Transit in Vancouver: Questions and Answers

Enviro 500

On 2/9/2019 at 8:14 PM, Millennium2002 said:

Question. Does TransLink sponsor TRAMS as a whole or just specific TRAMS vehicles? I ask because they recently posted on Facebook that they'll be at the Spring Festival parade tomorrow, and surprisingly the Transit Museum bus pictured now has a TransLink logo on it...

Definitely not as a whole. TRAMS seemed to have been fully sponsored at one point when they were based in STC. Then they left for some reason and TransLink tore down the old TRAMS facility.

4 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

Definitely not as a whole. TRAMS seemed to have been fully sponsored at one point when they were based in STC. Then they left for some reason and TransLink tore down the old TRAMS facility.

Funding cuts on TL's side as well as need for space at STC

• Thanks 1

Winter Tires!   When the Brill and Fageol's were roaming the streets of Vancouver the rear tires were always something that resembled a snow tire.   From what I recall they were usually some form of recap / Bandag.   In the snow mess a few days ago I pulled up beside the rear tire of a Nova at a stop light.  So here is a bus plowing through the slush and muck, with what appeared to be a summer tire that was probably 60% worn.   From a legal point of view is this acceptable?   What is the take by ICBC, and the police.   When did the tire standard change?   Are today's drivers comfortable being on the road with junk tires like these?    I'm sure there are many other questions that come to mind, but this will give you folks something to think about the next time you board a local bus on a snow day.

14 minutes ago, YVR said:

Winter Tires!   When the Brill and Fageol's were roaming the streets of Vancouver the rear tires were always something that resembled a snow tire.   From what I recall they were usually some form of recap / Bandag.   In the snow mess a few days ago I pulled up beside the rear tire of a Nova at a stop light.  So here is a bus plowing through the slush and muck, with what appeared to be a summer tire that was probably 60% worn.   From a legal point of view is this acceptable?   What is the take by ICBC, and the police.   When did the tire standard change?   Are today's drivers comfortable being on the road with junk tires like these?    I'm sure there are many other questions that come to mind, but this will give you folks something to think about the next time you board a local bus on a snow day.

Here's a news article from a much snowier city with some opinions and research: https://globalnews.ca/news/4550209/calgary-bus-tire-traction/

It actually makes mention of some testing TransLink did.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YVR said:

This info is from a CMBC shop foreman I work with because I was genuinely curious about this whole winter tire thing with transit buses. The tires used on the buses are basically all season tires with aggressive tread, and are of a compound that is the exact same for a winter tire. Year or two ago with the whole media fiasco with transit buses getting stuck in snow with crap tires caused CMBC to start switching winter tires onto all the buses. The winter tires on now are the exact same tire like what they use for the other seasons. Again, only difference is the compound of the tire. So yes, you probably saw a summer tire on that Nova, but it is made for winter application as well.

As for legal tread for commercial vehicles, if I remember (from when I worked at Greyhound) it was nothing lower than 4/32" of tread is allowed. New tires are 11/32" tread depth. 

Tires do make a difference in performance and comfort for the driver in snowy situations. Brand, Make, Model, etc. For example sake, my work runs Michelin XDN2 tires which perform very well in the snow going up and down the Coq. The tire in the colder temp maintained the flexibility to be able to get better traction in the snow and ice. We ran a set of Yokohama tires but found the sidewalls too stiff and the tire wore down too fast. Bridgestone tires we ran also just kept giving us problems in the snow. It's trial and error with finding the best tire that works for whatever application. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

325632F8-7584-4FC7-866E-057013B567EA.thumb.jpeg.0f7c51101d29821d3499c213d69cb6d1.jpeg

We’re trying Michelin XZA2s on our artics as a trial.

How are they in terms of cupping wear on the edges? On our scheduled service coaches they use recap Michelin Synergy's which do wear a bit faster but cup pretty good too from the turning.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I got a question here that I hope somebody would be able to answer.

So when the C40LFR's are undergoing refurbishment, do they also get new CNG tanks or do they keep it as is. If they aren't getting re-tanked what would be the point of refurbishing them if the tanks are left to expire within the next few years or do they swap the tanks when they expire. 

3 hours ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

So when the C40LFR's are undergoing refurbishment, do they also get new CNG tanks or do they keep it as is. If they aren't getting re-tanked what would be the point of refurbishing them if the tanks are left to expire within the next few years or do they swap the tanks when they expire. 

I think if there's any rust or signs it'll fail in the next few (any) years they have left then yes i think they'll replace them. 

If a bus looks really in bad shape or like 8054 etc will they get a new body and engine etc with the old fleet number and vin? 

