roeco

Saskatchewan Transportation Shutting Down!!

5 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Still could be them, as lots of companies do not comment about rumors until deals are finalized 

Very true. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks.

Greyhound should now be able to do quite well on the Highway #1 & 16 corridors. They will no longer be restricted to only picking up passengers going beyond the SK border. They can now carry somebody going from Yorkton to Saskatoon etc on 16.Same from Regina to Moose Jaw etc.on #1. They could also pick up the Regina-Saskatoon- PA corridor to connect with their East-West routes.

Highway 11 makes sense for Greyhound but apparently they aren't looking at it.

Honestly the rest of the province outside of highway 1/11/16 is probably hooped in terms of bus service. 

7 hours ago, Don R. said:

Greyhound should now be able to do quite well on the Highway #1 & 16 corridors. They will no longer be restricted to only picking up passengers going beyond the SK border. They can now carry somebody going from Yorkton to Saskatoon etc on 16.Same from Regina to Moose Jaw etc.on #1. They could also pick up the Regina-Saskatoon- PA corridor to connect with their East-West routes.

I didnt know they we're restricted on the 1 and 16 corridors?? Regina-stoon-PA would make sense for Greyhound, also some of STC assets since their buses and trailers are same configuration as Greyhound, and I think STC carried alot of passengers and freight between Regina and Saskatoon! Def gonna have to find new depots in Regina and possibly Saskatoon.

• Like 1

If Greyhound assumes operation of any STC routes, the STC drivers would be entitled to follow their work into Greyhound. They even belong to the same local of the ATU.

Union ticket agents & express clerks would also be entitled to the same consideration.

Are there lessons to be learned from this?  Could they have possibly restructured the company to run more efficiently? Do something to encourage more riders?

On 3/26/2017 at 9:20 AM, Don R. said:

If Greyhound assumes operation of any STC routes, the STC drivers would be entitled to follow their work into Greyhound. They even belong to the same local of the ATU.

Union ticket agents & express clerks would also be entitled to the same consideration.

If a company that is not union assumes any ex STC routes I dont believe they would have the same entitlement! And should be interesting to see how it plays out with Greyhound at the shared STC agencies and especially GCX as Stc was their onsite agent for everything incluidng the terminals.

5 hours ago, Shaun said:

Are there lessons to be learned from this?  Could they have possibly restructured the company to run more efficiently? Do something to encourage more riders?

Sure their are a lot of ways they could have changed STC, but for some reason it never was changed. Some routes could have been made so u had to connect to go to certain places instead of just direct service. Also I dont see why STC would not have just been down sized to certain routes and the rest either contraced out or Abandoned.  Like if they only made profits on 2-3 routes just keep those operating, they also could have kept their Package Express service operating on some of the better routes where they had good volume and made $$ and just used smaller freight vehicles. 

On 3/25/2017 at 0:05 PM, Don R. said:

On 3/24/2017 at 10:48 AM, TheAverageJoe said:

Still could be them, as lots of companies do not comment about rumors until deals are finalized heir are only 3 large companies I know of

Could even be First or Pacific Western??

On 3/28/2017 at 9:16 AM, Don R. said:

Pacific Western might like to set up a "Red Arrow" type of service between Regina & Saskatoon, & maybe on to PA as well?

Good possibility, That corridor wont set idle for long as I can imagine their is quite a demand. I think u will see Regina-Saskatoon-Prince Albert service from Someone. And Im wondering if u wont see Alsask Bus LInes run all the way to Saskatoon, they currently only go to Alsask and connect with STC. But if they want to continue operating that corridor they may have no choice but to go all the way as a Greyhound interline partner or abandon the corridor as theirs no demand for just Calgary to Alsask!

You've also got to remember now Greyhound will have No choice but to set up their own Express and P&D in both Saskatoon and Regina and I think they may even have to do the Same in Moose Jaw. Im not sure how it works in places like Yorkton,Swift Current or North Battleford? They will also have to figure out what their gonna do interm for passenger depots in the affected locations, maybe they can stay in their current locations for now..! 

6 hours ago, Shaun said:

Is there not a mandate to serve remote communities regardless of if it looses money or not?

Yes, and so rather than even change its mandate, they shut it down.

So far, three companies have come forward about doing routes.

