Oakville Transit

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The final Orion #4101 has now been retired from service. End of an era for Orion Buses in Oakville! 1980-2019. 

Just because you see a bus from a different transit system in a different municipality does not automatically mean it has anything to do with a certain transit system. I have absolutely no idea what o

The tender for 40ft replacement heavy duty diesel buses has been released. This is a multi year contract. This is an independent issued tender as the Town of Oakville is no longer participating in the

Posted Images

5 hours ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

And 1701 wreaks like a dirty urinal 🙁

18 hours ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

1102 sounds particularly odd. It has a high pitch buzz/whine and sounds a lot like a Voith.... Now on 1209, I hear the difference. Is there a prob with 1102?

And you felt you had to tell us all of this? 

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

1102 sounds particularly odd. It has a high pitch buzz/whine and sounds a lot like a Voith.... Now on 1209, I hear the difference. Is there a prob with 1102?

7 hours ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

And 1701 wreaks like a dirty urinal 🙁

Only valuable information is allowed on the board. This is not valuable information. No more posting useless stuff. Thx

• Like 4
38 minutes ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

So then the three of you can answer to all these posts then?  Lemme know why the buses A. smell bad and B. are in disrepair....

Once again, stop posting your inane rants. Stay on topic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm beginning to think that this system is starting to go downhill. 
Budget wise, recalling from last year that the overall capital and operational budgets being relatively the same, with the main monies being allocated to the new Palermo Terminal and maybe re-development of Oakville GO Station and Oakville's share to GO Transit (and/or if that's Oakville's project or GO's).
Nevertheless, from the opertional standpoint, unless OT hasn't made a big budget request for big service improvements, seems like there's nothing too much that would happen.
Furthermore, I hadnt' been paying too much attention to Town Council's views on Transit and whether they're for or against it as compared to how I have much more knowledge of Burlington Transit's situation. No matter what though, since the last system upgrade, I'm not sure what else would be done, unless if there is additional information that I can't find.
I hope things are improving overall.
Lastly, any idea at this point how many Novas per year (from 2019 to 2021) are expected?

17 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

I'm beginning to think that this system is starting to go downhill. 
Budget wise, recalling from last year that the overall capital and operational budgets being relatively the same, with the main monies being allocated to the new Palermo Terminal and maybe re-development of Oakville GO Station and Oakville's share to GO Transit (and/or if that's Oakville's project or GO's).
Nevertheless, from the opertional standpoint, unless OT hasn't made a big budget request for big service improvements, seems like there's nothing too much that would happen.
Furthermore, I hadnt' been paying too much attention to Town Council's views on Transit and whether they're for or against it as compared to how I have much more knowledge of Burlington Transit's situation. No matter what though, since the last system upgrade, I'm not sure what else would be done, unless if there is additional information that I can't find.
I hope things are improving overall.
Lastly, any idea at this point how many Novas per year (from 2019 to 2021) are expected?

Council is, in Oakville fashion, indifferent with regards to transit. Transit isn't of interest this term. It's always just that thing they send money to year over year to get people to GO trains and do their part on the environment. It is the fact that Oakville Transit isn't really that important, that OT doesn't receive the funds and long-term support it needs to grow.

For YEARS, Oakville Transit's key goal has been to, someday, have 15-min or better frequency across the network, and work towards a grid (not really possible but okay). Unfortunately, Oakville Transit is always more or less told by the Town, 'do the best you can with what you have'. Essentially, Oakville Transit does have a lot of great, grand ideas.... But the planning is based on what OT has, as oppose to what they SHOULD get. This has consistently stiffled progress. Aforementioned in addition to poor ridership stats year over year, the Town thinks of Oakville Transit as more of an appendage than a tool.

For the time being, Oakville Transit is trying, but your observations are correct. The lack of 'how to' is greatly out stripping ambitions. Essentially, over promising, and under performing. This, leading to a cycle of further neglect and criticism. It's NOT Oakville Transit's fault, but unfortunately it isn't anyone's solution either.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

Cause maybe someone from Oakville would know why we are borrowing a Welland bus. I just thought it was interesting...

