Oakville Transit

ORION

Here are the service changes effective March 4th:

http://www.oakvilletransit.ca/tsu-18feb06.html

34 minutes ago, TransitfanJW said:

Any updates on 4102? Hasn't been out recently.

I had seen both Orions out on Wednesday.

On 2/15/2018 at 5:50 PM, 7520 said:

We received two new Arboc "Spirit of Freedom" buses this morning. #1721 and #1722. They come equipped with Hanover Displays, stop request buttons, ceiling bars and 10 forward facing seats. These buses will be used in regular service rotation along with dedicated care-a-van service. They are gas powered with regular suspension, instead of air ride.

IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

Interesting that they would be used in regular service. Perhaps on specific runs where they wouldn't be in a situation where they may be on a more busier route.

Edited by newflyerinvero

• Root Admin
15 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Re D40LFR refurbs, I noticed some members here said they went to New Flyer for them, but which location specifically? 

They are shipped by flatbed trucks to New Flyer's Arnprior, ON location, just west of Ottawa. 9111 just returned. Awaiting 9113/9112 which are the last to get done.

Both Orion VIIs 4101 and 4102 are still in service. Hearing now at least one may stay until 2019 pending its condition and nothing serious goes wrong with it. Both new Arbocs 1721 and 1722 have received their stripes and should be ready in a few weeks for service.

There should be a 40ft. tender going out around May of this year for a multi year contract for new buses. 5 for 2019, 6 for 2020 and another 6 for 2021. Also to note, the onboard/exterior cameras should all be active by Monday morning. The only buses to not receive cameras are the Orion VIIs, D40LFs and the 2006 D40LFRs.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

The tender for 40ft replacement heavy duty diesel buses has been released. This is a multi year contract. This is an independent issued tender as the Town of Oakville is no longer participating in the TPI program with Metrolinx. A few specifications to note...

Looking to add USB ports under each passenger seat for mobile device charging.
Passenger seats requested are American Seating "Vision", but also requested is cost differential, if any, for USSC Aries.
Electric door actuators for both front and rear entrance/exit doors.
HVAC system to be supplied by MCC.
Engine/Transmission to be supplied by Cummins (ISL) and Allison (B400R)
White Luminator Horizon SMT front/side/rear destination signs.

Should be interesting to see who is the lowest successful bid...

Orion VII 4102 and Blue Bird Ultra LF 8109 officially retire tonight.

Edited by 7520
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • Root Admin
2 hours ago, doug_oak said:

Confused about how many 2015 Arbocs are in the fleet.  The Wiki shows them as 1521-1524, but I have seen 1525 out in service recently.  

9201, 1121-1122, 1321-1323, 1421-1422, 1521-1525, 1621-1624, 1721-1722.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Root Admin
20 hours ago, 8058 said:

Spotted a Oakville Orion VII on a tow heading eastbound on Hwy 401 this afternoon.

4110. They're going to Scugog, ON near Port Perry to a scrapper.

We received our 2018 Grande West Vicinity buses (3 came Friday - expecting the rest this week). A few minor changes interior/exterior wise but nothing too noticeable. These are equipped with EPA18 engines and ZF transmission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Fleet Update:

We received our 8 2018 Vicinity BA30 buses from Grande West. They are currently being prepared for service. All Orion VII buses with the exception of 4102 have been scrapped. 4101 is the lone survivor still in service daily and is scheduled to stick around until February 2019 unless a major problem occurs between now and then.

In other news, the multi year tender for replacement 40ft buses closed and the results are very interesting. Both New Flyer and Nova Bus submitted bids and the winning manufacturer was Nova Bus coming in at $12,756,938. New Flyer bid $14,629,988.00. I don't have the exact number of buses that will be part of this 3 year contract yet but will provide more information soon.

2009 Arboc #9201 has been retired from service. 18xx Vicinity BA30s should enter service end of the week.

Edited by 7520

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

What's happening with the 51s for now? Especially interested in 5106. When are they due?

It had been mentioned a few months ago that they'd be retired by the end of the year or perhaps if something mechanically happens to any one of them that isn't worth fixing up. 

Speaking of which, 5104 I hadn't seen in roughly 3 or so weeks. Other then it being on the sidelines, 5103, 5 and 5106 are the regulars that have been sen either on the real-time tracker or I've seen in service. Is there any update on that if possible?

• Root Admin
On 7/10/2018 at 2:54 PM, doug_oak said:

It appears that the new Vicinity buses (1801-1808) have yet to enter service. Any indication as to when this is to happen?

Warranty work and wiring issues causing delays for service launch.

14 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

It had been mentioned a few months ago that they'd be retired by the end of the year or perhaps if something mechanically happens to any one of them that isn't worth fixing up. 

Speaking of which, 5104 I hadn't seen in roughly 3 or so weeks. Other then it being on the sidelines, 5103, 5 and 5106 are the regulars that have been sen either on the real-time tracker or I've seen in service. Is there any update on that if possible?

5104 has non working AC which won’t be repaired. It’s only used as a last resort these days with all the hot days we have had.

16 hours ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

Are the 51s gonna be auctioned off or sent straight to a scrapper? Any estimates for their dollar value "as-is".

They usually do end up in scrap. They are auctioned off but scrappers tend to get it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, ItsAMetro said:

I've noticed that UTM students get on the 24 at South Common with their U-PASS even though it only covers MiWay routes 

Subject to confirmation by the OT folks here, I would assume that it is because a UTM U-PASS is acceptable MiWay fare media and there is a "free transfer" agreement between those two transit systems. 

• 2 weeks later...