Oakville Transit

ORION

• Root Admin
14 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Is this order going to be a multi-year tender and order, or individual tenders and orders, possibly resulting in more than one bus model?

Nothing set it stone yet. Still in the planning stages. It will be awhile before we see any Electric bus on property.

• Root Admin
6 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

I will drop this here,

I’m not an Oakville expert, but I did see this on bid&tenders,

an RFI for 25’ and 30’ electrics for “specialize and Demand service” and the charging equipment.

https://oakville.bidsandtenders.ca/Module/Tenders/en/Tender/Detail/a03b2b65-4081-4ece-b37f-9109c6951508

Currently that is the only active tender out for an RFI for electrics

Exactly. "Request for Information".

he para-transit fleet will be the first electric order for us. We are still waiting for the consultants to come back with their reports/recommendations, and then the town will need to agree to the costs, which will be very interesting, as they're expected to be the most money ever spent in the history of Oakville.

On 12/23/2020 at 9:00 PM, doug_oak said:

From the 2021 Town of Oakville capital budget -

*   A significant capital budget ask for 10 conventional electric buses (7 replacement, 3 expansion) at at cost of $10.4 million, one expansion specialized electric bus costing $0.5 million, and electric bus charging infrastructure $2.5 million.

Brought this forward.  So yes, a total capital budget amount of $13.4 million for new buses (including charging) would be by far the highest annual amount ever.  The two highest previous years would likely be 2009 (15 New Flyer D40LFRs) and 2019 (11 Nova LFS).  

I suspect it would not be a multi-year contract at this time, but perhaps in a few years if there is a preferred choice by then.  As far as the initial tender is concerned, it is helpful to have the TTC nearby and hard testing 60 buses from three different vendors.

On 2/22/2021 at 12:37 PM, G.A said:

Thanks for the info! Interesting number configuration they have for that order.

Agree that the 2021-2027 numbering for the new LFS is strange, particularly given that for the past 10 years the YY2x number series has been assigned to the specialized (Arboc) units used for Care-A-Van and Home to Hub.

Given OT's commitment to electric buses going forward, perhaps there is a new plan to have the BEBs use the 01-20 numbers, with the diesels numbered 21 and above.  Not sure where the specialized BEBs would fit into that plan. 

On 2/11/2021 at 10:56 PM, ORION said:

It was finally picked up last night, and the “driver” had no clue what button did what, let alone figuring out where the parking brake was. Apparently it was a “school bus” driver. I wonder what they’ll do with it.

Is that the one sitting in the front lot of Jutzi Auctioneers on Fountain St N, across from Waterloo Regional Airport?

If not, another one has been there for about the last two weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

#1905 now wrapped for Healthy Planet.

5 of the new LFS have had their corporate decals applied. Still waiting on presto installs/plates and some minor modifications.

#1203 is also back from refurb. It has some engine issues so waiting on repairs. #1204 should be back any day now. 

1443E071-430A-456C-86DE-0114D594EBF7.jpeg

7E55C044-870D-4C96-AFAC-4379FE41CBC2.jpeg

F017E389-BF1E-4DEE-B8FA-D4697F45C332.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 3:44 PM, ORION said:

#6107 left this afternoon just before 3pm with its new owners, driving it to Windsor.

This was the  last 2006 on property. 

94D502DF-AC06-4794-B047-BA509D1AAB57.jpeg

E43558FB-9F33-42DA-B820-EDCA85B36C0C.jpeg

6107 and also 6111 also made it down here to windsor

• Thanks 1

Effetive Sunday, May 2nd, increased service to every 30 minutes on weekdays to Routes 13 -West Oak Trails, 18 - Glen Abbey South, 19 - River Oaks, 20 - Northridge & 28 - Glen Abbey North will be in effect.

https://www.oakvilletransit.ca/docs/ot-covid19-schedules-effective-21may02.pdf

Seat restrictions are also in effect.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MaT said:

I looked at the Kijiji seller's other vehicles and of everything on offer including the bus, there's only two there that make the cut for Oakville: the 2012 Mercedez Benz CLS, getting a bit old but would be fine as a second car, and the Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas which they've got mislabelled as a Vanden Plus.  It's Vanden Plas.  It looks like it's in beautiful shape and fast becoming a classic.  That's Oakville Transit suitable to be seen crusing down Lakeshore Rd. in.

