Winnipeg Transit Public Signage

DavidW

What do you think of the Winnipeg Transit electronic signage inside the Millennium Library?

grahameastbound1.thumb.jpg.c546f7621de29ffa81718ad0f2526dea.jpggrahamwestbound1.thumb.jpg.4b4dfef233122d8d22bf5b96b0051da7.jpg

I like the idea of these sort of signage.  I could see these "indoor" signs being installed in some sort of glass box inside transit shelters at major stops. The first generation outdoor signs Winnipeg Transit installed a few years ago have started to fail at a high rate and I'm not sure replacing them with more of the same is the best plan,

I would, however, prefer a different layout of the information on these signs.  The programming on the signs in the Library split up departures into various regions of Winnipeg, but in my experience people looking for their bus aren't really shopping for "any" bus into western Winnipeg (for example).  This is also extra complicated when I'm at the Library trying to get to Osborne Village...  The 18 CORYDON ends up in the western Winnipeg box, and the 60 PEMBINA and 16 OSBORNE end up in the southern Winnipeg box.

I would instead prefer the style used in airports, with the departures listed in chronological order with a gate code.  If "MTS Centre Station" (which is depicted on the Library signs) had two platforms, "E" and "W", then all the departures could be listed together. I would further argue the Station should be designated to have four platforms, adding platform "N" (Smith northbound at Graham) and "S" (Donald southbound at Graham) then route 99 could also be captured.

airportdepartures2.thumb.jpg.8b8b5857ec1f96f5e97303e9fb426968.jpgWinnipeg Airport Departure board

This idea could be expanded to more complex "stations".  I would assign platform letters to a terminal like Polo Park like this:

poloparkterminal1.thumb.jpg.01d9c3636772e19904df580ef2c8a202.jpgPolo Park Terminal Station with assigned platform letters.

• Like 2

They have these displays at St Vital Mall (wing near the Bay)

It seems  a lot of the 3-Line overhead signs are out of order.

With these 3-line signs, they either cycle 3 routes at a time, or keep the next 2, and cycle the bottom route (which occurs right before a schedule change)

• Like 1

Glad to hear you like the idea of "Information Kiosk" style signage, even if you don't love the style of the output.  Good for Transit to hear.

Transit's working on getting these displays into a form that can be used outdoors, however equipment that can handle the climate of Winnipeg means a regular TV or monitor isn't up to the task.

I was in Halifax a few years ago, their transit terminals have displays that are much more like an airport's arrivals/departures style format. 

There is also the Transitscreen company appearing in other cities, that has a different format again -- simple but effective.

• 6 months later...

The buswatch electronic signs at key bus stops seem to be in their final decline. Maybe it's just where I travel most but the removed or non-functioning signs seem to be getting more and more frequent.  Buses may last for 12 (or 18) years, but IT devices are pretty old at 5 years. (I wonder if refreshing them is another of the program cuts due to the Pallister govermnent funding reductions...)

8 hours ago, DavidW said:

The buswatch electronic signs at key bus stops seem to be in their final decline. Maybe it's just where I travel most but the removed or non-functioning signs seem to be getting more and more frequent.  Buses may last for 12 (or 18) years, but IT devices are pretty old at 5 years. (I wonder if refreshing them is another of the program cuts due to the Pallister govermnent funding reductions...)

I have noticed that too David. Its too bad that the Buswatch signs are breaking down. Luckily at the stops with non-functioning signs, there are timetables there. What doesn't make any sense is that some of the broken Buswatch signs are along the Transitway, most of which are only 5 years old this year! (except for Jubliee Station)

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Some of the True Form (TruForm?) bus stop signs look pretty ragged.  The adhesive vinyl seems to melt off in the sun...

This is Goulet (or is it Marion) westbound at St. Mary's Road:

winnipeg-CWTSGouStMWB-daw2019May28.thumb.jpg.fd94e358f2dc1e8409e6981fd98142f7.jpg  28 May 2019

I find that transit doesn't do a good job at replacing damaged signage either, the stop at SB mcphillips and logan has been damaged from a car crash months ago and all they did was take out all the route information leaving only the top part saying logan, that would confuse a lot of riders and they even took out the part that said the stop number. I figured if something like that happens they should at least put a tag on the damaged bus stop sign saying the stop number and routes that stop there 

• Confused 1

I'm surprised that the city doesn't have bilingual bus stop signs in St. Boniface. The stops have only the English direction (eastbound, westbound, northbound or southbound). There's no est, ouest, nord or sud respectfully on the signs. Winnipeg specifies in contracts that St Boniface is bilingual yet I haven't seen a sign with any French on it except for the street name.

23 hours ago, Viafreak said:

I'm surprised that the city doesn't have bilingual bus stop signs in St. Boniface. The stops have only the English direction (eastbound, westbound, northbound or southbound). There's no est, ouest, nord or sud respectfully on the signs. Winnipeg specifies in contracts that St Boniface is bilingual yet I haven't seen a sign with any French on it except for the street name.

Agreed - just another cost-cutting measure courtesy of the City of Winnipeg... honestly I'm even amazed the DART service still exists in St. B. I've never seen anybody use it in my time living in Winnipeg, if anything, the driver just looked eternally bored... 

8 hours ago, armorand said:

Agreed - just another cost-cutting measure courtesy of the City of Winnipeg... honestly I'm even amazed the DART service still exists in St. B. I've never seen anybody use it in my time living in Winnipeg, if anything, the driver just looked eternally bored... 

I've actually seen that DART service decently used in the past year or two that I've been observing the route. The No Frills on Marion tends to get frequent DART drop-offs, as well as St. B Hospital and the cathedral area.

• 2 months later...
On 6/2/2019 at 2:57 PM, Viafreak said:

I had to laugh the first time I called Telebus in St. Boniface... The automated voice said /TA chee/ instead of /ta SHAY/  for Tache.  On Portage it was /SPRAWg/ instead /SPRAYg/ for Sprague, so the automaton was an equal opportunity name mangler.

(Does anyone call Telebus anymore?)

• 3 months later...
On 9/1/2019 at 12:25 AM, DavidW said:

I had to laugh the first time I called Telebus in St. Boniface... The automated voice said /TA chee/ instead of /ta SHAY/  for Tache.  On Portage it was /SPRAWg/ instead /SPRAYg/ for Sprague, so the automaton was an equal opportunity name mangler.

(Does anyone call Telebus anymore?)

I've literally never used it. BusTXT (when it actually works) and the website are the ways to go.

• Like 1