Oakville Transit

ORION

On 12/23/2020 at 10:07 PM, doug_oak said:

Starting January 3, all routes will operate on 60 minute headways at all times during the week.  As a result, peak Mon-Fri requirements will be 23 buses, and off-peak requirements at all other times will be 17 buses (the difference results from the six routes that provide only Mon-Fri peak hour service:  10, 11, 12, 26, 34 and 120).   

Oakville has added back three peak Mon-Fri buses to the schedule, two to 5/5A-Dundas and one to 3-Third Line.  This improves the peak headways on those two routes, which serve Oakville-Trafalgar Memorial Hospital, from 60 to 30 minutes.   All off peak service continues to be at 60 minute intervals.

On 12/23/2020 at 10:07 PM, doug_oak said:

The provincial lockdown effective December 26 has again resulted in a significant reduction in Oakville service levels effective Sunday, January 3.  These reductions are from the September service levels, which were already well below pre-COVID levels.

Starting January 3, all routes will operate on 60 minute headways at all times during the week.  As a result, peak Mon-Fri requirements will be 23 buses, and off-peak requirements at all other times will be 17 buses (the difference results from the six routes that provide only Mon-Fri peak hour service:  10, 11, 12, 26, 34 and 120).   Operating a fleet of 100 conventional buses, the spare ratio is approx. 75% - clearly a sign of these difficult times.

Doug, is the operational budget for this year the same amount of service hours, but would be gradually be brought back as things improve?

Or, and this is based on something I had heard from one of the road supervisors for Oakville Transit.
He mentioned to me that once the lockdown is lifted, that Oakville Transit is willing to put forward, at minimum, 30 minute frequencies on all routes, 7 days a week as they had been looking at similar covid response plans with the neighbouring agencies in Mississauga and Burlington and feel that they'd want to learn from the mistake of not only limiting capacity to half of a 40 foot bus, but also having hourly frequency.
To be honest, I'm not sure if that's what would happen, but it does sound very promising at the very least.

And is Oakville Transit looking at some route structure changes to respond to any changing travel patterns, post-pandemic?

Edited by newflyerinvero

9 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Doug, is the operational budget for this year the same amount of service hours, but would be gradually be brought back as things improve?

Or, and this is based on something I had heard from one of the road supervisors for Oakville Transit.
He mentioned to me that once the lockdown is lifted, that Oakville Transit is willing to put forward, at minimum, 30 minute frequencies on all routes, 7 days a week as they had been looking at similar covid response plans with the neighbouring agencies in Mississauga and Burlington and feel that they'd want to learn from the mistake of not only limiting capacity to half of a 40 foot bus, but also having hourly frequency.
To be honest, I'm not sure if that's what would happen, but it does sound very promising at the very least.

And is Oakville Transit looking at some route structure changes to respond to any changing travel patterns, post-pandemic?

The answer to all that can be inferred from what has just happened - service adjustments to two routes that were identified as being needed and that took place five days after a previous change.  So, planning horizons will continue to be short for at least the next several months.  Even after that, I would anticipate that transit service levels would be gradually restored based on demand levels as they develop over time.  A "minimum 30 minute service at all times" approach post-COVID seems to be very doubtful, particularly given that was not nearly the case prior to March 2020.

• Root Admin
15 hours ago, doug_oak said:

The answer to all that can be inferred from what has just happened - service adjustments to two routes that were identified as being needed and that took place five days after a previous change.  So, planning horizons will continue to be short for at least the next several months.  Even after that, I would anticipate that transit service levels would be gradually restored based on demand levels as they develop over time.  A "minimum 30 minute service at all times" approach post-COVID seems to be very doubtful, particularly given that was not nearly the case prior to March 2020.

We probably won’t be back to pre COVID service levels until at least the fall.

• Root Admin
2 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

I was surprised to find Vicinities 1609 and 1709 in service during PM peak now.

I'm curious what has happened to 2008 D40LFRs #s 8102, 8103,, 8104 & 8105?

The Vicinity buses have returned to service. 

the 81s are very unreliable. They come and go from the shop.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin
1 hour ago, Transit 20 said:

6104 is here in kitchener at a private dealership

149397870_3495439147249122_2223986123923689954_n.jpg

It was finally picked up last night, and the “driver” had no clue what button did what, let alone figuring out where the parking brake was. Apparently it was a “school bus” driver. I wonder what they’ll do with it.

• Root Admin
6 minutes ago, G.A said:

Thanks for the update! Do have the new high visibility package?

No, this order is the last of the multi year agreement with Nova, therefore they are identical to the 19xx series. There are slight cosmetic changes to the inside and outside but nothing major. The driver seat now has the 3 point seat belt however.

I had noticed last week that the seat restrictions have been removed about a week or so on 40 foot buses. Unsure about the Vicinities as I haven't been on one during the most recent lockdown.

Meanwhile, pre-lockdown service returns as of Sunday, February 28th:

https://www.oakvilletransit.ca/tsu-20dec22.html

I do have a question regarding the electric buses for this year and the next few years.

Is this order going to be a multi-year tender and order, or individual tenders and orders, possibly resulting in more than one bus model?