BYD chassis:

 

32507206833_ccc97ca3d8_t.jpg 33321712295_bc16cbd08e_t.jpg 32869390024_e6cbe3d466_t.jpg ...and a short ride clip of one.

  • London Trams

Trams serve the Croydon area to the south of London. A mix of equipment is operated, with the older refurbished Bombardier Flexity-Swift CR4000 and newer Stadler Rail Variobahns.

 

33650443275_1105e2a304_t.jpg 33650438935_7ac049f3fc_t.jpg 33538665112_cd8886cbef_t.jpg 33538657472_853c180bbc_t.jpg

  • London Underground

A mix of older and newer equipment is operating. Piccadilly Line was still the 1973 stock while a couple of others I rode were more recent. Open gangways are the standard now for all new trainsets. This helps a bit with some of them ore crowded periods and also with some of the older stations where the back set of doors on the train won't open! I didn't get a lot of photos of the Underground equipment due to the general poor photography conditions in the stations which make for blurry and dark shots, plus all the crowds which make it hard to get clear shot anyways. Here are a few however.

33826330856_699181d22f_t.jpg 33023693644_a327ac6ffe_t.jpg 33266751980_ac7e1b50ff_t.jpg 33266749370_79924bc592_t.jpg 33215395641_f7447c3745_t.jpg

  • DLR - Docklands Light Railway

Finally we have the DLR trams, the DLR is completely automated (think Vancouver SkyTrain) and consists of multiple lines around the Docklands area in the southeast of Greater London. The majority of the equipment I observed were the newer Bombardier B07 type. However a few of the older cars were also seen.

 

33662351176_0fa0e35e21_t.jpg 33547054562_5e7da013f3_t.jpg 32860644854_7f69afc648_t.jpg 33033077643_8a26d3753d_t.jpg

 

 

I was also able to ride once on the Overground, however I didn't get any significant photos, so I'll leave that out. Overall a very impressive system.

This is my main photo collection for stations, stops, and vehicles of Transport for London if interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/thetransitcamera/collections/72157680919743146/

TfL owns ALL the New Routemasters and allocates them to the operators for the individual contracted services.

In most cases the operators lease other types for the period of the contracted service rather than purchase them outright, this makes it easier for them to dispose of the buses at the end of the contract if they either lose it or if TfL specifies different vehicles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MVTArider, could we use a few of your photos for the wiki?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ADB said:

@MVTArider, could we use a few of your photos for the wiki?

Certainly, no problem. Thanks

23 hours ago, Centralsmt said:

TfL owns ALL the New Routemasters and allocates them to the operators for the individual contracted services.

In most cases the operators lease other types for the period of the contracted service rather than purchase them outright, this makes it easier for them to dispose of the buses at the end of the contract if they either lose it or if TfL specifies different vehicles.

So they do own those Routemasters. I was reading about the lifespan on those and how TfL changed something on operators contracts so they could run them all the way to 12 years or so instead of having to replace after 7-10.

I read about leasing buses somewhere, I have to wonder if we'll ever get a system like that in North America as more agencies seem to struggle with purchasing new buses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MVTArider said:

Certainly, no problem. Thanks

So they do own those Routemasters. I was reading about the lifespan on those and how TfL changed something on operators contracts so they could run them all the way to 12 years or so instead of having to replace after 7-10.

I read about leasing buses somewhere, I have to wonder if we'll ever get a system like that in North America as more agencies seem to struggle with purchasing new buses.

"Normal" London buses ie. not New Routemasters, are usually a different specification from standard UK provincial buses, the most obvious differences being dual doors and the staircase on double deckers. For operators in London to cascade them to provincial subsidiary's after London service the buses would require costly modifications to make them suitable for use outside London, that's why it is cheaper to lease vehicles in the long run as the actual owners are then responsible for converting the vehicles for onward sale, or the buyer gets them below book value and does the work themselves.

The New Routemaster is so different in specification from anything else in the UK no operator would have touched it, therefore TfL really had no option to buy them themselves as its unlikely any will ever see use outside London. In fact after the current order is completed it is extremely unlikely that any further vehicles will be built.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0