Jan Boic

Oakville Transit

On 3/4/2019 at 8:45 PM, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

Honestly, it seems the more people speculate/talk about it, the more likely it could happen. To be honest, at this point I can't say I support amalgamation, not governmentally, and not in a transit sense.

The goals/visions are all too different. And back to transit, I worry amalgamation will mean one big Milton Transit - everyone here knows what that means.

I doubt forced amalgamation will lead to better service and provision, but instead cheaper, worse service in what used to be Oakville Transit and Burlington Transit, with no real improvement anywhere maybe other than an or some inter-city routes.

Put simply, I think each town, particularly Oakville and Burlington, are doing just fine for now. Amalgamation would change that.

At the risk of derailing this discussion, I don't agree with wholesale amalgamation of all the municipalities in Halton for the points your raised.  Consolidation would probably be more tenable to the public, say Oakville-Burlington and Milton-Halton Hills (if we're keeping the existing regional boundaries).  I don't know if Halton is at the point where regional-level transit should be considered, only because Halton Hills is still in the process of implementing some sort of transit system.  North-south transit connections are only really provided by GO's Route 20, while Halton Hills has no transit connections to the rest of Halton.

We received our five (5) 2019 Nova LFS Diesel buses yesterday afternoon. #1901-1905. Minor cosmetic changes to this batch of buses. 3 year contract with Nova. 5 for 2019, 6 for 2020 and another 6 for 2021. I believe pending budget the amount could change for the next two years but I don't know for sure.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, J. Boic said:

We received our five (5) 2019 Nova LFS Diesel buses yesterday afternoon. #1901-1905. Minor cosmetic changes to this batch of buses. 3 year contract with Nova. 5 for 2019, 6 for 2020 and another 6 for 2021. I believe pending budget the amount could change for the next two years but I don't know for sure.

When did the other 2 come in? I only ever saw 3.

As for cosmetic changes, it's only interior stuff really, might we get the new window in future orders?

On 5/3/2019 at 11:36 AM, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

When did the other 2 come in? I only ever saw 3.

As for cosmetic changes, it's only interior stuff really, might we get the new window in future orders?

They all came in together but the other two are/were in the shop. New thinner passenger window borders, with the emergency exit now only part of the lower larger window piece. USB chargers for the passengers under each seat. electronic foot vent instead of manual. Front door toggle switch on the outside as well as non-smart bus interior ceiling panels where the advertisements go.

Fleet Update: 2013 Chevrolet Arboc "Sprit of Mobility" #1323 has been retired from service after a blown motor.

Edited by J. Boic
  • Thanks 1

Out if curiosity, any reason why the Vicinites mostly don't see service on Saturdays, but the majority if them are out on Sundays? Are they just in the active service lines at the garage during the week as well as Sundays for drivers to take them out for their shifts and are they in maintenance bays on Saturdays so that'd prevent them from seeing service then?

2 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Out if curiosity, any reason why the Vicinites mostly don't see service on Saturdays, but the majority if them are out on Sundays? Are they just in the active service lines at the garage during the week as well as Sundays for drivers to take them out for their shifts and are they in maintenance bays on Saturdays so that'd prevent them from seeing service then?

We don’t have any service staff scheduled on Saturday’s to fuel the buses. Whatever goes out Saturday is held in Sunday for fuel. Seeing how Sunday’s is the lowest ridership day, they’re used mostly on that day. 

• Thanks 2

@J. Boic Curious about a photo of 1901 with 4101 you could perhaps answer. Is there plans to link an Oakville bus into Milton GO via Bronte or some kind of service? I know in the plans Milton is looking to go out to connect but with 1901 displaying Milton, ON, I do wonder if Oakville has any plans at all to go into Milton.

18 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

@J. Boic Curious about a photo of 1901 with 4101 you could perhaps answer. Is there plans to link an Oakville bus into Milton GO via Bronte or some kind of service? I know in the plans Milton is looking to go out to connect but with 1901 displaying Milton, ON, I do wonder if Oakville has any plans at all to go into Milton.

The signs came programmed with Milton Transit files, that's all. No plans for any service expansion at this time. We are actually going to be dealing with cuts for the foreseeable future.

23 hours ago, J. Boic said:

The signs came programmed with Milton Transit files, that's all. No plans for any service expansion at this time. We are actually going to be dealing with cuts for the foreseeable future.

