Oakville Transit

ORION

On 5/4/2021 at 2:32 PM, ORION said:

School Runs have not been operating since schools closed. I don't understand where you come up with these stupid questions.

I wouldn’t say it’s stupid. In Chatham we still have First student school buses out every morning and every afternoon same as if school was in. A kid down the street gets picked up and dropped off where he would normally just not with all the other kids. Not as many buses out but some still doing their routes. 

I had seen a LFR heading north on Dorval at a time when the 28 wasn't running, 30 minutes prior to the next 28 heading to Bronte GO.

Thought it was a school special which confused me. I just didn't consider it. My apologies to that as well as the one question about the 08 D40LFRs.

• Root Admin
19 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

I had seen a LFR heading north on Dorval at a time when the 28 wasn't running, 30 minutes prior to the next 28 heading to Bronte GO.

Thought it was a school special which confused me. I just didn't consider it. My apologies to that as well as the one question about the 08 D40LFRs.

Could have been a mechanic out for a test drive or a cover bus heading to a destination. We have a surplus of stand by drivers since our planned service expansion was delayed.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There will be a service increase, effective Sunday, September 5.   Mon-Fri peak service increases from every 30 to every 15 minutes on routes 5/5A, 14/14A and 24, requiring an additional 11 buses at that time.  In the case of route 5/5A this will be the first time for 15 minute peak service over its history since a shorter version of that route was implemented in Sept 2009.

Also, the pulse times at Oakville GO will be adjusted from 10 and 40 after the hour to 22 and 52, as a result of the implementation of 15 minute weekday service on Lakeshore West, east of Oakville.   These new pulse times are the meets for the trains that operate only to Oakville, rather than for the "through" trains operating to and from Aldershot or West Harbour.

The additional peak service on 14/14A and 24 will also depart at 07 and 37, along with peak hour only routes 26 and 120 which both have 30 minute headways.   During weekdays, routes 18 and 28, serving the Glen Abbey area of northwest Oakville will now have different pulse times, with the 18 departing at 07 and 37 and the 28 departing at 22 and 52.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, SpadinaAve2134 said:

I’m not caught up on anything regarding Oakville Transit, but why are they refurbishing some of the XD40s?

Because it’s a quarter of the price than buying a new one. They are only 10-11 years old. Can get another 5 plus years out of them. If they want to expand the fleet it’s the cheapest way. Instead of buying 5 buses they buy 4 and referb 4.(example)

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2021 at 9:00 AM, doug_oak said:

There will be a service increase, effective Sunday, September 5.   Mon-Fri peak service increases from every 30 to every 15 minutes on routes 5/5A, 14/14A and 24, requiring an additional 11 buses at that time.  In the case of route 5/5A this will be the first time for 15 minute peak service over its history since a shorter version of that route was implemented in Sept 2009.

Also, the pulse times at Oakville GO will be adjusted from 10 and 40 after the hour to 22 and 52, as a result of the implementation of 15 minute weekday service on Lakeshore West, east of Oakville.   These new pulse times are the meets for the trains that operate only to Oakville, rather than for the "through" trains operating to and from Aldershot or West Harbour.

The additional peak service on 14/14A and 24 will also depart at 07 and 37, along with peak hour only routes 26 and 120 which both have 30 minute headways.   During weekdays, routes 18 and 28, serving the Glen Abbey area of northwest Oakville will now have different pulse times, with the 18 departing at 07 and 37 and the 28 departing at 22 and 52.

I'm not quite sure if this is specific to those trains which terminate at Oakville GO for the main pulose departure for most routes to be roughly 15 minutes later. It's the through trains from Union towards Aldershot and West Harbour which wouldn't be as lucky during the midday as the only buses they'd see about 10 minutes after their trains arrive are the 4-4-East, 5 and the 18, unless it's past 2pm and into the PM peak of seeing the 10, 11 (at :52), 14, 24 and 120. The passengers  on the trains coming from Aldesrhot and West Harbour would be the lucky ones to see the most routes at Oakville GO during the midday and peak periods.

I'm really hoping the different departure times at both Bronte and Oakvlille GOs can help give a better feeling of more options without feeling that because both are there at those stations at the same time, maybe  maximizing the amount of people per trip. Here's hoping. 
The area around Dorval and North Service would see different service times too.

18: (Bronte GO): :17, :47; (Oakville GO) :10, :40;
28: (Bronte GO): :02, :32; (Oakville GO) :24, :54.

In terms of the rest of the changes, they're pretty good. Understanable that they're not all teh way back with full service like no midday service on the 12 and half-hourly peak service on the 11, including interlining with teh 12. 190 isn't back yet and I don't see the 121 coming back at all. 
The rest of the 15 minute peak serviceson the 13, 19, 20 and midday/Saturday service on the 26 aren't back yet.

Love seeing the 5/5A getting full 30 minute base service 7 days a week. Also its return to Dundas would also mean that residents along Sixteen Mile Drive adn Wheat Boom will have hourly service as its base service on Sundays and 30 minutes during peak hours.

The only route on weekdays that hasn't really changed schedule-wise, is the 6. From what I have read, it looks that it has only one full hour between 4:30 and 5:30 of 30 minute service whereas on all other time periods, it's hourly.
Given that covid has all but killed its  ridership on that route, what is its furture looking like?

Lastly, weekend service on all other routes apart from the 5/5A, 14/14A and 24 are all hourly. Guessing ridership isn't back yet to have the previous 30 minute services return as well as other routes that would've gotten weekend 30 minute frequencies had covid not been a thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

2021 Nova LFS #2025 was involved in a major collision with a fixed object at the Oakville GO station last weekend and will need extensive repairs.