Just because you see a bus from a different transit system in a different municipality does not automatically mean it has anything to do with a certain transit system. I have absolutely no idea what or why its in Oakville. It could have been a mechanic/contractor transporting it from A to B and stopped in Oakville for whatever reason.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a couple of queries on Oakville's later UltraLF.

The Andre Kristopans NABI production list includes the two 2008 UltraLF for Oakville:

8A140311-312 L4RE30-14 Pearson Bus (Oakville ON) (Blue Bird serials 8W100589-590)

These are/were 8108/9. Are these 30' or 35'?

But the list also includes another:

8A140634 L4RE.035.14 Pearson Bus (Oakville ON)

If this didn't go to Oakville, where did it go?

30 minutes ago, Feronista said:

I have a couple of queries on Oakville's later UltraLF.

The Andre Kristopans NABI production list includes the two 2008 UltraLF for Oakville:

8A140311-312 L4RE30-14 Pearson Bus (Oakville ON) (Blue Bird serials 8W100589-590)

These are/were 8108/9. Are these 30' or 35'?

But the list also includes another:

8A140634 L4RE.035.14 Pearson Bus (Oakville ON)

If this didn't go to Oakville, where did it go?

8108-8109 were 30ft.

That other bus may have been for Milton Transit who tagged onto our order in 2008. Oakville was in charge of delivery/maintenance for these buses back in 2008.

• 1 month later...

Pardon the small bump here...
However, I do recall sometime last year that it was mentioned that the 2005 D40LFs, 5103-5105, the ex London 2004 D40LF, 5106 as well as the remaining 2003 Orion VII 4101 were to be retired by the end of 2018. It's mid to almost late January and for the most part, some of these buses are still in service, with 5103 not showing up for several weeks. 
Given that there's a 3-year deal that was won by Nova Bus not too long ago, what else have changed, if anything has, including how many buses are staying or retiring, etc?
Lastly, can't really seem to find any other information regarding any big asks from Oakville Transit relating to this year's operating budget re: service improvements and expansion. What's to be expected?

• 3 weeks later...

The following service changes will be in effect as of March 3, 2019 - Visit the website for more details.

Route 1

Temporarily discontinued. Routes 5/5A and 24 will continue to provide service along Trafalgar Road. Travel between the Oakville GO station and the Uptown Core will also continue to be provided by Routes 19 and 20. For travel to and from the 407/Trafalgar carpool lot, please use GO Transit.

Route 14/14A

Replaces Route 17 to provide more frequent service to the Kerr Street community. It will also allow customers to travel to Church and Dunn, South Oakville Centre, Bronte, the RioCan Centre and Appleby GO Station in Burlington without requiring a transfer.

Home to Hub service will be available for the Reynolds Street area no longer covered by Route 14/14A.

Route 15

Return to providing service in both directions along Rebecca Street between Bronte Road and Third Line. Service to the RioCan Centre will be provided by Route 14A.

Route 17

Replaced by Route 14/14A, as noted above.

Route 18

The 5:45 p.m. departure from the Oakville GO Station is being rescheduled to 5:48 p.m. to better connect with the 5:46 p.m. train from Toronto.

Routes 19 and 20

Several minor schedule changes have been made to improve overall schedule adherence.

Fleet wise, we have 5 Nova LFS Diesel buses on order. They go on the production line February 18th with delivery for sometime in May. 4101, 5103-5106 will remain into the summer months until these new units are ready for service.

• Thanks 2
21 hours ago, J. Boic said:

The following service changes will be in effect as of March 3, 2019 - Visit the website for more details.

Route 1

Temporarily discontinued. Routes 5/5A and 24 will continue to provide service along Trafalgar Road. Travel between the Oakville GO station and the Uptown Core will also continue to be provided by Routes 19 and 20. For travel to and from the 407/Trafalgar carpool lot, please use GO Transit.

Route 14/14A

Replaces Route 17 to provide more frequent service to the Kerr Street community. It will also allow customers to travel to Church and Dunn, South Oakville Centre, Bronte, the RioCan Centre and Appleby GO Station in Burlington without requiring a transfer.

Home to Hub service will be available for the Reynolds Street area no longer covered by Route 14/14A.

Route 15

Return to providing service in both directions along Rebecca Street between Bronte Road and Third Line. Service to the RioCan Centre will be provided by Route 14A.