Cuts in a time when we should be maximizing our services to focus on core demographics and service areas. We don't need cuts, we need more efficient provision. The routes up on the chopper are A. still being used (just not as used as other routes) and B. could be only slightly modified to optimize their appeal to local riders.

Rejig the schedules and routes, but not more cuts. It's only a further deterrent to using public transit, and it's been proven that cuts cost more in the long run. If I learned one thing doing transit planning at university, it was proof that death does come by a thousand cuts (to all public services). Cuts kill transit.

Unfortunately, not Transit, but the government at all levels seems bent on reducing investment - and return - from public transit. Yet, in a time of austerity, we still find hundreds of millions of dollars to build and endlessly repave highways... Highways that unlike transit are NOT expected to collect a fare/toll.

Again, Transit isn't exactly looking to axe it's own limbs, but there are a number of other groups we can blame for these unnecessary cuts, and we should all feel some sympathy for Oakville Transit administrators. Tough choices are unfortunately out of their control, from what I've been told.

• Like 1

I know what cuts mean to transit. Hey, I had come from a city which had been so reluctant to make transit a priority that it cut gas tax by 10% so it can shave and pave small residential roads that didn't need it.
I may have an idea of what routes could see the axe and what i'td mean for the buses and the drivers to then be reallocated. I know I"ve heard of that term before but, if those buses and drivers are reallocated to say, Trafalgar, Dundas and maybe Lakeshore Road, okay. 
I'm not sure if Oakville has service standards. Whether or not if there's a specific distance for residents and businesses to be from a bus stop. 
I haven't paid as much attention, or rarely about Oakville's town council similarly as I had with Burlington as I known with Burlington of whom were really anti-transit. I can't say the same for Oakville. Unsure if anyone else in this town (and by the way, it should be a city. Grow up. It has the population of a city so act like it, too!)
I believe the fleet is just a bit over 100 which is a very healthy spare ratio given what is needed for peak requirement. I don't know, if OT management has wanted to do so much with the fleet they have that all they can do is do with the limited budget council throws at them. 
Cuts lead to loss of ridership and yup, usually another large fare increase. I really do hope that things aren't going to be happening as I think they might but, I'm not liking what I'm seeing from OT at this point.
An agency what once was a good comparable for any agency to use for seeing what kind of service levels to use or the investments in transit, good programs and the like, if it turns out that these cuts would drastically harm the system, one of the links in the GTHA transit chain would be drastically broken.

2019 Nova LFS 1902 and 1904 are in service now. Still waiting on the other 3 units. There are some warranty work that needs to be dealt with. We also received new 2019 Arboc "Spirit of Freedom" buses, slightly redesigned looking a little more boxier than before. They will be numbered 1821-1822. They were last years order. Two more I believe coming by the fall.

An adjustment schedule as well for the 6 Nova LFS buses due for next year, will actually be arriving this fall as well. Fleet numbers will continue as 1906-1911. The other set of buses (6) will arrive for April 2020, concluding the 3 year contract with Nova at that point.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, J. Boic said:

2019 Nova LFS 1902 and 1904 are in service now. Still waiting on the other 3 units. There are some warranty work that needs to be dealt with. We also received new 2019 Arboc "Spirit of Freedom" buses, slightly redesigned looking a little more boxier than before. They will be numbered 1821-1822. They were last years order. Two more I believe coming by the fall.

An adjustment schedule as well for the 6 Nova LFS buses due for next year, will actually be arriving this fall as well. Fleet numbers will continue as 1906-1911. The other set of buses (6) will arrive for April 2020, concluding the 3 year contract with Nova at that point.

Do you know what happened to 1904 today?  It had to get taken out of service early around 3pm and sent to lane 1, then the shop. Was that "warranty" related or is that something separate?

4 hours ago, J. Boic said:

We also received new 2019 Arboc "Spirit of Freedom" buses, slightly redesigned looking a little more boxier than before. They will be numbered 1821-1822. They were last years order. Two more I believe coming by the fall.

If you manage to get a photo of one, I wouldn't mind seeing how boxier they look. Much appreciated.

57 minutes ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

Do you know what happened to 1904 today?  It had to get taken out of service early around 3pm and sent to lane 1, then the shop. Was that "warranty" related or is that something separate?

