Saskatchewan Transportation Shutting Down!!

roeco

1 hour ago, roeco said:

Is their not a place where u can see what companies applied for what routes with HTB in Saskatchewan?? Its really odd they would keep it a big secret! Plus i think only Carpe diem is only one besides Di Cal with approval?

None have approval just yet. Meaning on June 1, there won't be ANY bus service that isn't interprovincial running in the province.

http://www.publications.gov.sk.ca/deplist.cfm?d=1&c=5107 This is all I can find. The latest releases show who's applied, but that's it. on the SaveSTC fb group, some of the members found out the dates of the hearings for some of the private operators like Carpe Diem and DiCal. Because groups like SaveSTC filed appeals with the traffic board, effectively ALL of the companies have to have hearings before the board before they can commence passenger operations. To be honest, this was one move that I thought was kind of stupid for the SAVE STC group only because it results in a gap of service for everybody.

According to a few members of that group, Greyhound isn't really interested in taking over anything in Saskatchewan which I question, but it will be interesting to see what happens here. If Greyhound does, I wonder if they'll bring back the Saskatoon-Calgary run. I imagine the money made by that run was previously split by STC and Greyhound before Alsask took over the Alberta leg.

3 hours ago, SirFrimFram said:

None have approval just yet. Meaning on June 1, there won't be ANY bus service that isn't interprovincial running in the province.

http://www.publications.gov.sk.ca/deplist.cfm?d=1&c=5107 This is all I can find. The latest releases show who's applied, but that's it. on the SaveSTC fb group, some of the members found out the dates of the hearings for some of the private operators like Carpe Diem and DiCal. Because groups like SaveSTC filed appeals with the traffic board, effectively ALL of the companies have to have hearings before the board before they can commence passenger operations. To be honest, this was one move that I thought was kind of stupid for the SAVE STC group only because it results in a gap of service for everybody.

According to a few members of that group, Greyhound isn't really interested in taking over anything in Saskatchewan which I question, but it will be interesting to see what happens here. If Greyhound does, I wonder if they'll bring back the Saskatoon-Calgary run. I imagine the money made by that run was previously split by STC and Greyhound before Alsask took over the Alberta leg.

I dont know about Calgary to Saskatoon...But I would think Greyhound should at least do a second TCH from Calgary to Regina ..And whoever does do Regina to Saskatoon and P.A. would be smart to interline with Greyhound as a feeder service.  And by the way as far as I read Alsask Bus Lines will drop their passenger service effective June 1 and just haul freight only...I think i recall them looking for drivers in Saskatoon so i would assume their gonna haul freight between Cal and Sask.

I have some crappy pictures of 791 and 785. Over the long weekend I caught 791 from Saskatoon to Regina, and caught 908 back on the holiday Monday. Both ways I ran into 785 at Chamberlain. I'll post pictures later, but they were all taken either inside the terminal or on my bus. I'll edit this post later, but 791 and 908 are the last STC buses I'll get to ride.

Well from the looks of it their are several companies applied for scheduled service . It says several companies have, theirs like 11, but im betting alot of places wont see any service at all. Di Cal looks like they will run Regina-Melville-Yorkton.  Carpe Diem i think may pick up a good bunch, Rider Express looks like may do Estevan,Regina,P.A., Yorkton-Swift Current. Engleheim...possibly close to what Rider Express has applied for,  Im a little on the fence about Alsask Bus they said they will end pass service June 1 but apparently they have applied to HTB. As has a company out of Kindersley and a couple others Including SOUTHLAND which we all know is a division of Pacific Western(could be interesting) Will be interesting to see who buys what assets of STC!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roeco said:

Well from the looks of it their are several companies applied for scheduled service . It says several companies have, theirs like 11, but im betting alot of places wont see any service at all. Di Cal looks like they will run Regina-Melville-Yorkton.  Carpe Diem i think may pick up a good bunch, Rider Express looks like may do Estevan,Regina,P.A., Yorkton-Swift Current. Engleheim...possibly close to what Rider Express has applied for,  Im a little on the fence about Alsask Bus they said they will end pass service June 1 but apparently they have applied to HTB. As has a company out of Kindersley and a couple others Including SOUTHLAND which we all know is a division of Pacific Western(could be interesting) Will be interesting to see who buys what assets of STC!!

Do you have links to specifics? Aside from information on DiCal and Carpe Diem back in April, I don't know much about any of the other operators beyond that many have applied to the HTB.

I wonder if Southland, being  a part of Pacific Western could bring in other motor coaches from the PW fleet and just run them under the Southland name.

I guess there is this http://leaderpost.com/news/local-news/applications-to-provide-passenger-service-come-in-as-stc-shutdown-draws-near but again, the applications don't specify where....

58 minutes ago, SirFrimFram said:

Do you have links to specifics? Aside from information on DiCal and Carpe Diem back in April, I don't know much about any of the other operators beyond that many have applied to the HTB.

I wonder if Southland, being  a part of Pacific Western could bring in other motor coaches from the PW fleet and just run them under the Southland name.

I guess there is this http://leaderpost.com/news/local-news/applications-to-provide-passenger-service-come-in-as-stc-shutdown-draws-near but again, the applications don't specify where....

