Onestop Screens

The first new screen is up at Downtown West/Kerby station, replacing one of the existing LED signs on each side. Really nice screens, high res and colourful - they're a pleasure to look at (which I guess is the point :P).

In addition to advertising, there are also real time train arrivals linked in to it which are continually (even during full screen ads) displayed along the bottom in a clear and attractive format. The train arrival predictions update several times per minute, much more frequently than the existing LED boards (since their 2015 redesign). also they spelled 'Saddletowne' correctly which I greatly appreciate.

Thanks to @Gsgeek540 for the tip. Looking forward to seeing more of these installed around the system!

IMG_20170327_181518.jpg IMG_20170327_181810.jpg IMG_20170327_181427.jpg IMG_20170327_184331.jpg

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ADB said:

Looks just like what we've got in Toronto. If there's one complaint, though, it's that the arrival time is not nearly big enough.

Ya, but then there'd be less space for advertising :P.

Do the Toronto ones play audio ads? Edmonton's do, but the one here so far doesn't and I'm hopeful it will stay that way.

4 minutes ago, 1604 said:

Ya, but then there'd be less space for advertising :P.

Do the Toronto ones play audio ads? Edmonton's do, but the one here so far doesn't and I'm hopeful it will stay that way.

Ah yes, the advertising... Same here, but like Calgary, they're silent.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at the photos again the other day and I realized: the train icon is not a generic clip art train symbol... but actually an S200. Really cool that someone went to the time and effort to create that just for us.

They've updated the display slightly. Removed the Calgary logo in the upper right, the blue along the bottom is darker now, and 'Please stand back, train approaching' was replaced with a phrase you may have heard once or twice before: 'Please stand behind the yellow line'

And I'm not sure if this suggests a large replacement of the existing LED signs is coming or not, but I also noticed the screen has gone up on the exact same mounting bracket as the LED sign it replaced.

IMG_20170415_175251.jpg IMG_20170415_174847.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/15/2017 at 10:43 PM, 1604 said:

I was looking at the photos again the other day and I realized: the train icon is not a generic clip art train symbol... but actually an S200. Really cool that someone went to the time and effort to create that just for us.

They've updated the display slightly. Removed the Calgary logo in the upper right, the blue along the bottom is darker now, and 'Please stand back, train approaching' was replaced with a phrase you may have heard once or twice before: 'Please stand behind the yellow line'

And I'm not sure if this suggests a large replacement of the existing LED signs is coming or not, but I also noticed the screen has gone up on the exact same mounting bracket as the LED sign it replaced.

IMG_20170415_175251.jpg IMG_20170415_174847.jpg

The screen layout is very similar to the Toronto subway - not surprising as they have been using Pattison Onestop for years.

But the one on C-Train stands out for a number of reasons for which the TTC should follow suit:

1. It shows the destination of the next train, which is necessary on C-Train since there are multiple routes for trains calling at this platform. While this is not so anywhere in the TTC, it would be useful since there are the occasional short-turns and to avoid confusing passengers who may be on the wrong platform.
  2. It shows the duration until the next two trains. The TTC only shows the time for one train, but showing the next train after that would be useful since you would know how long you would have to wait if you miss the next one - particularly late at night when trains aren't that frequent.
  3. It alerts passengers to stand clear when a train is approaching, possibly with an automated announcement. The TTC only shows "next train is in the station" which is quite insufficient and does not take in account passengers' safety. Furthermore, on the TTC, the message appears only when the train has already entered the platform area and disappears once the train has stopped, and does not trigger any automated announcement.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The existing LED signs at 6th Street, 7th Street, and 8th Street Stations have been taken down. I guess it'll just be the OneStop screens providing info at downtown stations in the near future. Hopefully they can do a good job of communicating info about delays/disruptions.

6 st.jpg

Not sure if they can reuse the mounts at those stations because they're a different design than the ones at Kerby.