I saw it on the west side when I returned for the day... guess it didn’t go out for long. I’ll check in the morning. 1902 was changed off for rear door malfunction.

27 minutes ago, TTC 9701 said:

If you manage to get a photo of one, I wouldn't mind seeing how boxier they look. Much appreciated.

There is a photo cut out on their brochure online in the meantime. I’ll try and get one tomorrow morning.

Was the retirement timeline for the 06 D40LFRs originally for 2020, but with the other 2019s coming in the fall now, I guess that 6 of 8 of them would be seeing retirements at that point, too.
And would the rest of the order for next year be all replacement without any expansion? If this is the case, the 07 D40LFRs would be on the clock.

13 hours ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

Probably a sick bus.

15 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Was the retirement timeline for the 06 D40LFRs originally for 2020, but with the other 2019s coming in the fall now, I guess that 6 of 8 of them would be seeing retirements at that point, too.
And would the rest of the order for next year be all replacement without any expansion? If this is the case, the 07 D40LFRs would be on the clock.

We still have buses older than the 2006s in service. They'll go first. D40LF 5105 has been taken off the road. 4101, 5106, 5103 and 5104 are still on the road daily. Still waiting on the rest of the 2019 LFS' to enter service.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2019 at 9:39 PM, TTC 9701 said:

"Be patient and you'll see them when they hit the road."    Sound familiar?

• Like 2

2004 New Flyer D40LF #5106 (ex-London Transit #462) purchased second hand in 2011 has now been retired. Care-A-Van 1122 as also been retired. The new Arboc buses have started to enter service. 1822 has been out for the past few days.

2018 Grande West Vicinity #1806 was involved in a serious collision yesterday morning involving a dump truck that ran a stop sign and t-boned the bus. Extensive damage to both vehicle but no serious injuries. It will be off the road for some time.

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, any updates on the 1100s? Seems like 1101, 1104 haven't been in action for quite a long time. And only up until recently, 1106.
To date I've seen 1102, 3 and 1105 out there in service. Any problems?

And what is the status of 1905 to which it's the only one to see service out of the 1900's that have already hit the road?

36 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

Out of curiosity, any updates on the 1100s? Seems like 1101, 1104 haven't been in action for quite a long time. And only up until recently, 1106.
To date I've seen 1102, 3 and 1105 out there in service. Any problems?

And what is the status of 1905 to which it's the only one to see service out of the 1900's that have already hit the road?

1101/1104 are in Mississauga at Cityview getting an engine rebuild. Once they return, 1106 and another will be next. 1106 has a bad engine and has been removed from service until its rebuilt. 

1905 is waiting on a new front destination sign.

• Thanks 1

Rode 1902 today. Noticed something on 1902 (maybe applies to other buses) but they I'm assuming they changed the next stop display format, using the entire board. Is this an AODA thing?

5104 will be decommissioned this tonight. I was fortunate to be the last person to drive it in service this afternoon. 5103 is the last 2005 D40LF left in service.

• Thanks 5

On 7/27/2019 at 5:46 PM, Kelvin3157 said:

Rode 1902 today. Noticed something on 1902 (maybe applies to other buses) but they I'm assuming they changed the next stop display format, using the entire board. Is this an AODA thing?

Pardon the bump, but are you referring to after the bell is pulled and sounded, that the voice announces, "Stop Requested. Please be seated until bus is fully stopped?" That's on the whole fleet. Not only is that announced but also is seen on the visual display.

Speaking of the 1900's, 1905 two weeks ago had entered service, meaning that all 1900-series Novas for this batch are all accounted for and are in service.

On 8/13/2019 at 11:59 PM, newflyerinvero said:

Pardon the bump, but are you referring to after the bell is pulled and sounded, that the voice announces, "Stop Requested. Please be seated until bus is fully stopped?" That's on the whole fleet. Not only is that announced but also is seen on the visual display.

Speaking of the 1900's, 1905 two weeks ago had entered service, meaning that all 1900-series Novas for this batch are all accounted for and are in service.

No. I know that it's annouced and shown on all of the fleet. I've ridden more buses already.

I'm referring to how the formatting has changed to a single lined display, using the whole display board, unlike the two lines stacked right now, noting it could be an AODA thing with it having to be a bigger size font.