I am doubtful the bus will return to service anytime soon. “Guesstimate” is spring/summer 2022 but I don’t know for sure. Damage is estimated to be in the 6 figures.

2012 NFI XD40 #1303 has returned from refurb.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

I was on the GO Train heading back to Hamilton today and i noticed something out of the corner of my eye sitting in a graveyard. I only got a very short look at it but it looked like a Oakville Nova all parted out sitting in the back corner dead. Like i said i only got a very short look at it. I know 2025 was in a crash but idk if it was retired. Can someone confirm on this?

Which scrapyard did you see it at?

1 hour ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

I was on the GO Train heading back to Hamilton today and i noticed something out of the corner of my eye sitting in a graveyard. I only got a very short look at it but it looked like a Oakville Nova all parted out sitting in the back corner dead. Like i said i only got a very short look at it. I know 2025 was in a crash but idk if it was retired. Can someone confirm on this?

It honestly just depends on how bad the damage is, but considering the bus is brand new it should be out on the road within Summer/Spring 2022   Like what Orion said.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised I didn't hear this on the news but only found out from Oakville Transit's website:

Oakville Transit drivers and maintenance workers give notice of strike starting Thursday, February 17, 2022

Mon, 14 Feb 2022

All regular bus service suspended. Town encourages transit customers to make alternative travel arrangements

The Town of Oakville and Oakville Transit union Unifor Local 1256, which represents Oakville Transit drivers and maintenance workers, have been negotiating a new collective agreement to reach a fair and balanced settlement. However, after reaching a tentative agreement last week, the union notified the town Sunday night that the settlement was not ratified by its members and have given notice of strike action as of 5 a.m., Thursday, February 17, 2022.

There will be no regular bus service or Home to Hub service as of Thursday morning. Oakville Transit’s specialized care-A-van service will continue to operate for dialysis appointments only.

The Collective Agreement with Unifor Local 1256 expired on January 31, 2022. It is not unusual for labour negotiations to continue past the expiry of a collective agreement, and contract negotiations between the town and the union had been ongoing. The union and the town’s bargaining teams reached a tentative settlement on February 8. The tentative settlement was recommended to the members by the union’s bargaining team, however union members unexpectedly rejected this settlement in a ratification vote on February 13, and have indicated that strike action will begin on Thursday.

The town appreciates everyone’s patience and cooperation during this time.

For updates, visit the Oakville Transit website, the Town of Oakville website and follow @townofoakville or @oakvilletransit on Twitter and Town of Oakville or Oakville Transit on Facebook.

Quote:

“We are extremely disappointed that Unifor members have turned down a fair and reasonable settlement after bargaining in good faith, and left just 48 hours to let the public know about a strike. The town remains prepared to meet with the union to reach a resolution and get Oakville Transit services back on the road.”

Phoebe Fu, Commissioner, Community Infrastructure.

On 2/14/2022 at 4:18 PM, Gil said:

I'm surprised I didn't hear this on the news but only found out from Oakville Transit's website:

Oakville Transit drivers and maintenance workers give notice of strike starting Thursday, February 17, 2022

Mon, 14 Feb 2022

All regular bus service suspended. Town encourages transit customers to make alternative travel arrangements

The Town of Oakville and Oakville Transit union Unifor Local 1256, which represents Oakville Transit drivers and maintenance workers, have been negotiating a new collective agreement to reach a fair and balanced settlement. However, after reaching a tentative agreement last week, the union notified the town Sunday night that the settlement was not ratified by its members and have given notice of strike action as of 5 a.m., Thursday, February 17, 2022.

There will be no regular bus service or Home to Hub service as of Thursday morning. Oakville Transit’s specialized care-A-van service will continue to operate for dialysis appointments only.

The Collective Agreement with Unifor Local 1256 expired on January 31, 2022. It is not unusual for labour negotiations to continue past the expiry of a collective agreement, and contract negotiations between the town and the union had been ongoing. The union and the town’s bargaining teams reached a tentative settlement on February 8. The tentative settlement was recommended to the members by the union’s bargaining team, however union members unexpectedly rejected this settlement in a ratification vote on February 13, and have indicated that strike action will begin on Thursday.

The town appreciates everyone’s patience and cooperation during this time.

For updates, visit the Oakville Transit website, the Town of Oakville website and follow @townofoakville or @oakvilletransit on Twitter and Town of Oakville or Oakville Transit on Facebook.

Quote:

“We are extremely disappointed that Unifor members have turned down a fair and reasonable settlement after bargaining in good faith, and left just 48 hours to let the public know about a strike. The town remains prepared to meet with the union to reach a resolution and get Oakville Transit services back on the road.”

Phoebe Fu, Commissioner, Community Infrastructure.

I've felt that while there's no news of contract negoitiations, it means that it's out of hte media and all of the main and minor details can be taken care of without lots of people taking sides and whom to blame, which doesn't look good for either side. These hard-working mean and women are truly heroes whom many appreciate that have been doing really amazing work especially during covid.

They deserve what they're asking for. I've been very grateful for their service, even at the modified service levels. Keeps the town moving.
While I think OT can be a better system, I'm still very fortunate to have bus service at minimum, every 30 minutes from a combined two routes (18 and 28) on weekends and every 15 minutes from combined two routes (18 and 28) around the area of Dorval and North Service Road.