Route 17

Route 18

The 5:45 p.m. departure from the Oakville GO Station is being rescheduled to 5:48 p.m. to better connect with the 5:46 p.m. train from Toronto.

Routes 19 and 20

Several minor schedule changes have been made to improve overall schedule adherence.

Fleet wise, we have 5 Nova LFS Diesel buses on order. They go on the production line February 18th with delivery for sometime in May. 4101, 5103-5106 will remain into the summer months until these new units are ready for service.

Where did these route ideas come from? They're very similar to my own plans that I was gonna pitch in March. But I'm certain it's simply OT learning year over year. These are good changes! 15 to Rio Can was kinda unnecessary, but to Bronte GO would be an interesting test.

Once one of the Novas come in, is 4101 gonna be first to go? Or 5105?

2 hours ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

Where did these route ideas come from? They're very similar to my own plans that I was gonna pitch in March. But I'm certain it's simply OT learning year over year. These are good changes! 15 to Rio Can was kinda unnecessary, but to Bronte GO would be an interesting test.

Once one of the Novas come in, is 4101 gonna be first to go? Or 5105?

It really depends on their condition and whatever month their safety is up and inspection is needed which they won’t renew.

Some random comments on the Mar 3 service changes:

*  Eliminating the route 14/14A and 15 duplication in the southwest makes sense, as well as route1 (temporary).

*  With the removal of route 14/14A service along Reynolds St and replacement by the southeast Home to Hub, I could not see any mention of expanded service hours for the southeast Home to Hub, which currently is only available during Mon-Fri peak hours.

*  The changes result in three fewer buses required Mon-Fri - 1 on each of routes 1, 15 and 17.  I would assume that over time these hours would be reinvested in the growth areas in North Oakville.

On 2/5/2019 at 5:11 PM, J. Boic said:

Route 1

Route 14/14A

Route 15

Route 17

Route 18

Routes 19 and 20

There had been previous plans for the 17 to be taken over by the 14. So this isn't a surprise. Neither is the streamlining and simplification of only one route on Burloak north of Rebecca/New, instead of service duplication. I think however that the additional service to Rio Can might be a good idea in the long run knowing the kind of route that the 14 is may generate a bit more ridership perhaps. Am surprised that the Renyolds Street area has had its service eliminated entirely. I would've thought hourly based service would've sufficed with the other branch serving Kerr.

Temporarily suspending the 1 to me screams that it will be back at the primary Trafalgar-based route at a much higher frequency of about 5 minutes, without the need of the 5 or the 24 to be on Trafalgar, period. Perhaps (speculating), that Oakville wants to bring back the 1 to serve a bit more of the newly developed neighbourhood north of Dundas and east of Trafalgar while still serving the 407 Carpool (?). The White Oaks jog seems tricky to ut service in even though it's been proven to be a good ridership.
My thought has been for awhile to have the 5 operate from Burlington/407 to UTM via Uptown Core, without the 24 being around.
Has there been plans at one point in time for the 24 to not serve South Common, or any other future Oakville Transit route in general to serve there?

Would this year be when the 2011 XD40s get rebuilt? Remembering back to when the 2009 D40LFRs were rebuilt, it was in 2017, 8 years into their service lives. 

Lastly, any ambicious plans that OT has requested into the Operational or Capital Budgets?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

After reading such an interesting article about the possible amalgamation with Oakville, Burlington, Milton, Action, Georgetown and other communities. If this was to happen would we see a major merger of transit into one system like TTC, YRT and DRT?

https://www.inhalton.com/oakville-mayor-fearful-of-doug-fords-hidden-agenda-for-the-town

Honestly, it seems the more people speculate/talk about it, the more likely it could happen. To be honest, at this point I can't say I support amalgamation, not governmentally, and not in a transit sense.

The goals/visions are all too different. And back to transit, I worry amalgamation will mean one big Milton Transit - everyone here knows what that means.

I doubt forced amalgamation will lead to better service and provision, but instead cheaper, worse service in what used to be Oakville Transit and Burlington Transit, with no real improvement anywhere maybe other than an or some inter-city routes.

Put simply, I think each town, particularly Oakville and Burlington, are doing just fine for now. Amalgamation would change that.