Transit in Vancouver: Questions and Answers

Enviro 500

1 hour ago, VancouverTrolleybus said:

Any #14 night trips that extends to Kootenay Loop?

No, last 14 trip to Kootenay Loop departs UBC at 18:33/6:33p on weekdays and 18:35/6:35p on weekends. Which is still dumb in my opinion as it leaves the entire stretch between Renfrew and Kootenay without any evening local service until the N35 starts up late at night.

2 hours ago, 8010 said:

No, last 14 trip to Kootenay Loop departs UBC at 18:33/6:33p on weekdays and 18:35/6:35p on weekends. Which is still dumb in my opinion as it leaves the entire stretch between Renfrew and Kootenay without any evening local service until the N35 starts up late at night.

Then what’s are these three?

4D69A545-13C1-444C-9309-EF5A5B52957C.jpeg

Though on Fridays only.

89ADF47F-67F6-4CC6-AD74-4B44697A9EA4.jpeg

15 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

Those are known internally as the "Bingo Specials". If I remember right, they're blocks 97, 98 and 99 on the 022 line group.

1. But Why are them called “Bingo Specials”,  because them does three one-way trips, or there is money on the bus? Or them are diesels.

2. And why doesn’t them operate due to COVID?

0F3DE515-04C6-4870-A252-B4595A5BA239.jpeg

1 hour ago, captaintrolley said:

Probably because Bingo Halls and similar establishments are not in operation at the moment 'due to covid'.

That (jokes of course) and TransLink is probably still too broke to reinstate those three trips since their current funding isn’t enough to have the entire network running normally again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, 8010 said:

That (jokes of course) and TransLink is probably still too broke to reinstate those three trips since their current funding isn’t enough to have the entire network running normally again.

BINGO Halls are considered gathering places & are shut down due to Covid. Because of that these runs are currently not required.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 10/5/2020 at 8:19 PM, Express691 said:

The reason Expo Line trains end at New Westminster at the end of service is because there is a massive backlog of trains getting into OMC1 for the night. It stretches past 22nd Street Station. Co-incidentally, there are no connecting buses at 22nd by the time the last trains arrive. At New West, there's still the N19, 109 and 106.

I actually always wanted to know about this! I assumed it to be merely the lack of connecting buses, but that makes even more sense. I ended up on one of those last trains to New Westminster only before and then took a combination of the 123 and the 144 to get home to the Royal Oak Stn area when I lived there.

The 109 having a super late night run on weekdays (thus offering that connection to Lougheed TC) I actually had no idea of. Super interesting. Though it doesn't leave that long after the last Expo train to Lougheed (which the last Expo train to New West does connect to at Columbia) and seems to be out of sync with the last N19 to downtown as well.

• 2 months later...

Did the ransomware attack affect the automatic operation of destination signs based on GPS data? I have seen two buses running the 410 22nd St. displaying the incorrect message: one was an XN40 showing "410 Brighouse" while the other was a Nova showing "104 22nd St." Both buses had departed from Brighouse and were heading north on No. 3.

1 hour ago, Community Shuttle said:

Did the ransomware attack affect the automatic operation of destination signs based on GPS data? I have seen two buses running the 410 22nd St. displaying the incorrect message: one was an XN40 showing "410 Brighouse" while the other was a Nova showing "104 22nd St." Both buses had departed from Brighouse and were heading north on No. 3.

Maybe something about GPS signals on No. 3 Road?

3 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

No, with the ransomware attack affecting the system that the buses use, they couldn't update them with this sheets data, so any blocks that are different from what they were last sheet don't work, thus having the automatic destination sign changing also not work.

1 hour ago, VancouverTrolleybus said:

Oh, here’s a question:

The Rudolph bus at Joyce Station on December 31st showed either Block/Run 041 009 or 041 09-. The previous sheet states no run 009 or in the 090’s. So how could a 41 bus have a run 9 or 90-something?

EE5ADB0B-03EE-4F4A-96AE-F78A289B286E.thumb.jpeg.431f7ddbb9cc5496ce7f52bb78d9c94e.jpeg

That was actually block 67 on the 41, the run box was incorrect. It leaves VTC at 13:00 and cuts in service at Crown and it's out till 26:09.

I know because it was the block ahead of me that day 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, 8010 said:

Are Vancouver trolleys able to backs up? As in, go backwards?

As with any bus, it is preferable to have a spotter when backing up, and backing up through a switch might not be advisable, but other than that, should be no problems.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

Yes ... why wouldn't they be able to backup ? 🤨

Well, the poles.

15 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

As with any bus, it is preferable to have a spotter when backing up, and backing up through a switch might not be advisable, but other than that, should be no problems.

Good to hears.

2 hours ago, VancouverTrolleybus said:

Will posts this here instead of on the Trolleybus Discussion thread:

Are Vancouver trolleys able to backs up? As in, go backwards?

When the bus is in ECU mode, yes.

When the poles are up and you're on straight wire, although not recommended because of the design of the carbon shoe, but yes and is done quite often.

• Thanks 1