On 5/10/2017 at 5:56 PM, Transit geek said:

It alerts passengers to stand clear when a train is approaching, possibly with an automated announcement. The TTC only shows "next train is in the station" which is quite insufficient and does not take in account passengers' safety. Furthermore, on the TTC, the message appears only when the train has already entered the platform area and disappears once the train has stopped, and does not trigger any automated announcement.

Yeah, there are several different announcements that are played, though they're part of the existing train info system. Tons of signage/announcements telling people to stand behind the yellow line here. ;)

• Like 1

Existing signs at 4th Street, 3rd Street, and 1st Street Stations are down now too.

Just Kerby, Centre St, and City Hall still remaining on 7th Ave, the latter two of which will probably be sign-less by this time tomorrow.

23 hours ago, 1604 said:

Not sure if they can reuse the mounts at those stations because they're a different design than the ones at Kerby.

Turns out they sure can. New brackets are up on the mounts at 8th and 7th Streets:

7 st.jpg

Signs are up at City Hall (and the Suntronic screens are coming down), and are up and working at 1st, 6th, 7th, and 8th Street stations.

1.jpg 2.jpg

I quite like the colour coded train times and how the next train for each line is shown (and in the same place) regardless of order. And I'm glad the public info messages shown on the LED signs are also displayed on these. Plus you can figure out which train is actually in the station (groundbreaking!) by the colour behind the yellow line text, albeit not 100% reliably.

I'm not thrilled by how much smaller the train time text is compared to the LED signs. But my main concern is whether these signs can provide the same amount of info and detail regarding disruptions as the signs they replaced. They're brand new so it's far too early to jump to any conclusions, but today it was close to 40 minutes between the time I heard the first PA about the situation at Marlborough and when I saw the first message shown on these screens, and even then it offered less detail than the LED sign message or the PAs.

3.jpg

• Like 3

I have a picture of one of them showing a train to Crowfoot, in blue, but I can't upload it right now. 

The other ones I've seen downtown seem a bit off in times, which is odd because the first one at Kirby was more accurate than the old signs that were up at the time. 

I've seen them show blue line trains to Crowfoot, as well as blue line trains to Somerset. There's also a sign on the north side of Kerby which is showing times for trains to 6th Street (the times shown are accurate for 69 St trains so I guess they just typo'd '69th Street' or something...the reason they're so long in the picture is because it was taken right when the Marlborough closure was going down).

7st crowfoot.jpg kerby 6st.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Good. That's much more important that whatever weird international news is in in the background. I find the flashy news stories get in the way of the actual information, and I'm not sure why they include them. People can get news by phone or newspaper more effectively

1 hour ago, DarkKeyo said:

Good. That's much more important that whatever weird international news is in in the background. I find the flashy news stories get in the way of the actual information, and I'm not sure why they include them. People can get news by phone or newspaper more effectively

In all fairness to the content, they are pattisons monitors, not transit, meaning that they theoretically have control of the content. Not transit. 

They were officially introduced to transit staff today in the weekly news clips.

The new screens are owned, managed and maintained by PATTISON at no cost to Calgary Transit. The screens display upcoming CTrain arrivals and service alerts, plus the time, weather, sports, news headlines and advertising.

The remainder of the screens will be installed on platforms over the next 16 months, beginning on the Blue Line.

• Like 2

As of yesterday, the old real time signs were gone from all the west line stations except for Westbrook.

What's interesting is the new signs aren't going up where the old signs were. Instead, they've taken down a way finding sign and that's where the mount for the new sign is. Dunno what they're going to do with the old, now empty sign mounts, and it looks like we're going from 2 signs per platform to 1. 

69st.jpg

5 hours ago, Gsgeek540 said:

Global is run by shaw and since we talked last night, i thought about it and with shaw providing wifi to transit platforms, it makes sense.

Shaw sold Global to Corus. Global's partnership with Pattison is nationwide from Vancouver to Halifax.

• 4 weeks later...

New screens are up at each station on the west leg. Old signs gone from all stations except Westbrook, which has them still up and running in addition to the new ones. It's sort of a toss up between which ones update first...sometimes the new ones do, sometimes the old ones do.