AV Transit is going to do a route running between Saskatoon, Martensville, and Warman. This one looks like it was probably being planned long before the shutdown of STC was announced.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/private-company-saskatoon-shuttle-1.4063498

In addition, a transport company is looking at doing a run between Yorkton and Regina

http://regina.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1098943

Finally, a limo company.

http://leaderpost.com/news/saskatchewan/saskatchewan-limo-company-hopes-to-fill-stc-void-with-launch-of-provincial-transportation-arm

There have been a number of protests, rallies, and letter writing campaigns to try to save STC, but I fear it is in vain. If STC is doomed, I'm hoping for Greyhound or Red Arrow to setup a run between Saskatoon and Regina relatively quickly.

43 minutes ago, SirFrimFram said:

So far, three companies have come forward about doing routes.

AV Transit is going to do a route running between Saskatoon, Martensville, and Warman. This one looks like it was probably being planned long before the shutdown of STC was announced.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/private-company-saskatoon-shuttle-1.4063498

In addition, a transport company is looking at doing a run between Yorkton and Regina

http://regina.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1098943

Finally, a limo company.

http://leaderpost.com/news/saskatchewan/saskatchewan-limo-company-hopes-to-fill-stc-void-with-launch-of-provincial-transportation-arm

There have been a number of protests, rallies, and letter writing campaigns to try to save STC, but I fear it is in vain. If STC is doomed, I'm hoping for Greyhound or Red Arrow to setup a run between Saskatoon and Regina relatively quickly.

I would think Regina-Saskatoon-PA will be picked up by someone that was STC's most profitable routes.

• Like 1

Kinda interesting a limo company has applied to take over ALL STC routes...thats a big undertaking...including parcel service. And they said they may be interested in some of STC assets... Especially to have it all running by late May.  They would be smart to do an interline deal with Greyhound to feed freight cause that could be a very crucial part of their business. And terminals are gonna be interesting too..! 

7 hours ago, roeco said:

Kinda interesting a limo company has applied to take over ALL STC routes...thats a big undertaking...including parcel service. And they said they may be interested in some of STC assets... Especially to have it all running by late May.  They would be smart to do an interline deal with Greyhound to feed freight cause that could be a very crucial part of their business. And terminals are gonna be interesting too..! 

Looking at their current fleet, I wonder what units they could commit to running routes starting May 23.

http://www.cdlimo.com/fleet/

Assuming this is the company.

20 hours ago, SirFrimFram said:

Looking at their current fleet, I wonder what units they could commit to running routes starting May 23.

http://www.cdlimo.com/fleet/

Assuming this is the company.

Yep thats it, apparently they have 22 vehicles and access to more if needed. They got quite a big job ahead of them especially since they want to assume the stc network on may 23. I would think they may have to re configure some of the existing services in a big way. Well see how many other services pop up in the next month or so

Yep thats it, apparently they have 22 vehicles and access to more if needed. They got quite a big job ahead of them especially since they want to assume the stc network on may 23. I would think they may have to re configure some of the existing services in a big way. Well see how many other services pop up in the next month or so

I wonder if those are 22 purpose built vehicles (ie: their 22 passenger buses) or if that's including their party buses/limos.

I would think its a bit of everything...but I think they have quite a few mini coaches too. I doubt u will c a 7 passenger limo on a run. But it does say they have access to more if needed, including coaches.

I would think its a bit of everything...but I think they have quite a few mini coaches too. I doubt u will c a 7 passenger limo on a run. But it does say they have access to more if needed, including coaches.

Yeah. I wish there was more information. I travelled several times between Saskatoon and Regina last summer, and plan on doing the same thing. I just hope the service is comparable, and not too pricey. I imagine they'll try to purchase a good chunk of STC's fleet. I also wonder if they plan on eventually operating out of STC's terminals.

My guess is that they would try and avoid the terminals, especially the one in Regina, very nice facility, probably the nicest bus depot in Western Canada, but too large.  Lean and mean is the way to go, give passengers a clean warm place to wait for the bus, and that's it.

My guess is that they would try and avoid the terminals, especially the one in Regina, very nice facility, probably the nicest bus depot in Western Canada, but too large.  Lean and mean is the way to go, give passengers a clean warm place to wait for the bus, and that's it.

Perhaps. Hopefully wherever they end up choosing in Regina and Saskatoon they'll be a decent spot, close to city transit, etc.