Mobile Fare Payment & TVM Replacement

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/calgary-transit-mobile-ticket-app-arrives-as-bus-ctrain-ridership-ticks-up-after-covid-19-restrictions

Calgary Transit mobile ticket app arrives as bus, CTrain ridership ticks up after COVID-19 restrictions

The app is available now for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.justride.calgary

I'm curious why they opted for a separate app instead of integrating it into Transit App.

CT says one needs to download the app from the app store, but my searches for "My Fare" turned up nothing that says "I'm for Calgary" on the iOS app store.  After a tweet to CT, I find out that it's not available for iOS yet!  <facepalm>

Jon

• Sad 1

There are plenty of customers expressing their disappointment to Transit on Twitter. I feel bad for the social media person having to deal with this, but frankly, Transit deserves the earful. They should have known the app was not ready for Apple products and should not launched it. Or they should have staged the launch based on the operating system. This issue is made worse by the fact the mayor made a huge deal out of this app yesterday. There was a press event and everything.
For everyone’s sake, I hope the iOS app’s launch delay is minimal for here on in.

For fellow Android users, make sure to search for "My Fare", and not "Calgary Transit"/"Calgary Transit payment"/"Calgary Transit fare" or any other similar logical search terms that will return a null result.

(I've tweeted them to try to make the app more visible for people searching for "Calgary Transit")

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TimmyC62 said:

For fellow Android users, make sure to search for "My Fare", and not "Calgary Transit"/"Calgary Transit payment"/"Calgary Transit fare" or any other similar logical search terms that will return a null result.

(I've tweeted them to try to make the app more visible for people searching for "Calgary Transit")

It’s as if they’re intentionally trying to make it hard to find and use!! 😂

• Like 1

On Android; I found the app easy enough, bought my bus pass, and had no issues on the way to work. 

I think I'll buy some bus tickets for rare occasions that my phone battery dies though; or maybe pick up a small power bank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreadteir said:

On Android; I found the app easy enough, bought my bus pass, and had no issues on the way to work. 

I think I'll buy some bus tickets for rare occasions that my phone battery dies though; or maybe pick up a small power bank.

Great idea! I sometimes kept spare tickets around even in the past, just in case.

• Like 1

Just downloaded it and I already love it. This will make riding transit so much easier!

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 12:52 AM, downbeat said:

Great idea! I sometimes kept spare tickets around even in the past, just in case.

I just get paper. Paper always. That way, if my phones dead or without internet access, i won't get fined $300ish for not having a "fare product" on me. 

If thats the case though... so if I were to get checked with this app, and the app doesn't work, yet I have an non-validated ticket on me that hasn't been validated at the train station... will we still get fined? Or would we have a free pass & a warning? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, armorand said:

If thats the case though... so if I were to get checked with this app, and the app doesn't work, yet I have an non-validated ticket on me that hasn't been validated at the train station... will we still get fined? Or would we have a free pass & a warning? 

I think it's safe to say if there is a known issue with the app not working you'll get a free pass. 

If it's because your phone isn't working for what ever reason, then personally, I'd say tough shit. 

If a customer hasn't made sure that they will have a device capable of displaying the fare media when required, that's on them. 

It would just be like if I tried to tell a fare checker that I have a bus pass and I forgot it at home. Could be 100% true, but I'd still get a fare evasion ticket because how many times have they heard that excuse?

Certainly, if you're a daily rider whoe usually catches the same bus with the same driver they could give you a break and even give you a transfer, but on LRT, that's not going to be the case.

And how many times in a day do fare checkers encounter someone without a validated fare but they have unvalidated tickets on them and try to pull that excuse? 

• Like 3

On 7/1/2020 at 11:11 PM, Dreadteir said:

DON'T buy electronic fares unless you're able to use them almost immediately.  Who would've thought they needed to expire purchased electronic tickets?

Last saturday, a friend and I went out to ride a bus with another friend.  I bought two tickets on MyFare and found out that I didn't need to buy two.  It's now a week later and Transit has my $7.00 for two tickets and I could only use one.  The other one expired.  I'm not happy with the fact that you can't purchase tickets when you have room on the credit card and expect them to last more than a week.  Gift Cards can't expire, and neither can paper tickets.  Why does Transit see fit to steal money from people?

Jon

7 minutes ago, Jon Calon said:

Gift Cards can't expire, and neither can paper tickets.  Why does Transit see fit to steal money from people?

I think you might have a valid point here, Jon. Bus fares DO have a specific cost tied to them, $3.50, to be specific. As such, I wonder if they could be counted as gift cards under Alberta's Gift Card Regulations, due to a bus ticket having a cash value.

I would give 311 a call as the regulation (https://open.alberta.ca/publications/gift-cards#summary) requires you to first contact the business and give them the opportunity to comply with the regulation. If this does not work, it might be worth calling Service Alberta’s Consumer Contact Centre at 1-877-427-4088 for help.

The money customers lose on expiring tickets on MyFare could quickly add up to a lot of money, depending how popular the App gets in the future.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Used it several times since launch. It's SO nice to not have to do the math on whether or not I should buy a monthly pass, and never being stuck with that "oh, no" moment when I forgot to buy a pass before the 1st of the month, and now have to trudge home and scrape up some change or find a ticket.

I also may or may not have used it to buy and activate a ticket immediately after getting on a train rather than use the machine on the platform and consequently miss said train. May or may not.😁

• Like 2

The myFare app passed every test I threw at it during my recent visit. For each of the 5 days I used the system, I bought a day pass either in the early morning or the night before, then activated it before my first trip. After that, it was just a matter of calling up the pass, then tapping it on the bus reader - valid every time. Twice aboard the CTrain I was checked; on one trip the inspector used his portable reader to check it, kiddingly grumbling that it was only the second time that day. I saw others using it too, which hints at its apparent popularity. Sometimes the pass was slow to load, but that was probably my phone; it's an older one, coming due for replacement soon.

• Like 4