So my point in my sense. (Sorry if it's off topic) Since bctransit when they refurbished the d40lf in the 2000s (some in 2009 i think) they replaced the seat covers. The only one in the 1998 group (9815-9890(?) ) That has the old covers that I've seen is 9889 in Victoria. I think it has half like ours (the ones it came with) and half or just front ones with red markings (same ones their 9200 novas came with). When the whistling 9839 came back it stopped whistling for a long ish time. Once 9201 came back it came with the new seat covers and cameras etc (**this is just a sample and may not be fully listed)

So hard to say if they'll replace the CNG tank. Or keep it. But to me if it's in bad shape it'll be replaced or if it's too costly maybe retired.

22 hours ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

I feel like I answered this question before but, whatever.

CNG tanks have historically been rated and/or certified for 12-15 years. There’s various pressure testing ways that can recertificate CNG tanks. Previously, when tanks are about to expire, they’ve been changed over to Diesel(See C40/C40LF) For slightly more power and/or reliability. Or retrofitted with new tanks/engines. (LACMTA). Based on what the agency’s needs are and such. 

But as it stands right now, translink can do one of two things.

1) Have then recertified. Which might actually be cheaper and replace whichever tanks aren’t able to be certified.

2) Convert them to Diesel and lose the CNG parts. Highly doubt this will happen with all the CNG orders and upgrades. 

Personally and professionally I could see translink recertifing them and keeping them in service after being rebuilt. But I’ve been wrong before!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rulerduler said:

I think if there's any rust or signs it'll fail in the next few (any) years they have left then yes i think they'll replace them. 

If a bus looks really in bad shape or like 8054 etc will they get a new body and engine etc with the old fleet number and vin? 

So my point in my sense. (Sorry if it's off topic) Since bctransit when they refurbished the d40lf in the 2000s (some in 2009 i think) they replaced the seat covers. The only one in the 1998 group (9815-9890(?) ) That has the old covers that I've seen is 9889 in Victoria. I think it has half like ours (the ones it came with) and half or just front ones with red markings (same ones their 9200 novas came with). When the whistling 9839 came back it stopped whistling for a long ish time. Once 9201 came back it came with the new seat covers and cameras etc (**this is just a sample and may not be fully listed)

So hard to say if they'll replace the CNG tank. Or keep it. But to me if it's in bad shape it'll be replaced or if it's too costly maybe retired.

OFF TOPIC:
Regarding the 1998 D40LF refurbishments that BC Transit own, they were refurbished around 2011 actually. I have a collection of photos from an ex-driver who used to also deliver buses. 9889 was the ONLY 1998 D40LF to not get refurbished. Still has the vinyl seats. Oddly enough, the 1996 Flyers are still running, and they NEVER got refurbished. 

309 BCT Buses.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I know this might be out of the scope of "Metro Vancouver" questions but do Central Fraser Valley buses wait in Mission for the WCE if it's late? And do you know if CFV buses issue transfers or is it one fare for one ride?

7 minutes ago, Community Shuttle said:

Are numbers 9792-9796 reserved for WVMT Novas that weren't originally transferred from CMBC?

Not likely. Since their 09 novas will go with the 95xxs (if they go to CMBC) and the 07 novas, 4 of which are 9601-9604. The rest, I'm not too sure.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 2:06 AM, Blake M said:

I know this might be out of the scope of "Metro Vancouver" questions but do Central Fraser Valley buses wait in Mission for the WCE if it's late? And do you know if CFV buses issue transfers or is it one fare for one ride?

I can tell you that CFV buses do issue transfers, and they're time-based like Vancouver's. Late last year I travelled by transit out to Mission a few times, boarding a bus at the WCE station and then using the same transfer on the same route to come back an hour later.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I read that Translink is considering more  Major Service Reductions to the Point Transit in Vancouver would be un recognizable they said...Does Anyone know exactly what this Could Mean??  The Skytrain system is cost effective so Im doubting that would get shut down..frequency reduced Maybe!

They'll get the money. This is just opinion/speculation ... But the governments will have a vested interest in maintaining critical infrastructure for the resumption of a more "normal" economy. If this goes past end of May or June then maybe I could see some more significant cuts. 

25 minutes ago, Dane said:

They'll get the money. This is just opinion/speculation ... But the governments will have a vested interest in maintaining critical infrastructure for the resumption of a more "normal" economy. If this goes past end of May or June then maybe I could see some more significant cuts. 

Unfortunately with the rate it's going, we might actually see these cuts taking place.

I've heard comments comparing this scenario to the service cuts of 2001

1 hour ago, Express691 said:

Unfortunately with the rate it's going, we might actually see these cuts taking place.

I've heard comments comparing this scenario to the service cuts of 2001

So far, literally every public service has been propped up. They might not get everything , but they'll probably do okay.  I suspect those comments are from "ground level" employees. Hopefully its wrong!!

3 hours ago, Dane said:

Unfortunately, I doubt it. Translink isn't owned by the municipal government (it acts as an independent public organization from what I understand, please correct me if I'm wrong) so it can't really ask Vancouver / Metro Vancouver for money all the time. Additionally, both Horgan and Trudeau have said that they will not be bailing out transit systems - sound ridiculous but unfortunately it's true.

• Confused 1