The applications dont specify where...however if u read carefully such as Rider Express it says buses must be maintained in Saskatoon,Estevan,Yorkton,Swift Current and PA...if u look on their fb that shows where they hope to provide service too..plus their hiring for each of the locations...its kinda easy to figure out. Crown Cab of N Battleford has said Saskatoon via to Ab Sk border. Vanbango is out of Kindersley so ??  Engleheim is in their too...Carpe Diem and Dical too.  You can sorta figure it out that way somewhat. It said Alsask is applying too but ive seen no indication they are doing anything but Greyhound Courier express from Calgary to Saskatoon via Rosetown.

• Like 1

I know this has been asked sort of,  but I thought I'd post this

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/what-could-become-of-stc-depots-1.4142139

How likely is it that Greyhound would at least bid on purchasing the Regina and Saskatoon depots? I mean after all, they'll likely need somewhere to stop if they want to continue to connect their trans-Canada services between AB and Manitoba at the very least.

If they continue to serve Saskatchewan and DON'T buy those depots, would they build new ones?

If they don't have depots in Saskatchewan in which to operate out of what would they do then?

Also would Southlands licence from the HTB allow them to run coaches from other parts of Pacific Western's fleet in theory? Why wouldn't PW apply instead of Southland?

18 hours ago, SirFrimFram said:

I know this has been asked sort of,  but I thought I'd post this

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/what-could-become-of-stc-depots-1.4142139

How likely is it that Greyhound would at least bid on purchasing the Regina and Saskatoon depots? I mean after all, they'll likely need somewhere to stop if they want to continue to connect their trans-Canada services between AB and Manitoba at the very least.

If they continue to serve Saskatchewan and DON'T buy those depots, would they build new ones?

If they don't have depots in Saskatchewan in which to operate out of what would they do then?

Also would Southlands licence from the HTB allow them to run coaches from other parts of Pacific Western's fleet in theory? Why wouldn't PW apply instead of Southland?

By the sounds of it Greyhound wants to do Nothing about Saskatchewan service...Which is disturbing....In Saskatoon and Regina you will probably see them stop at 7 Eleven as their main depots or maybe they will be Flag Stops.

55 minutes ago, roeco said:

By the sounds of it Greyhound wants to do Nothing about Saskatchewan service...Which is disturbing....In Saskatoon and Regina you will probably see them stop at 7 Eleven as their main depots or maybe they will be Flag Stops.

Yeah that's what I have been starting to hear as well. I really hope they reconsider. Carpe Diem just pulled out today. It's really turning into a big mess.

13 minutes ago, GMD1 said:

They do, it was stored inside the new Regina bus depot 

I'm sure if it's still roadworthy a musuem or private collector would buy it.

16 hours ago, SirFrimFram said:

Yeah that's what I have been starting to hear as well. I really hope they reconsider. Carpe Diem just pulled out today. It's really turning into a big mess.

I'm sure if it's still roadworthy a musuem or private collector would buy it.

Ive noticed quite a few major corridors should be ok. Regina to Saskatoon-Estevan-Moose Jaw-Swift Current  and Saskatoon to P.A. should all be covered.  Tiger is doing most of the Gcx for Greyhound to 155 locations in Sk.  Which is good for shipping services. We'll have to c how things play out as the summer progresses.

At the least some of these other companies should interline passengers somewhow into Greyhounds network, that would at least help. I thought at very least Greyhound would have done at min. 1 schedule a day Regina-Saskatoon-P.A.

• 1 month later...

Well we now know ...Di Cal out of Melville is doing a Regina-Melville-Yorton service and have plans on expanding some service North of Yortkton also,Rider Express is doing Regina to Saskatoon along with planned services Regina to Estevan, Swift Current and Yorkton and I think P.A.  Forward Coach is planning to do Regina-Saskatoon-P.A., Alsask just received approval to do Saskatoon to Alsask which means a Saskatoon to Calgary connection. Engleheim has said they will do several scheduled services in the future as they also received approval....I'd assume u will see other services pop up in the future too...Id imagine their should be enough ridership for a Prince Albert to Yortkon service through Tisdale and Melfort areas too, even if only 3 days a week, also I'd think u should see Daily Prince Albert to Saskatoon service.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The STC bus and trailer fleet has apparently been sold to Hilco Industrial Acquisitions Canada in Ontario.

Saskatchewan government sells bus company assets to Hilco Industrial
The Canadian Press

Published: December 12, 2017

Updated: December 13, 2017 6:05 PM

Joe Hargrave, the minister who was responsible for the Saskatchewan Transportation Company, says the entire fleet and most of the depots have been sold to Hilco Industrial Acquisitions Canada.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Seashore_518203 said:

Thanks very much for posting this link. There are quite a few VINs on there that we did not have before.

No problem!

im just annoyed I can’t see any of the prices they are going for. I would love to pickup one of those 08-10 D series they have and retrofit the interior.

43 of the 45 coaches, & all 31 trailers have now been listed. Of the 2 coaches not listed; one D4500 (which has to be 789); & one D4505, which has to be 904 or 909.                                       Still no photos of the trailers other than 5000-5002.    Also no photos of the coaches that were added later after the original list was posted.