Seriously, it is pretty wild seeing a bus with dealer plates on it.  And someone at Oakville Transit's going to get in trouble tomorrow morning for that incomplete de-branding job there.  Sullying the fine town by allowing it to become associated with...a used car lot...in east Windsor...is not likely to go over well with the powers that be.

• Root Admin
8 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I looked at the Kijiji seller's other vehicles and of everything on offer including the bus, there's only two there that make the cut for Oakville: the 2012 Mercedez Benz CLS, getting a bit old but would be fine as a second car, and the Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas which they've got mislabelled as a Vanden Plus.  It's Vanden Plas.  It looks like it's in beautiful shape and fast becoming a classic.  That's Oakville Transit suitable to be seen crusing down Lakeshore Rd. in.

Seriously, it is pretty wild seeing a bus with dealer plates on it.  And someone at Oakville Transit's going to get in trouble tomorrow morning for that incomplete de-branding job there.  Sullying the fine town by allowing it to become associated with...a used car lot...in east Windsor...is not likely to go over well with the powers that be.

All corporate lettering has been removed. The stripe design and colors is not trademarked by the town. Nothing illegal. Buses used to be send to scrap/sale with nothing removed back in the days.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ORION said:

All corporate lettering has been removed. The stripe design and colors is not trademarked by the town. Nothing illegal. Buses used to be send to scrap/sale with nothing removed back in the days.

They got all that stuff but missed wiping the website from the electronic sign.

6 hours ago, ORION said:

The Dealer that brought these two buses will sell them in South America, they most likely have a buyer, these are not the first buses they have sold, they have had a number of  DND  buses still in the DND paint and they went south also.

20 hours ago, Bernie said:

The Dealer that brought these two buses will sell them in South America, they most likely have a buyer, these are not the first buses they have sold, they have had a number of  DND  buses still in the DND paint and they went south also.

Cool.  In either case, I'm glad the buses are being put to good use instead of perfectly good vehicles getting scrapped.  I'm still kind of surprised that the data in the electronic sign controller wasn't wiped before they let that one go though, so it's complete with the website and other Oakville Transit branding as soon as it's started up and the power comes on.  Being parked at that east Windsor used car lot with the Oakville stuff on the display whenever the power's on is a bit disjointed.  That car lot dosen't strike me as the kind of place that serves you champagne and caviar while the people in the back office finish up your purchase agreement.  More like beat up 1970s coin operated coffee vending machine in the corner, and definitely not up to Oakville standards.

The planned service increases, effective May 3rd have been postponed due to the extension of the stay-at-home order.

Given that D40LFRs 8102-8104 haven't seen service in many months and have been deemed unreliable, any decision on whether they'll be sticking around, or retiring earlier if it means that there'd be plenty of buses to operate the kind of sevice that's happening now and for the foreseeable future, too?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

The new 2021 built LFS buses are in service starting today. Some teething issues in terms of AVL tracking so they were sent back to the shop to get looked at. 

I had #2026 for about two hours. Here it is with #7101, which is the oldest unit left in service.

D067F81E-F42F-46D3-9A55-7D0DE8971954.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ORION said:

The new 2021 built LFS buses are in service starting today. Some teething issues in terms of AVL tracking so they were sent back to the shop to get looked at. 

I had #2026 for about two hours. Here it is with #7101, which is the oldest unit left in service.

D067F81E-F42F-46D3-9A55-7D0DE8971954.jpeg

Do they have the new or old driver's window?

• Root Admin
18 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

Given that online learning is still taking place, why are there still school specials operating?

School Runs have not been operating since schools closed. I don't understand where you come up with these stupid questions.

• Thanks 1