Jump to content
Enviro 500

Transit in Vancouver: Questions and Answers

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

Ok, thank you. But I don't understand why the temporary bus loop at UBC cannot be used for picking up passengers.

Going by these diagrams, it looks like the temporary drop off is going to become the permanent pick up, and the drop off will move to underneath the residence once completed.

Image: UBC

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NorthVanBusFan said:

?

That loop is being replaced by the new student residence, unless I'm mistaking what you mean.

I think the student residence is being built on top of it.

7 minutes ago, Meraki said:

Going by these diagrams, it looks like the temporary drop off is going to become the permanent pick up, and the drop off will move to underneath the residence once completed.

Image: UBC

But the passenger pick up area at button of page could easily used to pick up passengers right now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

I think the student residence is being built on top of it.

But the passenger pick up area at button of page could easily used to pick up passengers right now.

Perhaps they didn't want to unload buses on Wesbrook Mall before heading in to the loop for loading. Their current plan unloads in the loop, then turns right onto Wesbrook Mall to load. Similar to the final plan, but nudged south.

Avoiding the headaches of a full 99 jaywalking across Wesbrook every few minutes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Meraki said:

Perhaps they didn't want to unload buses on Wesbrook Mall before heading in to the loop for loading. Their current plan unloads in the loop, then turns right onto Wesbrook Mall to load. Similar to the final plan, but nudged south.

Avoiding the headaches of a full 99 jaywalking across Wesbrook every few minutes?

That could be true which could be solved by my exchange plan. The passenger pick up area at the bottom of the above photo could be as follows:

The leftist most bay could be Bay 7 which could take the 25 and 33.

The next bay up could be Bay 6 which could take the 41. 

The next bay up could be Bay 5 which could take the 49.

Bay 4 which could be the 99 B-Line. 

The 43 and 480 would stay on the street.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic came up between me another member here on a facebook group in which we aren't really supposed to discuss the current conditions of Translink.

Anyways, we were just wondering where 9201 is. It hasn't been in service since last December, and the Wiki says nothing about it being retired.

I've personally passed by RTC and HTC (TCs that store retired buses) and I haven't seen it parked in any of the death rows or among other in-service units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Community Shuttle said:

This topic came up between me another member here on a facebook group in which we aren't really supposed to discuss the current conditions of Translink.

Anyways, we were just wondering where 9201 is. It hasn't been in service since last December, and the Wiki says nothing about it being retired.

I've personally passed by RTC and HTC (TCs that store retired buses) and I haven't seen it parked in any of the death rows or among other in-service units.

Look, there is no need to create a whole new thread just for one bus. It's probably under refurbishment right now. Buses under refurbishment typically take 3-4 months to complete refurbishment, and 9201 is well within that time frame. 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite a few orions haven't seen service for a month or more, which is completely normal, even if they aren't getting refurbished (in fact, some of them already are). Last year, 9205 wasn't seen for 11 months, then out of the blue resumed work at PTC.

Currently the orions that haven't seen service in the past few weeks include:

9201, 9202, 9218, 9231, 9232, 9246, 9250, 9255, 9257, 9262, and 9269 (I originally put 9206 in this list, but looks like that one came back as of today)

I agree with Dr. BusFreak that this is a pointless and unnecessary topic - in the future, try find an existing topic that may be relevant to your question (for example, the bus retirement thread or even the generic questions about translink thread). We appreciate it ;)

Edit: that being said, if you ever go past RTC/HTC and DO see an orion parked in the retirement lanes, and no one else has mentioned it yet, that would be a fine time to start a generic topic related to the retirement of orions. As sad as I am about it, that will probably be within the next couple of year or so...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can I meet up with some of you guys?  I'm at Coquitlam central right now waiting for 169, then Skytrain to 22nd st Stn, then 410 to Aberdeen mall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Renee said:

How can I meet up with some of you guys?  I'm at Coquitlam central right now waiting for 169, then Skytrain to 22nd st Stn, then 410 to Aberdeen mall.

O god I was going to go but never mind I hate being with other random people for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, buizel10 said:

O god I was going to go but never mind I hate being with other random people for some reason.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that :(

I'm outside HTC now waiting for the 410 back to 22nd st Stn.  Maybe another time? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Renee said:

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that :(

I'm outside HTC now waiting for the 410 back to 22nd st Stn.  Maybe another time? 

e37.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Renee said:

Sorry I missed it >_<

What was it? 

You didn't miss it; there was a formatting error with my post that took me a few minutes to fix.

If you want to meet with people from this forum, you should attend transit-related events (TRAMS excursions, the first day of a new route or last day of an outgoing route). Blindly asking to meet with people you don't know is pretty unorthodox and is unlikely to result in success; you'll have to work on establishing some sort of a connection through some other means before people feel comfortable meeting.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry it came off that way.  I attend as many events as I can, but I've been away for the past six months.  I'm a bit of an extrovert, and there may well be others on this forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Renee said:

I'm sorry it came off that way.  I attend as many events as I can, but I've been away for the past six months.  I'm a bit of an extrovert, and there may well be others on this forum. 

There is no need to apologize; you're not doing anything wrong. I'm just trying to get you to understand why people may be a bit apprehensive about meeting up. If there are people you already know, I think you'd be better off consulting with them as opposed to trying to establish something new with strangers online.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Citaro said:

There is no need to apologize; you're not doing anything wrong. I'm just trying to get you to understand why people may be a bit apprehensive about meeting up. If there are people you already know, I think you'd be better off consulting with them as opposed to trying to establish something new with strangers online.

Adding on, TRAMS charters are a really good start if you want to meet up with fans of all ages.

1 of the admins drives out of HTC and 2 other former board members (also friends of mine) are also operators; One of whom created the general sightings thread. The other was featured on the Vancouver Sun a few months back.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, buizel10 said:

Maybe we should make like a thread and have like official CPTDB foam sessions.

I wish that wasn't sarcastic :P I think a thread would be pretty handy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, buizel10 said:

But it isn't.

 

58 minutes ago, buizel10 said:

Maybe we should make like a thread and have like official CPTDB foam sessions.

 

4 hours ago, Renee said:

I'm sorry it came off that way.  I attend as many events as I can, but I've been away for the past six months.  I'm a bit of an extrovert, and there may well be others on this forum. 

 

Funny how you guys are talking about this now. There was a topic I created a long time ago, to see if it was possible to meet up with other foamers.

Used to post in there occasionally. Go for broke I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×